Quantcast

Chris King Hub help please!!!

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
My girlfirend just bought a new set of wheels with Chris King hubs.
First day we had them I noticed a "wobble" in the hub like it was loose.
The next day she ran the bike by the shop and they tightened it up.
She rode the bike today to break everything in and when she go it home the hub feels loose again. I have tried everything that looked obvious to tighten up but it still feels loose.
Her King hubs on her other bike don't feel this way so there must be some adjustment I am unaware of.

Looking for someone to clue me in on how to tighten the hub??? She has an XC race in the morning so any advice would be very much appreciated.
Thanks!

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
From the manual (thanks for the link BTW):
"Adjustment of the rear quick-release hub
The following instructions assume that the drive shell is facing to the right:
1. Insert 5 mm hex wrenches into both ends of the axle assembly.
2. Hold left hand stationary and turn right hand counterclockwise 1/4 turn until the assembly is loose.
3. Hold hex wrenches stationary and adjust bearing preload with the adjusting cone. You may use the hub cone adjusting tool if necessary.
4. Advance adjusting cone until it contacts bearing. The rear hub takes a slightly higher amount of preload than “no play”, since some settling may occur while riding.
5. Once preload is set, tighten axle assembly together to 110 inch-pounds.
6. Check adjustment by clamping wheel into frame with quick-release. Ride for 5-10 minutes, check for play or binding, and readjust as necessary. Double check adjustment after the
first 5-10 miles of riding."

It seems I have done this?
I took two 5mm wrenches and tightened the ends caps as much as possible - still loose.

I loosened the end caps as per the instructions above, altough the left side cap always wanted to come loose and the right one didn't. So I wrapped the left "adjusting cone" (I think thats what it is?) with a rag and put some pliers on it to hold it until I got the right side end cap loose.
Loosened the 2.5mm bolt on the clamp ring lookin' thing and pushed it in as much as I could and then re-tightened the clamp ring. Then tightened the end caps - still loose.

Loosened both end caps and loosened the clamp ring, tightened the end caps and THEN trightened the clamp ring - still loose.

What am I missing here?
Do I need the "hub cone adjusting tool"?

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Which CK hub? I had the 20 mm front and the HD rear with fun bolts, and they both required to be readjusted via loosening the 3/32 allen bolt fastener (for a lack of better terms), hand tightening the hub by turning it clockwise, then re-tightening the 3/32 bolt.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
Are you loosening the two 5mm ends and then loosening the 2.5mm bolt and hand tightening the cone???

I haven't worked on one in a long time, and only have a front in my garage to experiment with, but I would back them all off, including the 2.5 and then adjust the cone. Then tighten the 2.5 down and then the end adjustments to lock it.

This is the primary reason I don't like their hubs. This isn't service a consumer should have to do on $500 hubs.

The pic is just here to show the adjustment cone and then I'll take it down.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
If you can get a 2.5mm wrench in there you can adjust the wheel with it on the bike. You may have to remove the rotor for the adjustment, but again it's best to reinstall it on the bike and adjust.

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
That is the exact hub, down to the color!

I got it figured out.
The "adjusting cone" (I think that is what it is?) felt like it was just spinning around before so I assumed it just floated on the axle(?) and that was why there was a bolt to clamp it down.
But I kept turning it this time and it did snug up. Actually so tight I couldn't even turn the hub.
Backed it off just slightly and it is now snug AND turns freely!

Thanks for the help guys.
Snacks appreciates it too. Wish her luck today; first race on her 29'r and first race on a HT.

donkeyWC

Chimp
May 5, 2007
it sounds like you are adjusting it correctly, however you may not be getting the adjusting cone tight enough. the adjusting cone sets the bearing preload. if it is tightened properly (e.g. makes sufficient contact with bearing race) then the bearings should have no play. the last step of tightening the 5mm ends of the axle apply pressure to the adjusting cones to keep them in place; it is basically like using two nuts on a bolt where the first one sets position, this 1st one is analogous to the adjusting cone, and the second nut is tightened against the 1st nut to maintain the 1st's position, and that 2nd nut is analogous the axle end. in otherwords, if you never got the adjusting cones tightened to preload the bearings any amount of reefing on the 5mm axle ends will not load the bearing anymore and your hub will always have play because the axle end bottoms out on the adjusting cone.

if my words have confused you watch the latter part of this chris king video for clarification: hub assembly movie.

edit: it looks like you got it figured out while i was posting. cheers!

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
new ISO hubs come with the adjusting collar, as opposed to the adjusting cone. these are quite easy to fool with. you just loosen the bolt on the collar, then lightly snug. no endcaps are involved.

just thought i'd point that out.

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
OK, so the hub was tight.
On about the fourth of four laps she said she felt something "rattling" in the back.
I checked the hub and its loose again???
What do you need to do to keep them tight?

I seem to remember going through this on her last set too. Maybe after the first few rides and re-tighteneing they stay that way?