Quantcast

Clemson Kudos

BigClyde

Chimp
Jul 31, 2003
Greenville, SC
I just wanted to post my congratulations to the trail workers involved with Clemson Freeride. My friend and I drove down from Greenville on Sunday afternoon and really enjoyed the run. Thanks for the directions.

I would like to add a type of review to the trail. So far your posts have been very open to other's opinions so I am going to give mine. I am not a great rider so these opinions are not intended to sound more expert than I am. I have ridden a lot of resorts (Whistler, Diablo, Snowshoe, Wintergreen), and a lot of trails, NC, SC, GA, FL, TN, and Utah. So take my opinions with a grain of salt and with the my intentions, that is, to help the trail.

First the positives.

I think the flow of the trail is great. The jumps were placed in good spots, except for the 3rd and 4th. The 3rd would be better closer to the big berm before it, and the 4th is right after an uphill. Of course, I don't pedal well so it is probably just my fat ass on a heavy bike that makes the 4th jump rough!

The step down (I didn't do it yet) on the dual slalom side looks like a killer hit! What about the jump after that, is it a step up?

The use of berms was wonderful. These berms could be ridden real tight. I really enjoyed the series of berms about halfway down. Whowever built these needs to be in charge of all berms!

The trail gap will be fun. Fun little home made rock gardens!

The potential wall ride looks like a blast. Will it end up going back uphill?

Now some criticism.

In general, the lips of the jumps need some work, at least for my preference. They all seemed very rounded rather than peeked. The best lip is on the first gap jump of the trail. Also, in my opinion, the jumps need to be defined. Either build it a table or build a gap, but the "camel hump" idea is odd. Are these built so everyone can go over them, either jump or roll? If so, then build two take offs...a true jump and then a small roller.

The second jump of the course (the long pile of logs that goes slightly down hill) to me is a little unsafe. It actually moves to the left in the middle. Maybe this is just me, but this is the closest thing you have to a true big table. If some time were spent on it to make it a evenly wide and a bigger lander this thing would be a great launch. I would skip the previous gap jump and hit this big log thing full speed.

The big drop. I have dropped at maximum 10-12', so I don't think I'm afraid to hit your drop. However, I have two questions. First, why does the ladder bridge ascend? Second, if anyone has hit it, is the tranny steep enough? I think the hill below the pile of dirt at the bottom of the roller needs to be cut out some to steepen the tranny.

GREAT WORK AND KUDOS. NOW, LEST I BE ACCOSTED WITH THE TYPICAL "DON'T CRITICIZE WHAT YOU DON'T HELP BUILD," I WANT TO MENTION THAT I WOULD LOVE TO HELP BUILD IN THE COMING MONTHS. THE LAST WORKDAY MY ENTIRE FAMILY GOT THE FLU.

Again, thanks for your work and take my comments in the spirit that they were meant.

aviatorsman

Chimp
Oct 28, 2006
Awsome, I'm glad you got to ride the trail. We've put a good but of work into it recently. I totally agree with most of what you've said.

Most of the dirt launches need the lips worked on. We haven't spent too much time maintaining the course recently because we're trying to get the thing all the way down the hill. We've roughly finished the entire course and plan on spending a good bit of time going back and fixing up all the different jumps and such.

I personally haven't hit the big drop b/c I don't have a ridable bike at the moment, but others have. Most have landed on the transition of clay/dirt before the natural hill on hardtails without a problem. The natural part may be a little more rough.

Thanks for the review, I cannot wait to get the thing all done. Hopefully our race will work out and we can share the course with everyone.

-Brandon

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Ive hit the drop on my hardtail over 5 times and the landing is like butter, not rough at all.

And as far as the jumps being "defined," almost every jump out there started as a double. But after talking with several people and seeing the caliber of some racers at local races, it was determined that every jump/stunt needs to be rollable. And the reason the jumps dont have lips is because this is supposed to be race course. After its completed and the club gets more funding then we will build Freeride trails and Dirt jumps. I dont mind the criticism at all, hopefully some of you can come out on workdays and voice your opinions while we are working.

wiL

Monkey
Nov 28, 2006
Greenville, SC
yeah the drop is nice and smooth...really don't feel the impact at all unless you overshoot it..even then the terrain is at such an angle that it wouldn't be bad by any means.

i'd say they've done a good job with what they have to use and they should get good props because thats a lot of damn dirt to move to build all of the berms and jumps.

as far as the jump lips id say they were fine because they are built to clear distance, instead of shear height. filling in the gaps was probably a good idea if you all are looking to host a race on that course.

the only question i would have is towards the next 50 yards after the wall ride seemed to wind around a good bit. the trail wasn't fully finished when i was there, but the proposed trail seemed to wind around in a series of switchbacks and some seemed to go uphill. i can't really criticize because that section wasnt near finished but i didnt understand that area in there.

im sure it would add quite a bit of technicality to the run, but im not sure i would place it if anywhere, immediately after a wall ride that precedes with a good decline after a good jump. seems like quite a lot of speed is built up before the wall ride and then all killed after the wall ride. that would really add a technical aspect, but kill the acceleration of the wall ride through the curve. i saw that you guys had started putting a few logs down to begin banking a few of the curves in those switch backs..it would take quite a bank to maintain the speed which was achieved in the wall ride..but then again i very well may be wrong and those switch backs were placed there to reduce the speed and add a bit of technicality to the run-which would be cool...it would really provide some variations in the run times. that area would be the make-or-break section of the run.
-it is pretty hard to say that it didnt flow..because it wasn't complete..but im sure a few runs and editing and you all will have it flowing nicely...i just didnt know the intentions of the section.

other than that question i would have to say they have done a great job w/ what they have to work with. the rock garden was pretty cool...not too long, but it took some work moving all of those rocks.

i really like the big drop towards the end.. and the drop thats similar to that up at the top...that one really helps to get the run going. solid job and im really looking forward to the race that you all are planning to host.

it was a lot of fun riding and working with you guys the other weekend thanks for letting me come out.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Ive hit the drop on my hardtail over 5 times and the landing is like butter, not rough at all.

And as far as the jumps being "defined," almost every jump out there started as a double. But after talking with several people and seeing the caliber of some racers at local races, it was determined that every jump/stunt needs to be rollable. And the reason the jumps dont have lips is because this is supposed to be race course. After its completed and the club gets more funding then we will build Freeride trails and Dirt jumps. I dont mind the criticism at all, hopefully some of you can come out on workdays and voice your opinions while we are working.
I have to agree with Matt. When building jumps on a race course they need to be for speed. If you try to jump a jump that is more like a Dirt Jump with a lip, it will buck you forward. This is not a good thing. The jumps need to be long and more angled flatter to the top. This will let racers keep their speed and stay low over the jump.

wiL

Monkey
Nov 28, 2006
Greenville, SC
There are two drops? I know the ladder bridge drop, but where was the other one near the bottom?
no just one big drop at the bottom..but theres another thats similar in design at the top that i really liked too...but not nearly as large..but still fun and helps start the run before the switchbacks and now tabled jumps.

Wil, we changed up the section past the wallride. Its still very tight and technical but we took out that big left handed turn that went slightly uphill.
yeah i think that hard left uphill is what i didnt like..but i think keeping it tight and technical is a good change up/addition to the run. that will add some real diversity to the run times.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
Glad to see everyone is enjoying our work, im hoping we can recover from recent events and host an event out here.

I personally think the drop landing area can use some more work, at the very least we need more dirt or we need to dig out the trail. I guess i also need to hit it on my hardtail to get a nice feel of how smooth it actually is or is not.

RastaRider

Chimp
Mar 27, 2006
Charlotte, NC
I tried posting on your Clemson Freeride forum but nothing happened. I'm The Colonel.

I want to come ride down there soon. Shoot me an email and let me know when some of yall will be out there riding or working.

Later,
Sandes
sanders9000 at hotmail....

edit: I guess it would have helped to read the email sent when I registered. I'll patiently await the second one this time.