Quantcast

code 5 vs saint?

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA
Sorry for posting a vs thread, but after reading everything I could find I still can't really decide. My new rig came with saints, but I'm really curious to try the code 5's.

Reasons I like the code:
- My other bikes have juicy's, so I've grown very used to that lever (saint levers feel thin to me)
- Supposed great power
- Wouldn't really cost me much (or anything) to switch

But, I already have the saints, and I hear they are super reliable and easy to bleed.

Anyone tried both?

Broken_Spoke

Mr. Big Hot Pastrami
Feb 26, 2003
Bozeman, MT
Have you thought about looking for new lever blades? That would be much cheaper than going out and buying a whole new set of brakes.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
You will likely get used to the new lever feel in a ride or two. The Saints are excellent brakes. I would just stick with them. The CODE 5's just don't seem worth the hassle of swapping them out. (I'm using Juicy 7's, which are great - and I have tried out the Saints)

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA
Have you thought about looking for new lever blades? That would be much cheaper than going out and buying a whole new set of brakes.
Well like I was saying, it wouldn't really cost me anything in the end to switch (besides time), so it's a matter of which is the better brake. After riding around a bit, I'm leaning toward the code solely based on the lever feel/actuation of the saint compared to my juicy's. But like I said, I don't have any real time on either, so it's just a guess as to which will be better in the long run

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I've been on saints for a year and a half now, and am very happy with them. a friend of mine has code 5's and he considers them to be too grabby.

Either way if you decide to sell your saints let me know :D

bushrider

Monkey
Jul 4, 2006
NYC
I have 2007 codes and saints.

Code vs Saint

Power: very close, codes maybe slightly more powerful

Modulation/feel: codes feel slightly more progressive than saints, very close

Noise: Saints are silent, codes make noise when braking hard

Durability: Zero issues with the saints. Codes: rear lever failed, replaced under warranty. Front and rear codes were re-bled twice as the levers would intermittantly pull into the bar. So basically the codes needed pretty major attention 3X last season while the saints were flawless.

Weight: saints are lighter

I was very disapointed by the codes. I paid a premium over saints expecting that power and modulation would be significantly better than saints. I wanted super powerful brakes to minimise arm pump DHing all day at the bike park. On top of that I found the codes to be relatively high maintance at least compared to saints.

I just sold my codes and replaced them with 2nd hand Gustavs.

So stick with the Saints IMO.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
saints are the best brakes i have ever ridden i ride the calipers on both my dh and trail bike and am very happy...i wouldnt get the avids they have a hoaky bleed system saints are easy as hell...

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
My codes have been awesome. Endless power and good modulation. The only maintenance I've done has been an initial line shorten/bleed and pad changes.