Quantcast

Coffee Maker recommendations?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
So I ended up getting one of these last weekend. Works fantastic, and i can now take it on the road with me as well seeing as I travel so much, so that is a big plus to me. $10cnd, can't beat that!

Plastic insulated body, flip top to drink out of it, spill proof (all sealed with rubber gaskets). Pretty impressed for the price.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
So I ended up getting one of these last weekend. Works fantastic, and i can now take it on the road with me as well seeing as I travel so much, so that is a big plus to me. $10cnd, can't beat that!

Plastic insulated body, flip top to drink out of it, spill proof (all sealed with rubber gaskets). Pretty impressed for the price.

You won't want to drink out of it if you can avoid it. When you do that, what happens is that the coffee grounds are sitting in the water on the bottom, and although the filter will make sure that they don't end up in your mouth, they are still overextracting. All the nasty bitter flavor compounds will be there after an extra couple of minutes...

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
You won't want to drink out of it if you can avoid it. When you do that, what happens is that the coffee grounds are sitting in the water on the bottom, and although the filter will make sure that they don't end up in your mouth, they are still overextracting. All the nasty bitter flavor compounds will be there after an extra couple of minutes...
I thought this at first as well, but it isn't the case. The filter won't let anything from under it out. Even the trapped liquid doesn't come out when turned upside down??

I use a mug anyways, because getting milk and sugar in is a pain in the ass, and I don't like the whole sippy cup deal.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I thought this at first as well, but it isn't the case. The filter won't let anything from under it out. Even the trapped liquid doesn't come out when turned upside down??
Ah, so it's not really a filter, like on a regular french press, but a solid plunger? That's cool...they thought that out pretty well.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Ah, so it's not really a filter, like on a regular french press, but a solid plunger? That's cool...they thought that out pretty well.
Yep, if you tried to drink out of my Bodum french press, you are gonna get the gas face. It only holds the grounds down.
Its 3 and out, just like the Oakland Raiders.
Anything much longer than 3 minutes in there is bad.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
All in all I can say that I am pretty impressed/stoked on fresh coffee every morning. Grind beans while water boils, insert bean of choice, add boiling water, stir, put on top. Wait 4 mins, plunge!

It must be some odd osmosis plunger. It will allow liquid through on the plunge down, but then nothing afterwards, it has me intrigued as to how it works.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
All in all I can say that I am pretty impressed/stoked on fresh coffee every morning. Grind beans while water boils, insert bean of choice, add boiling water, stir, put on top. Wait 4 mins, plunge!

It must be some odd osmosis plunger. It will allow liquid through on the plunge down, but then nothing afterwards, it has me intrigued as to how it works.
I now share your stokage.
I just picked up one of these things for $10.
It is like a regular bodum french press except it has a rubber seal around the outside. Makes a perfect travel mug, and the coffee taste just fine straight out of the cup.