Quantcast

Chromag Rimz

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
No 26 for the back of the big bike = Who Fucking Cares.

Looks interesting otherwise, good size and weight. If they are not made of cheese or glass, they could be a great option.

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
My wife has been rolling on a set of the complete Phase 30 wheels on her trail bike for a couple of months and I just built up a Phase 30 rim on the back of my own last weekend, nothing I can really tell you about longevity but hers are still rolling true.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
My wife has been rolling on a set of the complete Phase 30 wheels on her trail bike for a couple of months and I just built up a Phase 30 rim on the back of my own last weekend, nothing I can really tell you about longevity but hers are still rolling true.
Any updates?

I'm getting to the point my spoke tension is way out of whack, and truing is becoming much more frequent. I'm looking to line up my next set of rimz, something that will play well with 2.4 Maxxis WT tires, and come in at under 500g (for a 650b hoop). On my shortlist are:

Chromag Phase 30
DT Swiss XM481
Spank Race 33
WTB KOM Tough (in i29 size)

The Chromag are at the top of my list because of their cool logo. Haven't looked into price yet tho...

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
Main thing about the Chromag rims that is appealing to me is the additional thickness at the bead hook. I smoked a couple of Spank rims by folding the bead hook, rim was otherwise ok but wouldn't hold a tubeless seal anymore, so maybe the Chromag would fare better. I have to imagine that testing rims on steel hardtails in Whistler yields a pretty solid product...

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009
I have to imagine that testing rims on steel hardtails in Whistler yields a pretty solid product...
I know one of the guys testing / riding them is a chronic rim destroyer and they are standing up to his abuse on the hardtail.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Main thing about the Chromag rims that is appealing to me is the additional thickness at the bead hook. I smoked a couple of Spank rims by folding the bead hook, rim was otherwise ok but wouldn't hold a tubeless seal anymore, so maybe the Chromag would fare better. I have to imagine that testing rims on steel hardtails in Whistler yields a pretty solid product...
There's two things about the Chromag's that make them extremely compelling to me:
those thicker beads, mostly to avoid cutting tire sidewalls, and the fact that the rim sidewalls are angled, which according to Newmen makes them stronger in real-world applications...

That the weight is lower than the others is a bit of a bonus. Now I have to see what those suckers cost.

MrBaker87

Monkey
Mar 30, 2014
neverlandranch
I have blown up quite a few spank rims doing the same thing. The sidewalls were dented as fuck and wouldn’t hold a tubeless bead and even sometimes a tube in a dh casing, but they were still pretty round. I wouldn’t ever buy them again. I went through three in two and a half weeks in Whistler.