Quantcast

choosing dh tyres

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Started at 27 (my "normal" front pressure) and went up to about 36 by the time I flatted that one. Everytime I had an issue, I upped the pressure. I figured I was just pegging stuff with too little pressure as well. Ricky, Heikki and Brian at the e.13 rig couldn't figure out what i was doing either. I even had Ricky check the pressure to make sure I wasn't seeing things.

That said, I have never had issues that bad any other place at any other time in 4 years, so who knows. The grip their compound offers is second to none, and the race suppot is fantastic. Mike is awesome. He also had no idea what I was doing when i kept coming over to tubes and with mangled tires.
Cool, I remember the first post I saw from you about how bad of a weekend you had up there. Nothing sucks more than traveling so far for a race and getting a flat.

My first year going to Mount Snow I was running an older Michelin DH tire before the Comp 24's, 16's, etc. were brought into the states. Also at that time Michelin didn't have a true DH tube. I got a flat 1/4 in my race run and had to race a flat all the way down the Mt. I still finished well for having a flat but after the Yard Sale section the tube cut in half and cam out about 1 foot. It was hitting my ass all the rest of the way down. Very funny but started hurting after hitting the lower high section. Right after I went through the finish line it got stuck in my rear disc break. I was lucky to even finish. I was so pissed at driving 17 hrs for that, but it was all made up the next year there when I beat the field by 12 secs.

rep_1969

Chimp
Oct 24, 2006
I ride 2.7 Maxxis Minions DHF front and rear but I ride the 60 duro due to tire life and terrain. I'm thinking about going to the 3C's for better traction on the rocks and roots.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Get slow reezay (SRY).

I alway have problems with the knobs ripping off with the ST.

The 60 will last longer than both but the traction is not as good.

I always run SRY and love em.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Get slow reezay (SRY).
I alway have problems with the knobs ripping off with the ST.
The 60 will last longer than both but the traction is not as good.
I always run SRY and love em.
I wish Maxxis still made the 50 Duro.....that was their best compound IMO.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
from site i order i dont have 3c only these:

Slow Reezaay 40a
Super Tacky 42a
MaxxPro 60a

so which one?..
as Kanter said...if you want standard tire rubber that will last forever, get the 60. If you are loking for a 'sticky' type tire, go with the Reezaay (40). The 42 is prone to having complete knobs just rip/tear off.

Downhiller

Turbo Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
CROATIA....europe....CROATIA

Eurotrash

Monkey
Mar 2, 2002
Go with the slow reazay, grip is the same if not better and with that kind of price dif just buy more tyres. Seriously 67€ for a tyre!

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
im running hutchinson barracudas. they are a pretty good tire from what i can tell so far. i think they make a better front tire than a back tire because these tires dont want to break loose, they really need to be pushed in the corners though. i think a barracuda up front with an octopus in back would be a great tire combo

Orfen

Monkey
Feb 22, 2004
UP, michigan
For those of your runing Maxxis as a front tyre.
1. Do you prefer High Roller or Minion DHF?
2. Why do you like one over the other?
3. What type of terrain do you ride on?

Danka!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

Danka!
I ride mostly in dry loose, high elevation conditions.

Minion dhf. The high rollers work great in loose and even somewhat muddy stuff but so do the minions........and actually better in most respects IMO. They just feel more dialed to me in that they release and hook back up more controllably than the high rollers.

I usually run a mobster in the rear because it has better braking edges than a dhf but high rollers are actually better if it's REALLY loose. Those deep channels work like a champ at somewhere like mammoth where a lot of the surface is like small grain gravel.

I bought a bunch of mobsters I found cheap so that's part of it. Plus the center knobs are little less intrusive so I believe they roll just a tad faster on hard surfaces.

Something interesting is the difference in compounds in relation to coasting speed. Last year I was riding bootleg with someone who has an extremely similar bike setup and is about the same size. With soft compound front and rear on his bike, I was catching up to him just coasting and had to brake a lot. I mentioned that to him and that I was running a 60d rear. He switched his rear tire the next day and we were coasting the lower sections at just about identical speeds. I thought that was kind of revealing.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah

Danka!
I ride pretty much the same stuff as Kidwoo. Although the trails in the Santa Cruz mountains are a bit different in the winter...a bit more moisture and the dirt is pretty dense.

Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to try a High Roller as a front tire on my DH bike but at this point the Minion DHF is my tire of choice for DHing. I like to run 2.7’s (or 2.5’s if that's all I have). I haven’t tried the 3C compound yet – but I prefer SRY over ST for DH. I seem to get more life out of SRY.

Strangely enough, for trail riding I like to run narrower tires – e.g. 2.35. But strangely enough, I prefer the ST High Roller in that size over the Minion DHF. I usually go back and forth between the High Rollers and Hutchinson Barracuda for trail riding. The ST HR rolls much slower than the Hutch but offers way more grip when cornering (or for my cornering style I should say).

RogerH

Monkey
Jan 22, 2004
Sweden
ok i need advice i saw that CRC get 3c minions, but there is no info how hard-soft they are only "26 x 2.5 Dual Ply 3C"

check links:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=13488

and

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=13487

or should i buy normal minions but "26 x 2.5 Dual Ply Slow Reezay 40a"

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?modelID=4621

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?modelID=4621

so what to choose ?!

thx
Hi Downhiller! CRC are quite expensive on the 3C tires.. I just found out that a Swedish on-line retailer has them for a nicer price.

Check: http://www.cyclecomponents.com/cgi-bin/air_ibutik.fcgi?funk=visa_artikel&artgrp=314&artnr=MAXXIS018&limit=000&extra=000&avd=1&varumarke=000&btg=0&visa=61-90&Sort=A.Beskr&Visn=Std&Kampanj_ID= Long URL! Hope it works!

Only front, though.. and the shipping may be more... But if you buy a bunch! :)

Downhiller

Turbo Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
CROATIA....europe....CROATIA
funny they dont have Croatia in their "delivery countryes" but they have yugoslavia which was take a part in 1990 and they have slovenia which was part of Yu very weird and stupid of them ... i know Cro is not in EU but really 17 years later and they think we are in YU ..

stupid and insulting to me as a croat and other people in bosnia and macedonia i think

i will contact them but dont know would they ship to me....

RogerH

Monkey
Jan 22, 2004
Sweden
Oh, sorry man. I only read "rest of Europe" as shipping zone 2...

Usually the on-line shops in Germany has really good prices. Due to different tax and stuff, so I'm guessing they don't export that much...