Quantcast

CO monkeys: Alpine Loop mid-October?

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Bad idea? Awesome idea? Somewhere in between?

Wife and kid are going to be jetting out to Seattle for unplanned funeral (wife's maternal grandfather--uncontrolled diabetes + leg infection == sepsis and very rapid decline). This leaves me with a free weekend Oct 18-19... so should I do the Alpine Loop? I'd leave Denver on Friday night, do the loop on Saturday, and return Sunday, unless I'm stuck in a crevasse at that point.

The only hesitance I have is due to the road conditions: http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/c4/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gjAwhwtDDw9_AI8zPyhQoY6BdkOyoCAGixyPg!/?ss=110213&navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&cid=fsbdev3_002300&navid=110000000000000&pnavid=null&position=Conditions.Html&ttype=detail&pname=San Juan National Forest- Recreation

I don't think I'm going to get a better chance than this, though, and might sell the Land Cruiser in the spring. I suppose I could pick a lower altitude, less snowy trip, but that wouldn't be the same. Hmph.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i'd hate to read about doctor lost in mountains.....

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
I probably could live for weeks off of my fat stores, if I didn't freeze first.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
although the 10 day forecast for ouray doesn't look that bad....

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Depends on the year. This time off year is "iffy". Weather changes quick anytime up high, but even more so in the fall. Could be amazing, could be Donner-Party-balls-deep-snow, could be both. If you're thinking about ditching the cruiser next year, I say watch the weather close, and if a three day forecast looks favorable, go for it. Pack blankets, food, water, and a shovel, just in case,

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
satellite phone prices are all over the place on ebay....

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
http://www.mobal.com/rent-satellite-phone/

+ "rent" chains from amazon, returning afterwards whether or not used?
Done and done. Sat phone is rented, and chains are en route from amazon. I will be a good citizen and pay return shipping to amazon post-trip... or my estate will own said chains, paid from my copious life insurance proceeds. :D

Last edited:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
You could always head down that way and hit up either the Kokopelli Trail going into Moab or the White Rim Trail. Both are supposed to be pretty awesome.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Have you ridden on the Front Range yet? I just about died in my first few rides here at that altitude. I highly recommend trying that first. Altitude is rough even for those who are fully acclimated and fit (no offense). Maybe try Deer Creek, Chimney or White Ranch. Green Mountain would probably be the easiest* of the local trails, but it's not exactly spectacular.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Yup. Driving. I'm not riding 60 miles at 11k!

As suggested, I'll modify to some other trail (maybe even Canyonlands if I have time? probably not enough time) if weather looks bad closer to the date.

Otherwise, my insurance is all paid up (car, health, life, disability) so I should be fine... right? :D

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I've heard good things about the San Rafael Swell - but that's REALLY off the radar up there.

Moab would probably be a good destination - there are lots of fun 4x4 trails, lots of people this time of year... so *if* you were to get into trouble...

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
AAA Plus covers off road recovery if it's a published trail, right? Right, guys? :D

Stoney: I have good tread depth M+S rated meats on there now, and chains on the way.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
AAA Plus covers off road recovery if it's a published trail, right? Right, guys? :D

Stoney: I have good tread depth M+S rated meats on there now, and chains on the way.
Black Bear Pass is actually a forest service road. So I suppose you could argue that it is indeed an established road and not a trail.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
although the 10 day forecast for ouray doesn't look that bad....
Forecast still doesn't look bad. Alternate plan is to do eastern portion of Kokopelli Trail, but Engineer Pass calls to me...

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Fruita to just after the Utah border? Too long to do in one day, probably, although I saw some insane woman racer did the whole thing in 13 hours via pedaling.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Too long to do the whole thing to Moab, I meant.

I still want to do the Alpine Loop. I think I'll drive to Lake City (next) Friday night and decide Sat morning whether to try the pass or turn tail and drive back to, say, Pikes Peak and its railway.

Last edited:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Too long to do the whole thing to Moab, I meant.

I still want to do the Alpine Loop. I think I'll drive to Lake City (next) Friday night and decide Sat morning whether to try the pass or turn tail and drive back to, say, Pikes Peak and its railway.
I wouldn't bother - unless you're just going to head down to enjoy the scenery. Report from the San Juans:

"Probably over 12"-24" now on the ground above 11,500 feet with the snow level down to 8,000 in the San Juan's"

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
I wouldn't bother - unless you're just going to head down to enjoy the scenery. Report from the San Juans:

"Probably over 12"-24" now on the ground above 11,500 feet with the snow level down to 8,000 in the San Juan's"
Hmph. Why does it have to go and snow when I want to drive, not ski?! :D

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Ok, if you were me (free from 5 PM Friday through early afternoon Sunday, with Land Cruiser but without skis--sold them years ago during residency) then what would you do?