Quantcast

Cierra Smith's New V10

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Soccer game.............soccer dude............can you believe that.....soccer.:shocked:
Heh - lemme guess: she's either a Striker or a Wing and got slide-tackled by some kamikazi Fullback or Stopper on the other team.

... 'cause I used to be that kamikazi Fullback... :) would never purposely take someone down though - that's not right. :disgust1:

Hope she heals up well - she wears her armor w/ a backplate while DH'ing right?

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Thanks man....that means alot.

She's a great kid.......and it's awesome to ride with my daughter and see her do well.
Coming from a DH background and my wife a DH background I will assume our daughter will take up this sport in a decade or so (shes only 2.5 now)....in saying that, I know a few people that participate in their kids DHing and they say its 100% fun, but I can not help but think I will be sh!tting my pants riding with my kid knowing what 'danger lies ahead'....so, what's it like? do you get freaked out? totally pumped 24-7, etc...share-

Racerx7734

Monkey
Mar 4, 2002
Hostile Sausage
Coming from a DH background and my wife a DH background I will assume our daughter will take up this sport in a decade or so (shes only 2.5 now)....in saying that, I know a few people that participate in their kids DHing and they say its 100% fun, but I can not help but think I will be sh!tting my pants riding with my kid knowing what 'danger lies ahead'....so, what's it like? do you get freaked out? totally pumped 24-7, etc...share-

Your name wouldnt happen to be mike would it? you used to have a chrome Army I think?.....and raced at the Tahoe Hopper also?

I have been riding N* for about 9 years now and have met sooooooooo mant great people there.

Racerx7734

Monkey
Mar 4, 2002
Hostile Sausage
Your name wouldnt happen to be mike would it? you used to have a chorme army I think.....and raced at the Tahoe Hopper also?

I have been riding N* for about 9 years now and have met sooooooooo mant great people there.

Actually, to answer your question, I can say that I used to get freaked out and sometimes when she does a drop or something for the first time I still do, I cant help it......she's still my baby.

It's like teaching your kids to ski at an early age, you have be patient, patient, patient....and make it fun. They need to know that it's ok to crash and that it's easy to crash, but harder to get back on your bike and do it again.....Cierra has a strong will and always gets back on the bike.

I have really taken alot of time and sometimes grief from other riders because I will make Cierra stop and we will analyze a portion of the trail together and sometimes she will watch me do it a few times and then give it a shot. We practice technic (sp?) alot, cornering, gliding, form, I 'm really trying to train her to ride smart and smooth and that speed will come with time......and it has for her.

You have to get there trust and Cierra trusts me when I say "No" that's to much for you or even when it comes to dialing in her bike, she only wants me to build them and set them up.

I started her at 6 going to Northstar and we have gone from there to the Nationals and traveled all over.......we keep it fun and have bonded like you wouldnt believe.....it's everything a Dad could wish for really and watching her do well is just out of this world.

I have a 9 yr old son who rides also. I started him at N* at age 6 as well.....he doesnt like to race, just jump and ride...............and actually my 61 yr old Dad rides N* on his Nomad and Transition............I guess it's in our blood. Some of the best times of my life have been, riding at Northstar with Dad, myself, Cierra and JD............even if we didnt race......we would ride.........because in the end.........we just love riding our damn bikes.

Long I know.......but you asked.

Regards,
Wil

Lady Gravity

Chimp
Jul 1, 2004
Mtnbike Mecca
Some of the best times of my life have been, riding at Northstar with Dad, myself, Cierra and JD............even if we didnt race......we would ride.........because in the end.........we just love riding our damn bikes.
dude, that's seriously awesome, good for you. healing vibes to your daughter, hope she's back riding again soon.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Actually, to answer your question, I can say that I used to get freaked out and sometimes when she does a drop or something for the first time I still do, I cant help it......she's still my baby.

It's like teaching your kids to ski at an early age, you have be patient, patient, patient....and make it fun. They need to know that it's ok to crash and that it's easy to crash, but harder to get back on your bike and do it again.....Cierra has a strong will and always gets back on the bike.

I have really taken alot of time and sometimes grief from other riders because I will make Cierra stop and we will analyze a portion of the trail together and sometimes she will watch me do it a few times and then give it a shot. We practice technic (sp?) alot, cornering, gliding, form, I 'm really trying to train her to ride smart and smooth and that speed will come with time......and it has for her.

You have to get there trust and Cierra trusts me when I say "No" that's to much for you or even when it comes to dialing in her bike, she only wants me to build them and set them up.

I started her at 6 going to Northstar and we have gone from there to the Nationals and traveled all over.......we keep it fun and have bonded like you wouldnt believe.....it's everything a Dad could wish for really and watching her do well is just out of this world.

I have a 9 yr old son who rides also. I started him at N* at age 6 as well.....he doesnt like to race, just jump and ride...............and actually my 61 yr old Dad rides N* on his Nomad and Transition............I guess it's in our blood. Some of the best times of my life have been, riding at Northstar with Dad, myself, Cierra and JD............even if we didnt race......we would ride.........because in the end.........we just love riding our damn bikes.

Regards,
Wil
Name is Craig (Stikman), only been to N* once, last year, the mrs' and I were on Intenses, the daughter on a trike ;).

Not a long reply at all and thanks much for the words, too cool...getting kids on bikes has always been the secret to success for the industry and you have shown how awesome it can be.

You rule.

Sep 20, 2007
Champaign, IL

Regards,
Wil
Wow. :cheers: That is just awesome. If that won't motivate you, I don't know what will.

bfrich

Monkey
May 30, 2007
ct
hi

Great Bike love that color!

We met Cierra and her Grandpa at Mt Snow last year - good people.

My son Richie was/is on the same team, it is so awesome that Santa Cruz offers such great support to these junior riders, we are so thankful!

not to derail but its related sort of, I'm a proud father too!

Richie started racing DH at 9 - he is now thirteen and he is teaching me. here is a thread with some pics, richies in the red and white http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200939&page=6

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
She broke her ankle in 2 places the night before we were supposed to leave for Sea Otter, so as you can imagine she was pretty upset and we ended up not going because we had to take care of her.

..............but Kirt and Lindsey had her bike pretty much ready to go........so here it is.............soon as she is better.........................it's on.

Cierra is 3 time DH National champion and 12 almost 13yrs old, and my daughter...so yes......I'm very proud of her............she works hard and rides hard......

Cierra is riding this year on the Santa Cruz Allride Academy for Kirt Voreis..........and stoked....

Hope you all enjoy.

08 V10
Chromag stem, seatpost and seat
08 RS World cup
Codes
6.1's on 440's
all XO
Ti Spring
Etc, Etc.

Thanks Rob..............your the man as always.

What do ya think?

Sweet! Props to pop too.

Wishing your daughter quick healing and world domination. ;)

Racerx7734

Monkey
Mar 4, 2002
Hostile Sausage
hi

Great Bike love that color!

We met Cierra and her Grandpa at Mt Snow last year - good people.

My son Richie was/is on the same team, it is so awesome that Santa Cruz offers such great support to these junior riders, we are so thankful!

not to derail but its related sort of, I'm a proud father too!

Richie started racing DH at 9 - he is now thirteen and he is teaching me. here is a thread with some pics, richies in the red and white http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200939&page=6
Richie kills it..........I wish I could have been there but I was on a big project for work.

My Dad and Cierra said Richie was just an outstanding young rider and nice ........no attitude.

Congrats to you..........for taking the time...and to Richie for listening.

evolutionbike

Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
Baltimore
I must say that after reading through this post I have a big smile on my face. I think it is great that you two can have this type of relationship, that level of "trust" you speak about when riding transcends into every day life and her knowing that she has a father that she can trust is invaluable. She is in that photo with a broken limb dangling and still has a big smile. Big props to you dad, for being involved and really taking stock in your daughters life. I hope she gets better soon and you guys can get out on the trail and keep lovin life.

bfrich

Monkey
May 30, 2007
ct
She broke her ankle in 2 places the night before we were supposed to leave for Sea Otter, so as you can imagine she was pretty upset and we ended up not going because we had to take care of her.
Hey hope she heals up soon, if so - will you guys be traveling out for the Mt. Snow Race this year in July?

rich

Racerx7734

Monkey
Mar 4, 2002
Hostile Sausage
Hey hope she heals up soon, if so - will you guys be traveling out for the Mt. Snow Race this year in July?

rich
It depends are Cierra's ankle. right now things are healing well and it looks like in about 4 weeks she will get the pins removed. She will be in a walking boot for 4 weeks after that. Next step will be to review the growth plate and make sure that it is conneceted and healing straight.

If the growth plate doesn't do what it is supposed to then she will need another small surgery to connect it and be out another 4 weeks. so all in all with strength training and rehab were looking at the best scenario of end of july early August for some light riding.......but it really depends on how she heals up...............god knows she's chomping at the bit to get on her bike.

Worst case scenario we look at some late season races and then focus on the 09 season. I would rather have her healed up then pushing a sore ankle.

We may fly out to watch and support Richie but I'm really not sure yet.

bfrich

Monkey
May 30, 2007
ct
yeah, definately don't want to rush the healing process.

In May We will be Racing at U.S. Open that should be a great weekend with a stacked field both pro and am. Kirt will be there with the tour. If Cierra's recovery puts her out past the National in July
The U.S. Open will be a great event for us all to hang out at.

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200445

Racerx7734

Monkey
Mar 4, 2002
Hostile Sausage
yeah, definately don't want to rush the healing process.

In May We will be Racing at U.S. Open that should be a great weekend with a stacked field both pro and am. Kirt will be there with the tour. If Cierra's recovery puts her out past the National in July
The U.S. Open will be a great event for us all to hang out at.

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200445
Sounds great look forward to meeting you all.