Quantcast

Clipless or not

starrbabes

Chimp
Jun 9, 2006
Puyallup, WA
I know a lot of men wear clipless for XC and even some for DH. I was wondering what your thoughts on clipless were, I am thinking of getting a pair, I hear they are better at working out the legs.:help:

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
starrbabes said:
I know a lot of men wear clipless for XC and even some for DH. I was wondering what your thoughts on clipless were, I am thinking of getting a pair, I hear they are better at working out the legs.:help:
Well, for XC they certainly help. It's not that they are helping work out your legs, it's more that they help transfer more of the power created in your legs through your pedal stroke. I wear clipless for XC, but flats for DH. Why? I don't know. Probably my riding style, I was more of a plow through stuff rider than a finesse rider when it came to DH. I feel like I can feel the pedals and the DH bike better in flats and that I have a better response time with body movement and positioning, but I have heard the same exact arguement from people that wear clipless for DH.

Clipless for XC is always going to be a better choice because it's more efficient, but I find that for DH it's really a matter of preference.

I agree with DH Diva:
I wear clipless in XC but I wear mine very loose so I can clip out if needed as quickly as possible. And I love the power I get because the pedaling pulls my leg up since its clipped in...you dont get that with flats.
On the DH runs I use flats because I love having that confort of being able to put my foot down whenever I need to. I just have a good pair of shoes that have great bottoms that mesh with the flat pedals.
I see some downhillers where clipins and I would be scared to death.
But like DH diva said...Its all a matter of preference.

zoey

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
california
I've only ridden with flats, but this summer I'm going to practice XC with my clipless. I've done a few XC races, and I think I would ride faster clipped in, especially on the pavement part.

That said, it's good to learn skills on flats. Psychologically I think it gives you more of a comfort zone. I like the kona pedals with my vans.

altagirl

Monkey
Aug 27, 2002
Utah
Definitely learn to use clipless on XC riding first. Actually, I can't even fathom riding XC without clipless pedals, but usually use flats on more difficult DH courses. I have no issues getting unclipped, it's getting clipped back in at race speed that doesn't work so well and then my feet aren't as stable on the pedals. I'm working on getting used to clipless for more DH.

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
i'd never ride clipless dh or jumping or for freeride, iif i have to bail, or if i fall i don't want the extra force landing on me..i'd rather kick the bike out..

mohshee

Monkey
Jan 31, 2006
MD by way of Austin, TX
I ride clipless for DH and XC. I think because I was an XC racer first, that part just transferred with me. I feel, oddly, more confident doing drops and jumps clipped in, though I am still learning jumping techniques and I definitely don't think being clipped in is ideal for dirt jumping as a whole.

Being clipped in also helps me to keep my pedals in rocky rock gardens and such. I have never had a problem getting unclipped during a fall. I think the hardest part for me was the very first time I tried clipless pedals, I couldn't get the timing down for clipping out at a stoplight and provided onlookers with an embarassing foray in clumsiness.

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
habitatxskate said:
i'd never ride clipless dh or jumping or for freeride, iif i have to bail, or if i fall i don't want the extra force landing on me..i'd rather kick the bike out..
Depending on the course, I race DH clipped in. If it's loose (like Mammoth) or really rocky and muddy (like Diablo), then I'm on flats. For mountain cross, I'm on flats. But I'm always clipped in for XC and Super D.

I've had to bail off the bike a number of times, and before I know what's happening, I'm tumbling across the dirt... and never remember clipping out. I never had a problem with the bike getting "stuck" to my feet and coming after me.

When you ride with clips, your clip-out motion becomes instinctive. It took me a few months. I've only had trouble in staging areas and parking lots. Beware of those places. You can get hurt there.

RE: LOOSE CLIPS
You can adjust the spring tension on Shimano pedals, and perhaps a few other SPD-compatible pedals.
Alternatively, wear in your cleats well so that they are not so stiff.

TIPS FOR RIDING IN CLIPS
1. Always clip out before you come to a stop.
2. Always clip out on both sides till you are completely comfortable.
3. Practice trackstanding (without the clips) - it will improve your balance and confidence.

Good luck! :)

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I ride clipless for XC & road and for DH I wear flats (I am like DH Diva and I plow through sections of a DH run and couldn't imagine being clipped in). My husband rides clipless for everything (XC, freeride & DH). I have tried the Shimano clipless pedals and I didn't like them. I ride in a lot of mud and I found that they didn't shed mud nearly as well as my husband's Time pedals, so I switched over to Time clipless platforms for agressive XC & freeride and I have regular Time atacs for my road bike and less aggressive XC riding. I would definitely suggest trying it! I found that riding clipless made me feel stronger and I can clip just about as fast as I could be able to get my foot off of a platform pedal.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
sunny said:
RE: LOOSE CLIPS
You can adjust the spring tension on Shimano pedals, and perhaps a few other SPD-compatible pedals.
Alternatively, wear in your cleats well so that they are not so stiff.

TIPS FOR RIDING IN CLIPS
1. Always clip out before you come to a stop.
2. Always clip out on both sides till you are completely comfortable.
3. Practice trackstanding (without the clips) - it will improve your balance and confidence.

Good luck! :)
Excellent suggestions!!! I also took the cleats out of my husbands shoes and gave him my new cleats. I found it was easier for me to learn on his "broken in" cleats.

stephanie

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
East County via East Coast
mohshee said:
I think the hardest part for me was the very first time I tried clipless pedals, I couldn't get the timing down for clipping out at a stoplight and provided onlookers with an embarassing foray in clumsiness.
LOL! This same thing happened to me. I was on my XC bike but went for a quick road ride. Cape Cod. Middle of tourist season. I laid the bike down because I forgot to unclip when I came to a light.

All that said, I've ridden flats twice on my DH bike. I hated it because my feet came off the pedals a few times, and I didn't like that feeling at all. For riding in the PNW, though, I can see why many of the Hunnies do ride the flats. If you have to bail off the side of a ladder stunt or something, clips would be sketchy.

I am a firm believer in clipless for DH. It allows me to pull up on the bike easier such as trying to bunny hop. I like the feeling of being locked in, but I am notorious for setting my pedals loosely. I have found the thin line between popping out of loose clips and being stuck in tight clips.

BUT...if you look around, there are just as many people who ride/race flats and many who are sick fast/good (ex: Sam Hill). It's all personal preference in the end.

stephanie

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
East County via East Coast
TreeSaw said:
I ride in a lot of mud and I found that they didn't shed mud nearly as well as my husband's Time pedals, so I switched over to Time clipless platforms for agressive XC & freeride and I have regular Time atacs for my road bike and less aggressive XC riding.
Shimano 959s are great mud shedders for XC. They are on the pricey side though.

Another reason I opt against flats...scraping my shins. Ouch!

mohshee

Monkey
Jan 31, 2006
MD by way of Austin, TX
ooh yeah! Totally forgot about the shins. I always use flats on urban rides, and a few times, upon slipping a pedal, it has felt like someone hammered a nail into my shins, even with shin pads on.

I just have the shimano spd clips, but I don't like them much for DH racing -- they are horrible mud shedders. I am thinking about going to Time Attaks. My hubby rides those, but recommends the Z Controls for DH specifically.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
First off, this is a super thread. Lots of good info for anyone looking into going clipless, and for all the new beginner riders on the board!

It's so interesting hearing the reasons why people ride the pedals they do. I feel like when the DH bike is clipped in, I have marbels between my feet and the pedals. I also feel that with flats, you can manipulate the bike easier in certain ways because your feet have more contact with the pedal, and you can use your weight and your legs differently. And I have never had problems with my feet coming off the pedals.

This could all very well be that I just learned to ride flats really well because I rode XC in middle-highschool on flats before starting to race DH after I graduated (my parents wouldn't let me get clipless because they thought they were dangerous :rolleyes: ). The younger you learn something, sometimes the better you get at it.

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
Agree with DH Diva.

I won't go back to clipless now that I ride flats. You do have to take some time to get used to them and learn to do stuff more with your body to keep your feet on the pedals and not bouncing off. Climbing steep hills I adapted a different, more crunched up body style on the bike and now get up the same steep stuff as before on my clipless. For the technical, tight and frequently wet trails we have in the PNW they're priceless. I frequently hear people around me fighting to get clipped in and out, not to mention I can easily get going again on a steep hill, with clips you can't so easily. I also do logs and log piles alot and if you're clipped in, you can get stuck falling with your bike. I used to get slapped with the pedals, although with good armor I didn't, but now I don't even slap the pedals around much. Just gotta be willing to practice alot with the flats. But I guess it depends on what type of trails you're gonna be on what you choose to use.

zoey

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
california
I raced a mtb tri today and was clipped in for the first time. The course was half pavement, and half dirt, with a huge climb on pavement. I thought being clipped in would give me an advantage. But truthfully I don't think I climbed any better or rode any faster being clipped to my bike.

There was also a few stream crossings with rocks and I didn't manage them well clipped in. I felt like if I had my platform pedals on I could have powered across the rocks a lot easier. Plus I had to unclip a few times, and wasted time trying to get clipped back in.

I'm going to stay with the clipless for another cross country race that I'm doing on Sunday. I did this same race a few months ago on flats. It'll be interesting to see if I feel there is a difference.

SuperKat

Monkey
Jul 3, 2005
New York
I'm all about flats. I have had the urge every now and again to try clipless, but I've never went for it.
My hat's off to all who ride 'em, especially for DH.

GrapeApe79

Monkey
Sep 22, 2005
Issaquah, WA
I'm all about the clipless pedals for DH and XC riding. I have tried riding flats for DH and jumps/drops and it doesn't work for me (personal preference). I'm too used to riding clipless. I can go over a drop or jump much smoother with clipless pedals.

I've never had a problem clipping out in a crash--today I attempted a little gap type jump and didn't quite make it. I came out of the pedals and had a nice, clean crash.

Some argue that you learn better technique with flats, and I somewhat agree, but why not take advantage of being clipped in to help you maneuver your bike better?

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
zoey said:
I raced a mtb tri today and was clipped in for the first time. The course was half pavement, and half dirt, with a huge climb on pavement. I thought being clipped in would give me an advantage. But truthfully I don't think I climbed any better or rode any faster being clipped to my bike.

There was also a few stream crossings with rocks and I didn't manage them well clipped in. I felt like if I had my platform pedals on I could have powered across the rocks a lot easier. Plus I had to unclip a few times, and wasted time trying to get clipped back in.

I'm going to stay with the clipless for another cross country race that I'm doing on Sunday. I did this same race a few months ago on flats. It'll be interesting to see if I feel there is a difference.

Riding with clipless unfortunately doesn't usually happen overnight. Alot of clipless technique (like flats) are learned over time. You can climb better (usually) because on the foot that is usually resting on the up stroke can now pull up on the pedals.

Clipless probably isn't for everyone but it takes time to get it down right. I have the same confidence with clipless as I do with flat pedals.

edit: for the person who said 959's are expensive, just get m540's. They're essentially the same pedal, same weight and alot cheaper