Quantcast

choosing a bike for my 9 year old son

mr_dove

Monkey
Jan 18, 2002
Denver, CO
I'm shopping for a new bike for my 9 year old son. I think we've looked at most of the companies that make decent quality kids bikes

Giant
Specialized
Trek
Kona (awesome but $$$$)

I have a few questions for those who may know more than I.

Gearing: most 24" bikes come in either 7 speed versions or 24 speed versions. I know that 24 speed bikes have alot of gear duplication. How handicapped will he be riding rough terrain with only 7 gears?

Shocks: Most 24" bikes have extremely poor shocks. Is it possible to replace the shock on a 24" kids bike?

Sizing: Are there any 26" bikes that might fit a rider who would otherwise choose a bike with 24" tires? All the 26" bikes with 14" frames were too large.

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
Diamond Back makes a 24 in kids bike too with 7 speed. most 24 in kids will come this way and the parts on it will be low end. i know the DB has elastometer front fork on it. i don't think there are any upgrades for the fork. but why would you since the kid will probably out grow it in a year or 2. as far as 26in goes, 14 in frames have been the smallest i've seen, anything smaller would probably be a custom job. here's a bike that Ted Wojcik made for his son Cody

Monstarz

Chimp
Feb 5, 2011
Sedona, AZ
Tough questions. Kinda hard since he's 9. Like he's inbetween a little kid and someone ready to get serious about biking.

About the gears - most of the time I tell people that it's less so gears and more so how hard your legs can go. 24 speed might offer more versatility, but most 7 speed children's bikes will be geared towards the lower range anyway.

I'm not sure about finding quality shocks for a 24 inch wheel. Probably out there. I honestly am not experienced enough to have a clue.

Like basically everyone else said, the smallest frame I've seen on 26 inch wheels was a 14.

Glad you're putting effort into getting him a quality bike, and not some BSO. I'd say take him to your LBS, they let him do some test rides, ask they boys and girls there your questions and go from there. Good luck.

mr_dove

Monkey
Jan 18, 2002
Denver, CO
I ended up getting him a 24" Specialized Hotrock from 2010. I saved $100 on it from a roadie shop that was clearing out the last of his kids bike and mountain bikes.

It has 7 speeds and something like 55mm of travel in the front fork. I'm still concerned about upgrading the fork partly because this is the oldest of 3 boys and the other 2 are most likely going to inherit the bike in a few years.