Quantcast

CO monkeys: Alpine Loop mid-October?

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
You people with your non-driving suggestions, gah. It's getting cold! I want to be in my leather-lined cocoon, with my beloved seat heaters

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Ok, if you were me (free from 5 PM Friday through early afternoon Sunday, with Land Cruiser but without skis--sold them years ago during residency) then what would you do?
visit maroon bells.....weather forecast for that area is in the 60's all week...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
You people with your non-driving suggestions, gah. It's getting cold! I want to be in my leather-lined cocoon, with my beloved seat heaters
it would be a long drive....but....monument valley utah...

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
I like this Maroon Bells idea. I like it even more after reading that driving on the weekend is only possible October 5-closing (and it isn't closed yet). Some hiking + busting out the camera shall be in order, and I don't even have to drive anywhere on Friday night this way. Early morning Saturday departure and hopefully open I-70 tunnels...

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
it would be a long drive....but....monument valley utah...
Same goes for Moab, Canyonlands, and even the grand staircase. Nice sights, but a hell of a lot of plain desert on the way there.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I like this Maroon Bells idea. I like it even more after reading that driving on the weekend is only possible October 5-closing (and it isn't closed yet). Some hiking + busting out the camera shall be in order, and I don't even have to drive anywhere on Friday night this way. Early morning Saturday departure and hopefully open I-70 tunnels...
Hopefully it won't be like our experience last weekend trying to go to the Maroon Bells. The traffic was backed up into town from the shuttle parking at Highlands and the parking there was full. As was the Bells lot proper. We never got that far... we went up Castle Valley. Nobody up there.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
If you're gonna do Maroon Bells, is Independence pass still open?

*edit: CDOT says open and dry. DO IT!

*edit 2: Weekend leaf peepers in Aspen. Eff that. Go to Fuita and take your bike ya knob.

Last edited:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado

From my visit to the Maroon Bells in early October last year. Best to camp out or get there early, we were there mid-week and it was almost shoulder to shoulder at sunrise.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
I'm thinking leaving around 2 AM, taking Independence Pass, then getting to Maroon Bells before/at sunrise.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
Sounds like the pass was quite the adventure in JBP's youth:

http://cozine.com/2002-august/love-and-hate-on-independence-pass/

Getting there for sunrise would be the win, and would allow me to potentially continue to other trails later in the day...
Several generations of Men-folk from my family are CO natives. I am given to the impression that road conditions are almost unbelievably more favorable than they were just a couple decades ago. The old man traveled single lane dirt roads in his youth that are now multi-lane commercial high ways.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Revised, still ambitious plan:

Reason for the bottom left part of the loop:

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
If I get to Maroon Bells by sunrise, am out of there by 8, then I should be able to make it to Telluride by Saturday night. Otherwise it's going to be another early, long day on Sunday to get to DIA by 5 PM. :D

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
You don't think the squiggly bit through Grand Mesa would be worth the slog on 70? By that time I'm going to be bleary-eyed...

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
:thumb:

Edit: I'd agree with SS, if your pace was more casual or you had more time. FWIW, that stretch of interstate has to be the most amazing section of freeway ever laid down, but it is still interstate.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
I also see that it wouldn't be retracing my steps, whereas I thought it would be, so perhaps I will take your suggestion to heart.