Quantcast

Clipless or Platform Pedals

TranceX2Jake

Chimp
Jun 4, 2011
Hello Everyone!

My name is Jake and I have been downhill mountain biking a few times, so I am still somewhat of a noobee to the sport. I started off biking with clip-in Shimano spd xc pedals because I thought I was going to do more cross country biking and I always wanted to try clip-in. Turns out, in my opinion doing cross country is not nearly as extreme and mind blowingly fun as downhill(not that I have anything against cross country biking; I still do rides with my friends and we have a blast), and I am addicted to clip-in now that I totally feel one with the bike! I am beginning to notice that tons of downhill riders use platform pedals over clipless. I understand that when times get ugly its good that you can bail. I actually recently switched back to platform, but ended up hurting myself more than I did with clip-in haha. I guess thats pretty normal since I haven't rode with platforms in years. Anyways, I wondering is it better to train myself to ride platform better, or stick with something that I feel more comfortable and confident riding like clip-in? As for clip-in I was thinking about getting myself a pair of the Shimano DX spd pedals, but I wanted some advice on this before I do so.

Thanks!

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I have never once ridden my flats (which I do 100% of the time and even for XC) for the ability to bail. For me its about being able to put English into the pedals. I would say most skilled flats riders do it for the same reason.

Jun 20, 2007
There are pro's and con's to each, so to me it is all personal preference. Whatever you are most comfortable with and ride better with is the way to go. That means flats for me.

Last edited:

Idahoo

Chimp
Apr 21, 2009
I ride with clips with shimano DX pedals and shoes. I think it's a good combo, but I always keep the flats in the tool box and the shoes handy in case I want to swap during practice days. All personal preference. I swapped to clips due to being upset with how much my feet were blown off the pedals on flats. Honestly, I think it was due to not having my rear suspension setup properly though. Today though, had a drop that blew both my feet out of my clips and it was a SOB to get them clipped back in quickly to continue down the run, one disadvantage of the clips for sure.

Manifesto

Monkey
Aug 16, 2009
your moms basement
clipless is ****ing badass, you get full control of the rear end of the bike. this isn't ****ing bmx guys, man the **** up. plus, with clipless you get to manhandle the bike, and not the bike manhandle you.

but, you did say you're just starting, so ****ing rep the flats bra!

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
clipless is ****ing badass, you get full control of the rear end of the bike. this isn't ****ing bmx guys, man the **** up. plus, with clipless you get to manhandle the bike, and not the bike manhandle you.

but, you did say you're just starting, so ****ing rep the flats bra!
Umm.. no.

If you cant control the bike with flats, you're doing it wrong.

To each his own, but call it out like that, prepare to get owned.

Oldm8

Chimp
Mar 12, 2011
Townsville, Australia
I use clips as that's what I use in XC, and most of the guys think your crazy when they see your on clips but we have rocky tracks here and yeah my feet do come out every now and again and it can be hard to get them back in but knowing my feet are rarely going to come off the pedals in the rough sections is one less thing I need to worry about :)

Nerf Herder

Chimp
Mar 26, 2010
I'm on flats for DH & DJ and clipped for everything else ... the main reason is to get my feet back on easier. I don't have any problems with keeping my feet on through the rough and if anything I prefer to have less sticky rubber on my feet these days as there is nothing worse then placing your feet in the wrong spot whilst wearing 5.10s and then not being able to slide them back into position.

Anything to do with pedalling or more particularly techy climbing, I prefer being clipped so I can lift the rear and survive a little longer when fatigued.

as some comments above +1 respect for those that can rip whilst clipped and keep two feet up.

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
funny i tried flats for dh for the first time in 7 years and it was cool but i ended up swapping back to clips.
i like the feel of being one with the bike on the clips, it can cost a collarbone or two though.
it is a great benefit on clips to not need to wear shin pads, on the runs i took with flats i could have used shin pads that wrap my whole leg.

the dx set up has been great except for me except for wrecking right side pedals.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I was in the same spot 1 season ago with the only differance I had 3 months of flat riding on my dj bike. Went for flats and it feels great but it tires your legs.more than flats. The main advantage is I feel I can go more agressive in the off cambers and jumps but I think it is a bit easier to carry speed over the rough in clips.

If you go for flats get 5.10 shoes and some good pedals. Moms wah wahs are a good start.

i've been on clipless pedals ever since i started mountain biking. i've tried flats but never stuck with it long enough to get use to them. i feel that i have more control being clipped in. i can muscle the rear end of the bike around alittle easier, but i guess folks that are skilled at flats can do the same. i think on pedally courses, being clipped in, and if you can apply force thru-out your pedal stroke, it does add an advantage.

that being said, i only use clipless pedals with the platform around the engagement mechanism (aka Mallets). and having used them for awhile, i rarely have an issue clipping out when i need to (or crash) and putting my foot back on.

TranceX2Jake

Chimp
Jun 4, 2011
I can see there are a lot of pros and cons on both sides. I truly think that clip-ins are awesome, but I don't want to feel like I am cheating or skipping ahead of all that I need to learn on platforms. Things like hopping over objects, and landing jumps with both feet on my peddles(thats been a minor problem for me since I switched back to platform haha). Those things are made way easier with clip-ins, but I am still hesitant about using them in rough terrain. I like the bailing idea, because I am prone to having accidents. So ya, I think I am going to try getting use to the platforms for now. I am using a old pair of slip-on Vans, which are not the entirely best idea for riding I know, but I am seriously considering investing in a pair of Five Tens. Why is it that the Five Tens are better than normal riding shoes? Is it the rubber, or the tread design? Will the shoes allow me to stick to the pedals better? I heard that the Sam Hills are the best for DH, is that true?

Oh, by the way I usually ride in the Santa Cruz mountains, but once I get some more practice I am thinking about taking a few trips up to Northstar or Mammoth by the end of the summer. What type of peddles do you guys recommend for riding in those areas? I heard its pretty rough up at Northstar, but I might be wrong.

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
The original 5.10 stealth rubber soles were made with the addition of tears from anyone who raced against Kovarik at Ft William in 2002. Ive heard that when the supply of tears ran out they used a single Sam Hill eyebrow hair in each sole. Either way they are infused with awesome.

yopaulie

Monkey
Jun 4, 2009
NH
You ride and like clips, crashed more on flats, seems obvious to me that you should stick to clips, and this is coming from a dedicated flats rider fyi.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
You ride and like clips, crashed more on flats, seems obvious to me that you should stick to clips, and this is coming from a dedicated flats rider fyi.
The change will mean crashes at first. Unless he masters flats he won't be able to tell if they feel better for him

alpine slug

Monkey
Jun 10, 2011
Best way to know is to try both, trying each one for long enough to get comfortable with it, and finding out which one you prefer. Each has (+) and (-). I find clipless (+) outweighs all clipless (-), but that's because I see no (-) to clipless and that no-negatives stance is probably because I've ridden clipless for 90% of the 25+ years I've been riding bikes.

If you're used to clipless, you really can't compare the two until you've ridden platforms long enough to know how to keep yourself connected to the bike. Flat pedals will seem frustrating to a newbie because of the mechanical disconnection, because the newbie will find it hard to create a solid connection between his feet and the bike. You have to learn the ways of keeping your feet in contact and in control.

I'll always find clipless better because I do a lot of pedaling and they're way more efficient for pedaling. For basic bike handling while descending, clipless are not necessarily more efficient, though they will prevent your feet from bouncing off the pedals in superchunder.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
I have never once ridden my flats (which I do 100% of the time and even for XC) for the ability to bail. For me its about being able to put English into the pedals. I would say most skilled flats riders do it for the same reason.
werd...

I cannot corner to save my life with clips.

Tedman

Monkey
Oct 27, 2009
Lebanon, PA
I've been clipped in all disciplines since 1990. Been DH racing clipped in for 15 years and won't change. At 43, its what I've become accustomed to and feel best on. (even after trying flats for curiousity sake)
I like the ability to have complete control of the rear end and see no need for flats other than getting back on pedals quick. Not a problem though, I never put my foot down for anything other than bailout.
I think there's a certain fear factor that some have of being clipped to the bike.
In the end, its personal preference, but I believe clipless pedals are by far the best choice if someone is comfortable on them.