Quantcast

Code Brakes. . . anyone got any comments?

Jan 27, 2007
L-Town
I want to get new brakes and I think I am going to get the avid codes. I currently have Hayes Mags with goodridge lines, dangerboy levers, and ebc red pads. They stop really well but they are a pain to keep working good and I want something with on the fly adjustability. I know I can really go wrong with the codes, but I want to see what you guys think of them. I was also thinking of getting the formula biancos. Any suggestions/comments will help.

Yeti

Monkey
May 17, 2005
yeti cave@the beach
the codes are great, at least i got the calipers and ultimate levers, but i feel i got more power and a bit more modulation than on the juicy7.imo the code lever is really overized, but again, if you want something almost "unbreakeable", then go for it. also i believe you will want to keep your goodridge lines-> about that, the current goodridge fittings are around 0.6mm to short on the compression nut, so you will have to wait around 3-5weeks until your goodridge dealer gets the new and right fittings for your code lever (all this assuming that the code lever female port is the same as the ultimate one). cheers

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
You might want to wait until the 08' Codes come out toward the end of the year - they'll have magnesium lever bodies/master cylinders, slightly lighter calipers and weigh about 60g lighter per wheel:

Press Release:

CODE
...after the successful release, the consistent feedback Avid received from riders is that the brake was a little bit heavy. So for 2008 Avid went with a forged Magnesium lever body and 3 sealed internal bearings which shaved a good amount of weight on the lever itself.

On the caliper side, Avid removed the center mount banjo bolt that ran through the caliper. This also reduced the weight a little but also makes for easier bleeding of the caliper.

Codes will still come stock with organic pads, but the pads themselves now get an aluminum backplate (compared to a steel plate they used last year -07'- ). Also new for 2008 is 160mm Postmount option and it was also confirmed that Avid will be selling a BoXXer adaptor for 185mm rotor. In all the Code lost about 60g of weight per wheel.

El Diablo

Chimp
Dec 10, 2006
Japan
This may be a bit of a thread hijack. (sorry)
I too have Mags. They work well but can feel kinda mushy at times so I am looking at the Codes or Saints.
The Codes are looking great so far with no issues in their first year. 08 Codes are gonna be lighter which is a big plus. But I hear more rave reviews about Simano Saints. Is this 'cause Codes are too new?

Anyone know how the Codes stack up against to Saints?

StunZeeD

Monkey
Feb 6, 2007
PNW
I almost swapped my saints for the codes as well. I decided to keep them and love them, goodridge lines, dangerboy levers and you are good

sAFETY

Chimp
Mar 5, 2007
Anyone know how the Codes stack up against to Saints?
I have both, and they're great, but if I had to choose just one, I'd go with the Saints.

Performance-wise they're very similar, but the Codes are brand new, and the Saints are 2.5 seasons old (and still perform like the day I got them).

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
If you want on the fly adjustability, nothing beats that dial on the Codes. I hate sticking a itty bitty allen wrench in to tweak reach, which is what I had to do on hayes and on my Juicy 7's last year.

The dial on the Codes clicks like a Marzocchi rebound adjuster, a good thing...and dialing reach is instant. I got mine perfect in 5 seconds. As for power...they have enough.

The thing that feels different as opposed to my Juicy's is the lever pull feels more solid and connected to the feel of the braking. My Juicy's felt like I was using this tiny little lever to bring a rhino to a stop. But they definitely stopped me. It's just the Code feels more "confident". ?

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
If you want on the fly adjustability, nothing beats that dial on the Codes. I hate sticking a itty bitty allen wrench in to tweak reach, which is what I had to do on hayes and on my Juicy 7's last year.

The dial on the Codes clicks like a Marzocchi rebound adjuster, a good thing...and dialing reach is instant. I got mine perfect in 5 seconds. As for power...they have enough.

?
I think you might be a little confused? The Red dial doesn't adjust the reach, there's a 2.5mm allen hole on top of the lever that adjust the lever reach. It is easier to adjust on the bike though than juicy's.

The red knob on the code and the red knob on the juicy do the same thing but the code's as you say have a nice click.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
true...but oddly enough it essentially has the same effect. I was using it to set the brake to lock as close to the bar as possible..which is did.

I didn't even have to use the Allen to move the lever in.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
The reach adjuster sets the starting point for the lever and the red dial adjusts the amount of lever throw (i.e., the amount the lever will move before the pads hit the rotor).

So, use the reach adjuster to set where you want the lever to be when you first grab the brakes. Then use the red dial to adjust how close to the bar you want the lever when you're on the brakes. The beauty of the red dial is that you can adjust throw as the pads wear, if you bend a rotor, etc., without impacting the static lever position (reach).

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
The reach adjuster sets the starting point for the lever and the red dial adjusts the amount of lever throw (i.e., the amount the lever will move before the pads hit the rotor).

So, use the reach adjuster to set where you want the lever to be when you first grab the brakes. Then use the red dial to adjust how close to the bar you want the lever when you're on the brakes. The beauty of the red dial is that you can adjust throw as the pads wear, if you bend a rotor, etc., without impacting the static lever position (reach).
You're pretty close i think, however...

The red dial on the lever doesn't move the pads in/out like BB5/7's.
I don't think having the red dial will help you with a bent rotor as it doesn't move the pads out, but just adjusts the lever throw.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
im thinking about the juicy 7s. now people are making me think they arent downhill worthy. are they?
They definitely are, especially with 203mm rotors, and they are lighter and cheaper than the Codes. If you weigh less than say 175 pounds or so, the juicy's are probably more than enough brake. The Codes have more power with less effort, and the levers are burlier and less likely to develop slop. If you are bigger you may want the extra power.

That said, the hot set-up is to run a juicy lever with a code caliper.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
They definitely are, especially with 203mm rotors, and they are lighter and cheaper than the Codes. If you weigh less than say 175 pounds or so, the juicy's are probably more than enough brake. The Codes have more power with less effort, and the levers are burlier and less likely to develop slop. If you are bigger you may want the extra power.

That said, the hot set-up is to run a juicy lever with a code caliper.
Unless you never use your brakes, it doesn't matter how much you weight. I’ve came to the realization that the feel of the Juicy's change when then heat up (on long and steep DH runs) – something I have yet to notice with the Codes.

I really like the feel of the Code Lever - the lighter 08 Mag master cylinder for teh win.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
If you've never used Juicy 7's, they're all you'll need. Codes are majorly burly brakes for realy heavy duty riding. I raced an entire season on 7's with zero problems and I'm 195lbs and regularly did 2500ft elevation runs at Snowshoe and Windrock with tons of braking.
Only thing I'd do is just buy a spare set of pads..organic pads go bye bye fast.

wirly

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
San Diego
Unless you never use your brakes, it doesn't matter how much you weight.
I must be missunderstanding you, because it seems there are only 2 things that DO matter concerning braking power: speed and mass. At the same speed, a more MASSive body will need more power to stop.

at any rate, I'm stoked they are coming out with a lighter version.

maniak10

Chimp
May 2, 2006
get the codes, ten times better than hayes. No arm pump, more power, easier pull, easy to adjust, easy to bleed, more mod, and they are built to take some punishment. That alone will save you in the long run over any Hayes application.