Quantcast

Clipless.

MattP.

Monkey
Jun 27, 2005
Hey all,

Looking at getting some clipless pedles/shoes and wanted to know your guy/gals' reccomendations. Im looking at spending no more than $60. This would be my first time trying clipless, so you know. I want a decent set that won't fall apart on me. Preferably compatible w/ SPD shoes. I'll mainly be riding on road/trails. Drops, no more than 2'. No real "downhill".

Thanks all

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
First off any question you ask on here you're gonna get 1-billionty responses. It's all about your preferance.

I've ridden Shimano, Egg Beaters, and Speedplay frogs. They all of their pluses.
I'm currently riding egg beater candy c's and they are great for the type or riding I do. I would never buy Shimano again but of course thats just my preferance. Speedplay frogs are really nice and they're easy to learn on because they are a float type clipless.

My suggestion is get some cheap pedals via the RM for sale forum and try a couple different kinds.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
stosh said:
First off any question you ask on here you're gonna get 1-billionty responses. It's all about your preferance.

I've ridden Shimano, Egg Beaters, and Speedplay frogs. They all of their pluses.
I'm currently riding egg beater candy c's and they are great for the type or riding I do. I would never buy Shimano again but of course thats just my preferance. Speedplay frogs are really nice and they're easy to learn on because they are a float type clipless.

My suggestion is get some cheap pedals via the RM for sale forum and try a couple different kinds.
Just out of curiosity, what's the badness of the Shimano?

Raaar

Monkey
Sep 13, 2004
Just getting into it? "Ritchey Comp" something or others...I picked up a couple of pairs from Suerpgo a while back for $25 ea. I've beat the piss outof them and htey seem to be holding up fine. Plastic seals are a bit cheasy..but hey, $25?!

AustinM

Chimp
Feb 22, 2005
You might as well get something decent, i've had experience with ritchey's and wellgo's and they aren't great. Shimano 520's is what I've been running for the past year. After going through 4 pairs of eggbeaters, I had enough. Eggbeaters are out of your price range anyway, and the pedal body has a nasty habit of coming off the spindle. Each time you send it back to the company they assure you that it is fixed this time and its not. I use to have a set of Time ATAC aliums, they were nice, the only gripe i had with them is the axles that held the clip-in portions of the pedal end up getting loosened and keep falling out. I think they fixed this problem though in newer models...

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
robdamanii said:
Don't worry about it, but know this they make you fall on the flat parts of trails.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I've got el-cheapo shimanos that came on my first bike... work perfectly fine with me. Not the greatest in the snow as the snow tends to get packed into the pedal and freeze, but otherwise they have been great. Kinda heavy, but function very well.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Another vote for Times - although they are all I've ever used.

Jollytime recommended them and he knows his shiz, so I got em and now I have several pair. They shed mud well, and they provide a decent amount of float too. They can be found cheap as well.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
robdamanii said:
While I haven't had a pair of shimano, my experience with SPDs is that they get hard to clip out of when the cleats get worn. Not bad. Just something to remember.

I've been riding times for a year now and they seem to be good pedals. Did knock an endcap off of a pair but they are real simple to rebuild.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
if i get another pair of clipless it would most likely be times. crank brothers mallets might not be bad to learn on because they have the large platform so if you get unclipped you can just mash the pedal instead of having your foot slip off. just a thought

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
A little advice: the first time you ride clipless don't do it on a new trail or one that's even somewhat challenging because your first impulse will not be to clip out and you will fall down (with the bike and still clipped in) and go Boom. The first time I rode clipless, I actually fell over in a parking lot just becuase I wasn't used to clipping out. Also, be sure not to adjust your tension too high at first. Good luck. You'll love 'em once clipping out becomes second nature.

wardo

Chimp
Jan 1, 2005
Chehalis, WA
Times have been my choice for the past 5 years. I switched to them when I was cross racing, and was so pleased that I began using them on the trails. Clean well, low maintenance, and have a wide range of pedal choices that you can chose from. The lower end time can be found for around (note around) $60.

Wardo

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
For starting out just get some cheap Shimano knock-offs. I've been beating the piss out of mine for close to 2 years now.

If you are having trouble deciding PM me and I could probably send you the knock-offs, waiting on some Eggbeaters right now, but won't need the knock-offs in a few days.

The Ito

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
ito said:
For starting out just get some cheap Shimano knock-offs. I've been beating the piss out of mine for close to 2 years now.

If you are having trouble deciding PM me and I could probably send you the knock-offs, waiting on some Eggbeaters right now, but won't need the knock-offs in a few days.

The Ito
:stupid:
Seeing as how you're new to all of this, I'm with The Ito--find a cheap set of spd's to learn on. Spd's were perfect for me starting out because 1) they were cheap and 2) the adjustable cleat release tension was great for a n00b like me.

My experience has shown that pedals are similar to saddles in that what works for one person, may not work for another. I went from some Shimano spd knock-offs, to Shimano spd platform pedals, to Time atacs, and finally egg beaters. I have had positive experiences with the spd's and am currently very happy with the egg beaters. For whatever reason(s), I had trouble getting comfortable with the Times as no amount of cleat adjustment worked.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
The only complaint I have with Shimano pedals is that they suck in the mud. I literally plan a good place to fall over when I'm in the mud because I can't clip out. They're great when it's dry, though.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
Bicyclist said:
The only complaint I have with Shimano pedals is that they suck in the mud. I literally plan a good place to fall over when I'm in the mud because I can't clip out. They're great when it's dry, though.
I haven't had that problem. In fact, sometimes I feel like, regardless of how much I tighten my shimanos, I can still unclip easily on climbs (too easily). There are some sweet cheap ones on Ebay. I just snagged another set of Shimanos today for 24 bucks.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I've heard that when you hit rocks on the bottom of a Crank Brothers pedal, you unclip. This seems like it would happen due to the design, but does anyone really notice it?

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
Bicyclist said:
I've heard that when you hit rocks on the bottom of a Crank Brothers pedal, you unclip. This seems like it would happen due to the design, but does anyone really notice it?
It has happened to me a couple of times. No biggie, I still love 'em.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I want to try some Crank Bros. for my next pedals. They sound nice and pretty much everyone raves about them.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Bicyclist said:
Yes, it does happen, and it can be a pain. Especially if you're trying to hammer through a rock garden where any loss of momentum will cause you to stall.

On the up side, I find them much easier to get in and out of than my previous Richey Logics.

I may try Times for my next pedals, if/when my Eggbeaters ever die.