Quantcast

Chromag bikes

segerton

Chimp
Mar 21, 2004
Anyone ridden one? Looking for a burly steel hardtail for heavy east coast trail/fr use. No park or urban. I think it'll be perfect with my Z150 on the front..

Any others out there like Chromag? It's like that company knew exactly what I was looking for and built it.

Check em out and let me know what you think.

http://www.chromagbikes.com

Zoso

Monkey
Jan 31, 2003
Seattle
I've never ridden one, but I've inspected a frame in person at Evolution in Whistler. The frame was really well made, the welds were solid for sure. The freeride version is a bit hefty for me, but I am definitely considering the 4x-type frame.

segerton

Chimp
Mar 21, 2004
Originally posted by MMcG
How much do they cost?

And what makes them unique or different than all the other burly hardtails out on the market right now?
the freeride version costs about 800. IMO, the geom seems to make it more trail/fr then dj/urban which makes it different than most of the other burly steel hartails out on the market.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Originally posted by segerton
the freeride version costs about 800. IMO, the geom seems to make it more trail/fr then dj/urban which makes it different than most of the other burly steel hartails out on the market.
You could probably get a builder to make you a custom bike based on your personal preferences for less than $800.

Unless that is $800 Canadian - then what does that make it?? Probablay still someting around $650 or so??

segerton

Chimp
Mar 21, 2004
You could probably get a builder to make you a custom bike based on your personal preferences for less than $800.

Unless that is $800 Canadian - then what does that make it?? Probablay still someting around $650 or so??
It's $800 US. Any builders you could recomend? I'm in mass and I've been looking at the AZTECH's as well. U may have heard of them since you're from CT.

Enginerd A2

crappy
Feb 20, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
I briefly looked into getting a TRL, mainly because they come in bigger sizes for tall dudes who still need to climb. The dudes who run the company were very cool, but the frames are a little pricey for my budget. According to the guy I talked to, all the bits and pieces are machined locally, so I would assume the fit and finish is pretty nice.

segerton

Chimp
Mar 21, 2004
Originally posted by KonaJosh
I briefly looked into getting a TRL, mainly because they come in bigger sizes for tall dudes who still need to climb. The dudes who run the company were very cool, but the frames are a little pricey for my budget. According to the guy I talked to, all the bits and pieces are machined locally, so I would assume the fit and finish is pretty nice.
yup, that's what i'm talking about. i'm 6'1 and i don't want 2ft of seatpost hanging out of my bike for the climbs. and i try to climb everything.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
It's $800 US. Any builders you could recomend? I'm in mass and I've been looking at the AZTECH's as well. U may have heard of them since you're from CT.
AZTECHS? Link?

Are you dead set on cromoly?

If so, contact Doug Curtlo of Curtlo Cycles

Or Steve Stickel of Bystickel bikes - not sure if he has a web site up and running but he makes kick ass custom frames.

Just provide them with the specs you are looking for.

There is also a guy who goes by Gonzostrike on MTBR.com who has his own line of steel hardtails coming out or already out - prices are well under $800 if I remember correctly.

Good luck!

segerton

Chimp
Mar 21, 2004
AZTECHS? Link?

Are you dead set on cromoly?

If so, contact Doug Curtlo of Curtlo Cycles

Or Steve Stickel of Bystickel bikes - not sure if he has a web site up and running but he makes kick ass custom frames.

Just provide them with the specs you are looking for.

There is also a guy who goes by Gonzostrike on MTBR.com who has his own line of steel hardtails coming out or already out - prices are well under $800 if I remember correctly.

Good luck!
no link for aztech yet.

i think i am set on cromoly cause i'm coming off a fully and i'm in rocky stuff all the time.

anyone out there made the switch back to a hartail that can advise me on that point? steel or alum? here we go....

thanks for the contacts!!!

Enginerd A2

crappy
Feb 20, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
yup, that's what i'm talking about. i'm 6'1 and i don't want 2ft of seatpost hanging out of my bike for the climbs. and i try to climb everything.
I'm just shy of 6'3 and I ended up getting a used size large Planet X Compo, which is working out quite nicely so far.... It is pretty much my only bike, aside from a fixxie commuter, so it has to do everything. Other frames I was looking at include Surly Instigators, Banshee Morphines, Cove Stiffees, and SC Chameleons. Recently, I ran across a post for Soul Bikes. They have an 18" hardtail that looks decent and the price is most definitely right at $215 (I'm going cheap these days). However, they're pretty new and there isn't much feedback on their frames yet. A bunch of people on this board have gotten "sponsored" by them, but that seems more like a membership discount or something.

Enginerd A2

crappy
Feb 20, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
Sorry to temporarily derail this thread, but what's the deal with them? It seems almost too good to be true. Yeah, I know, Taiwanese frames, small inventory, etc. etc., but does anything have any real experience with this company?

Oh, and I think if I could afford a TRL, I would have a hard time choosing it without riding one. I also really like Endless frames, but, again, I'd need to log some miles on one to be convinced that I could go on long rides with it. A long Evil Sovereign, however, I could see myself taking the plunge on.

I may be offbase on this, but it seems to me that the TRL is a very nicely crafted, overbuilt, but a little standard, trail bike, cut from the very same cloth as your typical mid-90's steel hardtail. Some other frames out there are offering some different schools of thought with more regard to "new school" riding.

Honeywell

Monkey
Sep 21, 2001
Bellingham
Originally posted by KonaJosh
Sorry to temporarily derail this thread, but what's the deal with them? It seems almost too good to be true. Yeah, I know, Taiwanese frames, small inventory, etc. etc., but does anything have any real experience with this company?
I saw they just signed up on the board a couple days ago. Hopefully they'll post some more information, as I too am seriously considering getting one to replace my FS.

Craw

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Chromag is a sweet name for a bike company.

It is a must for anyone that owns a Chromag bike to scream out:

"HARD TIMES, ARE COMING YOUR WAY!"

Everytime they sit on the bike.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Are you sure? Its 800$ cdn here and the frames are beefy. Damn nice equipment. The geometry is pretty close to the 2002 models of Kona roast etc...Slack but not so slack it seem ridiculous to ride.

The company is small and building a customer base. I am sure as they grow they will start getting the bikes out there.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Check out Peyto Cycles. They make a bike called the Wild Bill
I think he quoted me a custom price of ~$650 usd.
There prices are really good for custom work. They also make an 853 version of it. I have seen his work and was impressed. I have also done business dealing with him and he is a standup guy.

http://www.peytocycles.com/

I can also vouch for Curtlo. Very good price to quality ratio. Probably higher end but also more expensive than Peyto. Super nice guy too.

Peyto would probably be the better bet for a freeride bike. I'm not sure why more people don't look at custom. It really isn't any more money if you go to a smaller builder and teh quality is definilty there. Plus, you can spec whatever you want. Bottle openers, fancy dropouts, tubing spec, weight.

Good luck and have fun.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Originally posted by buildyourown
There prices are really good for custom work. They also make an 853 version of it. I have seen his work and was impressed. I have also done business dealing with him and he is a standup guy.

I can also vouch for Curtlo. Very good price to quality ratio. Probably higher end but also more expensive than Peyto. Super nice guy too.

Peyto would probably be the better bet for a freeride bike. I'm not sure why more people don't look at custom. It really isn't any more money if you go to a smaller builder and teh quality is definilty there. Plus, you can spec whatever you want. Bottle openers, fancy dropouts, tubing spec, weight.

Good luck and have fun.
Good Call on the Wild Bill from Peyto!

segerton

Chimp
Mar 21, 2004

Good luck and have fun.
Thanks for all the input. Are any of you riding a steel hardtail with a long travel fork for trail/fr??

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Thanks for all the input. Are any of you riding a steel hardtail with a long travel fork for trail/fr??
I have a steel hardtail with a Z1 Qr20. It is setup more for trail riding and less for big stuff but its a lot of fun. I wanted a bike that I could ride all day without getting a sore back. For me, that means that the tt is so long that I really can't jump the bike. That is why I contacted Peyto about building me a bike. I wanted the best of both worlds. I never got one because I couldn't find the money. Stupid house :mad:

segerton

Chimp
Mar 21, 2004
I have a steel hardtail with a Z1 Qr20. It is setup more for trail riding and less for big stuff but its a lot of fun. I wanted a bike that I could ride all day without getting a sore back. For me, that means that the tt is so long that I really can't jump the bike. That is why I contacted Peyto about building me a bike. I wanted the best of both worlds. I never got one because I couldn't find the money. Stupid house :mad:
Yup, sounds like we're looking for the exact same thing. I'm trying to imagine what the measurements would be on my perfect bike with my 6 inch fork. Best thing about the fork is the travel control. I slam i down to 4 inches for climbing and flick the switch to 6 for the way down. I currenty have a 18 inch 2002 Stinky Dee with a 6 inch romic in the back. I love it but it's a little too small cause I'm 6'1 and would rather be stretched out for the climbs. I want to simplify to a steel ht to lighten things up and get back to my roots.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Yup, sounds like we're looking for the exact same thing. I'm trying to imagine what the measurements would be on my perfect bike with my 6 inch fork. Best thing about the fork is the travel control. I slam i down to 4 inches for climbing and flick the switch to 6 for the way down. I currenty have a 18 inch 2002 Stinky Dee with a 6 inch romic in the back. I love it but it's a little too small cause I'm 6'1 and would rather be stretched out for the climbs. I want to simplify to a steel ht to lighten things up and get back to my roots.
Sounds like we are looking for the same thing...the holy grail of bikes. I would really suggest that you go custom. I told Peyto exactly what I wanted and he said he could build it for a reasonable price.
I wanted:
Medium length toptube. Not cramped, but jumpable.
5" fork
Short cs with room for big tires.
18" seattube.

The problem I have with most "aggressive" hardtails is that I'm too tall and they are made for short people. I'm 6'1" with long legs. If I raise the seatpost up high enough that I can pedal, I run out of seatpost. I don't need the crouch clearance of a 13" bike.

segerton

Chimp
Mar 21, 2004
Sounds like we are looking for the same thing...the holy grail of bikes. I would really suggest that you go custom. I told Peyto exactly what I wanted and he said he could build it for a reasonable price.
I wanted:
Medium length toptube. Not cramped, but jumpable.
5" fork
Short cs with room for big tires.
18" seattube.

The problem I have with most "aggressive" hardtails is that I'm too tall and they are made for short people. I'm 6'1" with long legs. If I raise the seatpost up high enough that I can pedal, I run out of seatpost. I don't need the crouch clearance of a 13" bike.
Thanks, I'll talk to him. I'm thinking a 18 ST, 23.5 TT and a 73 SA should do it.