Quantcast

Class I hitch Rig Suggestions

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
Ok so my friend gave me this yakima hitch rack for the back of my car. I bought a class 1 hitch and he told me that I had to beat this little tab out at the end to make it fit. I've gone through 2 chisels and 1 large screwdriver and I am all out of idea. No doubt people have done this before, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. This is one for all you tool guys.

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
Ok so I broke out the camera, and if you look into the hitch you can see what I am talking about. So guys, without further adieu. Anyone have any ideas how I would get that little tab out of the way?

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Looks to me like it is there to prevent ramming the attachment/insert in to the structural cross member of the hitch. Are you sure that the receiver is deep enough to take the insert? It looks like you will only gain 1/4 inch in depth if you remove the tab.

I would think it would be easier to notch the rack insert to let it pass the tab if there is indeed enough depth to the receiver...

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
The tab is what is stopping it from being able to fit, I am fiting for another 1/4 which I will be able to get if I can get that tab out. I want to remove it but at the same time I dont want to damage the structural integrity of the hitch, nor do I want to cut the length of the yakima rack as I feel that it would in some way weaken the rack.

mfreak

Chimp
Feb 12, 2009
drill and drill bit had to do it to mine when i had one on my srt4. just drill it out then take a file and smooth the crap thats left and you should have no problems.