Quantcast

Cleaning inside of Goggle lenses

Viv92

Monkey
Jan 31, 2009
Australia
Is there any way to do it without screwing the lenses?

My Magnetos somehow got crap in them from the wet weather when I didn't even ride with them.:poster_oops:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
As boogenman said make sure no water is used on the inside of the lense otherwise you'll wipe away the antifog coating
uh what? ive been cleaning my Spy's both on the inside and out w/ light soapy water for years and havent had issues with fogging.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I always have issues with fogging. But i sweat like a mofo. I was wondering if that was part of the problem.
i usually clean my lenses with a glasses cleaning cloth that i get from Standard Optical for free. That's where i got my glasses and contacts, so they just give them to me for free. i have tons of them around the house and in my gear bags. You can wash them and re-use them over and over. They're usually free.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
If you are using a coated anti-fog goggle lens, you need to be much more careful with them. The coating can and will absorb contaminants and when it has been exposed to moisture/high humidity, the coating (a moisture absorbing gell) will get very soft. You CAN wash them gently with a soapy water solution, but DO NOT TOUCH the inner surface until it is 110% dry. When dry, buff with a soft (microfiber) cloth.

If you have cheap non-coated moto lenses..you can gently wash them and wipe off with a soft cloth....or just replace them with another lens for $5.

juanbeegas

Monkey
May 6, 2008
Singapore
Has anyone ever chucked their goggles into the washer? From all the perspiration, the foam on my goggles are starting to smell a bit. Been wanting to remove the lens, chuck into a small laundry bag and dump it in the wash with my other bike gear, but am afraid I might screw up the glue holding the face foam in.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
I just throw them into a bowl or buckets with some laundry detergent (like I do with the rest of my gear). Keeps the goggles smelling fresh. Haven't had a problem with the foam yet

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I have always used a Microfiber eyeglass towel, and some lens cleaner with antifog in it. I just ordered my new goggles though which are not cheap, So I guess I might have to be taking better care of them.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I'm always afraid of getting nice goggles. Seems like i end up on my head when i wear the nice stuff.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I've heard some goggle makers are now incorporating some anti-fog agent into the resin when the lenses are made/molded, so it would be impossible to scratch/wipe off. I'm pretty sure they were snowboard goggles, but I don't see why it couldn't be used for mtb/moto.

Anyone know anything else about this?

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Can you buy some kind of "no fog" stuff to put in your goggles? I need to try something like that if it's available. I fog up pretty quick. Especially now that i'm riding with a moto helmet with practically no vents.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Hmmm, more ventilated helmets? My goggles get foggy when I stand and talk on the trail, or at interesections on the trail. Get more ventilated goggles. Also, start riding faster and longer... I had fox main goggles, they fogged up a lot, especially if you re-hike a section. I also had nerve optic goggles, worked pretty wheel, but they don't fit all helemts, don't have the bling factor. I scratched the lenses so I got a new set, oakley crow bar mx goggles, I will let you know how they are.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
start riding faster and longer? Usually i'm not riding DH by myself and we stop in certain places to wait for people to make sure everybody is ok. It's when we stop that they fog up. Not when i'm riding. I'm not THAT slow.

Distil

Chimp
Jan 24, 2008
Bromont, Qc
I've been washing my oakley lenses (blue, clear and tinted) with windex and water in the sink for 2 years and I never get fog in my googles... Maybe the windex helps with the fog?

ciszewski

Monkey
Aug 7, 2008
Brockville
I've heard some goggle makers are now incorporating some anti-fog agent into the resin when the lenses are made/molded, so it would be impossible to scratch/wipe off. I'm pretty sure they were snowboard goggles, but I don't see why it couldn't be used for mtb/moto.

Anyone know anything else about this?
I do believe Oakley has something like this...I could be wrong though.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Can you buy some kind of "no fog" stuff to put in your goggles? I need to try something like that if it's available. I fog up pretty quick. Especially now that i'm riding with a moto helmet with practically no vents.
Oakley, Scott, SteelMX,Spy, Utpoia..... most everyone that makes goggles has something available.

http://www.steelmx.com/moto/antifog.html

http://www.shopatron.com/product/part_number=206721/485.0

http://www.unitedcycle.com/vpd/Oakley/Oakley-Anti-Fog-Spray/2035481/products.do

Last edited:

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Anti fog additives are available from many mfg and will work on any lens w/o a factory coating (typical on snow goggles). Trying to add an aftermarket product to a coated lens will end in a mess.

Factory anti fog coatings will absorb skin oils and contaminants over time and be less and less effective. Like I menitoned above, you can ways these types of lenses and 'renew' the coating's effectiveness.

The big issue with the coatings and the actual lens material used for best optical clarity (think smith or oakley 3D curved lenses) is they are soft and very prone to scratching. Moto type lenses are in general a lower optical quality material, but they are able to hold up to the dust/dirt/grit that a snow goggle is not able to.

So, if you are a 'sweater' there a few options. Cheap moto lenses with a user applied fog product (pretty good fog protection) with the benefit of less $$ and easy cheap change outs for differing light or scratches

or

A factory fog coated lens (generally the best fog prevention) at the cost of $$$ and easy lens destruction.

Either way, at least in the dry, more ventilation either throught the frame or through the lens itself will help flush out hot damp air and help prevent fogging. I usually remove some frame foam at the bottom and use a vented lens.

BTW, if you are standing around....remove your goggles every time unless you will get more moisture in them by removing them....

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
BTW, if you are standing around....remove your goggles every time unless you will get more moisture in them by removing them....
I am guessing you meant by not removing them when you stop.

Anyways, le tme plug a bit, Havent seen many people talking about these guys so let me dro a line.

http://www.steelmx.com/

I likes, Mine are on the way, I will drop a reveiw as soon as I have a little time with them on

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Yeah. I'm a sweaty MF. Each time we stop, i'll pull my goggles down. But sometimes they still fog. I have two pair that are pretty cheap. Maybe i'll experiment with taking a teeny bit of foam out of them.
I know i have a pair of goggles that have vented lenses, but i can't remember which ones they are. Even when i'd go snowboarding i'd fog. MOstly just from hiking though.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I am guessing you meant by not removing them when you stop.

Anyways, le tme plug a bit, Havent seen many people talking about these guys so let me dro a line.

http://www.steelmx.com/

I likes, Mine are on the way, I will drop a reveiw as soon as I have a little time with them on
What I mean, is that if it is raining or snowing, you run the risk of getting MORE moisture in the goggle by taking them off than keeping them on and sealed to the face. Look around at any ski hill...the kids with the constantly fogged goggles are the same kids that constantly take their goggles off and getting snow in them either from their hats (goggles on forehead)or from the sky (holding goggles with the inside facing up like a cup)....