Quantcast

CK really worth the price?

Gex

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2004
Seattle
I have a TI CK going on my new project. I also have 2 black kings and a pink king for sniggles. I like my ck headsets. I have not had a problem with one yet.

dirttastesgood

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2006
CT
i've had my chris king for 4 years now and i havn't had a single problem. i had a race face head set on my hardtail and thats no more.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
They installed a FSA DH Pig Pro. They charged me $95 for the HS and $25 for the install. They told me they dont like the CK headsets here in Whistler because they make a creaking noise after only a short time. Mine lasted a long time with only being regreased yearly. It didnt start making noise untill I installed the 66..... hmmmm Long travel forks and CK not a good combo?????

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Whistler dust clouds and any headset not a good combo. The king's don't have a great dust seal between the top cap and the topo cup, so dust probably gets in there. I took my crowns off and wiped stuff down every few days, no creaks. Same headset has probably seen about 60 days at whistler over 3-4 years on 3-4 frames interspersed with the most mud imaginable. Thanks Canada.

They don't sell CK in whistler because they would have to charge $300 for one as everything is absurdly overpriced. Case in point, a $45 headset you paid $95 + installation for.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
The lack of the "wedge" does make them a poor choice for DH bikes.
For trail and xc bikes, they are the lightest, longest lasting, headset you can buy. I have had zero issues with them on bikes with less than 6" of front travel. That includes installing them on countless customers bikes that saw god knows how many nasty Seattle commuter miles.
The wedge on the FSA headsets is what makes them suck.

My FSA headset is difficult to piece together and actually get it tight and stay tight. I never had a problem with the Chris King headsets on my previous bikes for the past 8 years... still don't have any problems with those headsets. My FSA orbit extreme is just over a month old and has already had more problems with keeping it tight, without having to overtighten it. As soon as CK comes out with their 1.5 headset I'll be going with that and ditching the FSA junk.

CK headset = worth it

.Pit Steelers.

Nostradumbass
Jun 18, 2006
Hawaii
Yeah i know i got one a while ago went up to Mammoth for two weeks. Worked good, so much eaiser to put on then the pig becasue the compression ring is like...on the top cap.