Quantcast

Chris Kovarik video clip Southridge series

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Nice!

Not a fan of the dual window cut thingys. I feel like I could be missing something cool happening on the opposite window of what I'm watching, and if there's nothing cool to show, then why not just cut it anyways? Sorry, that was the film major in me comming out. Sweet footage tho!

pelo

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
What is he holding up on the podium?

"Hey, check out this book I wrote".

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
It must have been pretty cool to see Kovarik burning up that course all winter, but am I the only one who thinks his results in major races this season might suffer as a result of him spending the winter in CA rather than Australia? I look at it this way - with most of the rest of his competition spending their winters down in Oz/NZ racing (presumably) bigger/tougher courses and deeper fields of riders, those guys have probably been pushing eachother and progressing. Meanwhile, CK's been in SoCal dominating the Southridge series and not really being pushed by anyone.

I'm as big of a Kovarik fan as anyone, so I'm not hating on him at all. I just don't understand why he (or any other aspiring world cup rider) wouldn't take every opportunity possible to step up their game by testing themselves against the best riders possible.

--JP

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
It must have been pretty cool to see Kovarik burning up that course all winter, but am I the only one who thinks his results in major races this season might suffer as a result of him spending the winter in CA rather than Australia? I look at it this way - with most of the rest of his competition spending their winters down in Oz/NZ racing (presumably) bigger/tougher courses and deeper fields of riders, those guys have probably been pushing eachother and progressing. Meanwhile, CK's been in SoCal dominating the Southridge series and not really being pushed by anyone.

I'm as big of a Kovarik fan as anyone, so I'm not hating on him at all. I just don't understand why he (or any other aspiring world cup rider) wouldn't take every opportunity possible to step up their game by testing themselves against the best riders possible.

--JP
my understanding as that part of his reason for being in the US is that he is trying to gain residency or citizenship, etc

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA

--JP
I would think with as much experience as he has it wouldn't make a huge difference where he spends winter.
I know the reason that some of the Aussies and others are so fast is cause they race year round.
but, at some point that has to wear on you and become a disadvantage to race year round, in theory anyway.
Plus I don't think there's that much proggression going on at that level anyway, your that fast already and it's not a continuous progression of skills.
Mostly just being in tip top fitness to nail every section at maximum output.

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
I would think with as much experience as he has it wouldn't make a huge difference where he spends winter.
I know the reason that some of the Aussies and others are so fast is cause they race year round.
but, at some point that has to wear on you and become a disadvantage to race year round, in theory anyway.
Plus I don't think there's that much proggression going on at that level anyway, your that fast already and it's not a continuous progression of skills.
Mostly just being in tip top fitness to nail every section at maximum output.
There's always progression to be had.

slothy

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
Ireland

--JP
kind of aggree, but maybe his sponsor wanted exposure in California.. the southridge tack is not a very technical track really but very very pedally, so maybe thats also what he wanted to focus on.

anyway im sure hes riding lost of other stuff.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802

--JP
Peaty, Minnaar, Hill, Athertons, Beaumont, Pascal, Vasquez, Vouilloz, Barel, Lehikoinen, Fairclough, Gracia . . . and the list goes on of riders who do little to no racing or traveling in the off season. Some barely even ride. There is something to be said about taking time off to re-focus. Even the guys like Rennie and Atkinson racing back in Australia say they don't take it too seriously.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I would think anybody get burned out and need a little time off from the bikes especially even more so for the pros. Southridge seems like a perfect way to get back into the grove. Also I would think he knows how fast he needs to go to beat the best so its more mental and physical preparation needed. They really only race the clock anyway as they go down one at a time.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
kind of aggree, but maybe his sponsor wanted exposure in California.. the southridge tack is not a very technical track really but very very pedally, so maybe thats also what he wanted to focus on.

anyway im sure hes riding lost of other stuff.
Kovariks sponsor is based out of the UK
(Chain Reaction).

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006

DhDork

Monkey
Mar 30, 2007
Hell, AZ
My theory:

Kovarik can approach and carry speed through just about any part of a course as anyone else, if not more. But, if you notice, it seems he doesn't like to pedal much. Being that Southridge is a more 'pedally' course, he may be trying to improve on that aspect.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
My theory:

Kovarik can approach and carry speed through just about any part of a course as anyone else, if not more. But, if you notice, it seems he doesn't like to pedal much. Being that Southridge is a more 'pedally' course, he may be trying to improve on that aspect.
not sure what you've been watching but pedaling has never been a problem for him. It may not look like he pedals much but that's partly because he tends to push a really big gear.

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
Nice watching older guys ride. Fast and control.

As far as training/racing, you have to be happy to perform well and he's probably just happier doing what he's doing. Everyone's fit, it's mostly mental at that level. Maybe he's been riding w/some cali roadies??

kellyn7

Monkey
Apr 12, 2005
San Diego
So if CK wins a world cup race or two this year does that mean next years Winter Series at Fontana will be packed with big name riders??????? Any chance a few of you could just be over analyzing what's going on here and maybe CK just wants to go out and race while he's staying in Southern California and it's as simple as that?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
if you're on another continent or having to pay for flights back and forth, getting help from your sponsor isn't so easy.

Unconsciously, I'd say he's been able to have ALL the winter media to himself while the rest of the Aussie contingent disappears into anonymity to the world. Pretty good plus for his sponsors since I can only assume that in the next few months, the majority of US based photogs are going to have a lot of Kovarik pics printed...that pay the bills.

Jul 16, 2007
I like the clip.I have been shooting with a Panasonic HVX and was wondering what you guys shoot with. Thanks,:clapping: oh and that made Fontana look pretty good.
We use an HVX and a canon XH A1.The HVX is the way to go.No tapes, no drop outs.So we are looking at getting another HVX. Thanks

Mugger

Monkey
Dec 16, 2005
Brisbane, Australia

--JP
Not every pro aussie rider attends every race in aus, Sam hill for one wasn't racing the national champs which is the aus course for this years world cup down under and also next years world champs.

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
Peaty, Minnaar, Hill, Athertons, Beaumont, Pascal, Vasquez, Vouilloz, Barel, Lehikoinen, Fairclough, Gracia . . . and the list goes on of riders who do little to no racing or traveling in the off season. Some barely even ride. There is something to be said about taking time off to re-focus. Even the guys like Rennie and Atkinson racing back in Australia say they don't take it too seriously.
Agreed 100%. At their level you cannot peak year round:lighten:

Lollapalooza

Monkey
Jan 22, 2007
if you're on another continent or having to pay for flights back and forth, getting help from your sponsor isn't so easy.

Unconsciously, I'd say he's been able to have ALL the winter media to himself while the rest of the Aussie contingent disappears into anonymity to the world. Pretty good plus for his sponsors since I can only assume that in the next few months, the majority of US based photogs are going to have a lot of Kovarik pics printed...that pay the bills.
Notice you said US based photogs. He has the AMERICAN winter media. Back in Australia, nobody knows how he's doing in Southridge. They're watching Rennie win national champs and what not.