Quantcast

Chris King just got own3d

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
scroll to the bottom and see all the new Crank Bro. stuff. They are like the Apple of mountain bikes. it good to see a niche company bringing their design style to run o the mill parts.

between CB and i9 ... so long chris king. it was good while it lasted. but you got fat and didn't push the envelope. you take us for granted. but now your time is over. We dont need you anymore. good luck with your 24mm hubs and price increases with no increase in value.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/2007/shows/eurobike07/?id=results/eurobike077

Anvil

Chimp
Aug 14, 2007
How'z those Cobalt cranks working out for them?

Don't hold your breath for them to dislodge King's any time soon in the headset and hub world.

Speaking of headsets, for the life of my I don't know why more manfu's don't copy the Crupi headset design; bulletproof.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
CB has always been an excellent company engineering wise. Their parts only lacked sex appeal and prestige.

Looks like their working on that.

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
I grew up lusting over King stuff and still do. There will be no other in my book even though the I9 and CC looks good. Now only if King can bring back the 3D violet stuff.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I think Crank Brothers really had a good hole in the pedal world. Some of their other offerings were so-so. Pedal wise lots and lots of people rode eggbeaters and mallets.

It's GOOD though to see them with some new stuff. They've always had nice machined parts......just like every other company. Rim wise.......I don't think that was a smart move but hub wise it might be interesting. I9's are pretty sweet hubs.........and I imagine that crank bro's isn't far off of their design.

King headsets were great, but in the DH/FR world sometimes they weren't so great. But they did get the steelset going. I always liked their hubs, but not their price (as a Hadley/Hope could be had for much less) and have all the axle options. King really dragged their butts on that one.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I'd buy the crank bros headset over a ck... then again, I'd buy most headsets over a ck. the hub on the other hand.... what's with everyone straying away from your standard 32h/36h setup?

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
How'z those Cobalt cranks working out for them?

Don't hold your breath for them to dislodge King's any time soon in the headset and hub world.
The cranks are flexy and it doesn't take much to bend them. Would probably be ok if you are < 140 lbs.

They do have some really nice stuff as well as some ehhhh items.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
i don't think this makes the chris king brand anything less than the first rate merchandise it's always been.

i've had one headset outlast three downhill frames.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
CK comes out with his employees and cooks food at some of our cross races (now that he is based in Oregon). I'm big on supporting local business, so I'll keep my business there just for that reason. BTW, he is a nice guy.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
hm...we'll see. $90, $130, and $300? i don't know. those look a hell of a lot like STAR headsets. apparently they'll function in the same manner. if so, it's going to be a hit or miss deal, in my opinion.

er...i guess they function in the same manner.
The 'Directset' concept uses the cup itself as one of the bearing races. A similar idea is used on the decidedly more exclusive Star headset currently sought by many smaller builders in the handbuilt circles.

The Directset...will use 28-ball retainer-style cartridge bearings.

The mid-duty Iodine will...incorporate 34-ball lower bearings...while Opium will use the max-style bearings both top and bottom.
my STAR headset uses the cups as races, and has 41 loose bearings per cup.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
CB has a long way to go before approaching CK. Stopping their pedals from breaking, failing, falling apart, and so on would be a good start.

Anvil

Chimp
Aug 14, 2007
The cranks are flexy and it doesn't take much to bend them. Would probably be ok if you are < 140 lbs.

They do have some really nice stuff as well as some ehhhh items.
You have to read my comment a little heavier on the sarcasm. The Cobalt cranks have been a bust. Pardon my pun.

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
When crank brothers make pedals that stay on the axle they will do better. IMO they are no better than atom lab

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
When crank brothers make pedals that stay on the axle they will do better. IMO they are no better than atom lab
I do agree that the little nut that holds the spindle down is the only weakness to the basic CB pedal design, however, opening up your pedals once a year and rebuilding them is always a good idea and typically prevents the axle/spindle from separating. Not to mention it's obscenely easy to do.

I had an Eggbeater do it to me (It was three years old with no rebuilds and many thousands of miles), emailed CB and three days later had a rebuild kit in my mailbox...my own negligence, I suppose.

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
I got to admit that is some eye pleasing stuff aesthetically.... I like that they added pins to the mallet and that they finally are adding/have added longer pins tot he 50/50...

the new wheels/cranks/headset all "look" nice!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I do agree that the little nut that holds the spindle down is the only weakness to the basic CB pedal design, however, opening up your pedals once a year and rebuilding them is always a good idea and typically prevents the axle/spindle from separating. Not to mention it's obscenely easy to do.

I had an Eggbeater do it to me (It was three years old with no rebuilds and many thousands of miles), emailed CB and three days later had a rebuild kit in my mailbox...my own negligence, I suppose.
How can I prevent this?

seth505

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
CA
if crankbros. other parts are liek their pedals then poooooo on that, those flat pedals blow

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland

I can sort of see the point in that statement as I Understand that bikes need worked on to keep them running sweet, however my problem with that statement is that my shimano pedals that are 4 years old on my xc bike are still going strong. I even have those DX red DH SPD pedals on my hack/town bike and those things have to be coming up for 10 years old. I have never serviced a shimano pedal!

Sverre

Monkey
Aug 26, 2004
Norwaii
There is only one King, and his name is Chris. CB is not even close to CK. Fancy colours and nice wrapping isn't enough.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I think people should remember the difference between CK and CB:

CK makes their own stuff, and does a great job.
CB has very good designs, and someone in Taiwan makes it for them.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
glad to see some new stuff out there but i dont know this will knock them from their place in the industry lol. The ti headset looks awesome...

I love both king and I9...run them on my bikes now actually.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
I think people should remember the difference between CK and CB:

CK makes their own stuff, and does a great job.
CB has very good designs, and someone in Taiwan makes it for them.
and there you have it.

jcampbell

Chimp
Sep 10, 2007
Just today I was waking into the office and a neighbor employee was walking out with his 29er and showed me his busted crank brothers pedal... My times have never done that.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
yeah, having bearings seize after a few weeks of use, and then having a pedal body rip off an axle while cranking at speed and nearly running headfirst into a tree makes me want to buy more of their products........not....

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
keep buying those headsets made overseas and see how long we have an economy guys. Oh and buy stuff that has no regard for ecology (other than what government prescribes).

Better start buying American made products again if you want to have an economy. Pretty soon the rest of the world won't need us...

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
You're right, could you American's hurry up and **** off and let us have your mountains please? ;)