Quantcast

coin counting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I have a big jug of coins that I want to get counted. I can do it myself, but that tkaes time. I can do it at Coinstar, but they take almost 10%. Any other ideas of how to do it?

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Credit unions or other banks that have free coin counting machines. Some banks you need to be a member, some don't.

Check your bank to see if they have one.

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
Do you take a toll road to work? I used all of my spare change on the toll road. I would count out 40 cents in pennies and stick them in a sandwich bags and toss them in my center console. Used to piss of the guy behind me when I would dump that in the machine and it would take about 30 seconds to count it all, but it got rid of hundreds of pounds of change over the years.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Sitting and counting change while watching tv is easy and relatively mindless. It really cooked down to how lazy you are. Do you want the cash value NOW and are you willing to spend 10%, or can you spend 30 min a night for a week and get the full amount in a week.
To accrue that much change takes time, so maybe patience would be a good exercise here. Plus if anything the gratification of knowing you rolled all those fing coins sure makes the money feel that much better... Like you earned it.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I think you'll be surprised how much cash you have in there.

We went on holiday in Italy with what we had in our jar...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Buy a coin rolling machine, feed your entire bucket through it. If you feel it's useful enough to keep, keep it. If not, return it. :monkeydance:

Many banks will do this for free. Most require that you have an account with them, though.

3D.

Monkey
Feb 23, 2006
Chinafornia USA
the banks in my area usually aren't interested... we've gone to the calneva with a few hundred in coins and had them change it for bills like we were ready to hit the blackjack table, and then, we leave

CdaleTony

Chimp
May 26, 2006
I have a big jug of coins that I want to get counted. I can do it myself, but that tkaes time. I can do it at Coinstar, but they take almost 10%. Any other ideas of how to do it?
Coinstar will do it for free if your willing to take a gift card at starbucks or amazon...
I turned this:
Into this :Click

181 Lbs = $1996
My bank (chase) counted it for free. If you were local I would take it in for you.

Attachments

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I count my change monthly. We have coin-op laundry so most of our quarters go to that or parking, so we don't accrue that fast. We still get around $10/month, which we drop into savings. And interest is interest.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
181 Lbs = $1996
My bank (chase) counted it for free. If you were local I would take it in for you.
growing up i had a neighbor who upon filling her similar 5 gal jug had almost half of it in either silver coins or wheat pennies

she started in the late 60's & this was '79 or so. how long did it take you to fill yours?

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Did any of you guys read about that story in Orange County a few years back of a guy who collected $10,000 in pennies? It only took him 30+ years.

Apparently he couldn't find one bank in the area that would take several garbage cans full of pennies..

CdaleTony

Chimp
May 26, 2006
growing up i had a neighbor who upon filling her similar 5 gal jug had almost half of it in either silver coins or wheat pennies

she started in the late 60's & this was '79 or so. how long did it take you to fill yours?
About 10 years...! I used to skim money out of it occasionally..Still 10...years....!

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Change adds up quickly. I toss most of mine in the ashtray in my car to use for the very occasional toll, but not driving much over the winter made it fill up and I took $32 in change out of there. Not bad for a relatively small container.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
coin star is a rip off unless you get a gift certificate to one of their partners.

i found out that most TD North banks do it free, but there arent any close to me.

this was filled a 5 gallon jug 1/10 of the way:

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
I put it in a bank for Caroline and take it to the credit union every so often. I like to take her so she can put it in and then deposit it into her account. She's 3 and has over $500.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
I needed money on a Sunday a few weeks back and cracked out the piggy bank. All banks were closed so I coinstared it. Came home with $65 and didn't think that was to bad.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
Listen buddy while you sit in your office cubical counting ceiling tiles I am enjoying the freedom of being a kid. I enjoy more freedom then most kids I know because I have no job yet still walk around with more money in my pockets then them. I bet after you pay your bills, your kids, your wife and put gas in your car I make more money then you. Making $100k a year means jack when you have $95 in bills to pay. Remember when you buy something on sale you aren't saving money you are just spending less.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Listen buddy while you sit in your office cubical counting ceiling tiles I am enjoying the freedom of being a kid. I enjoy more freedom then most kids I know because I have no job yet still walk around with more money in my pockets then them. I bet after you pay your bills, your kids, your wife and put gas in your car I make more money then you. Making $100k a year means jack when you have $95 in bills to pay. Remember when you buy something on sale you aren't saving money you are just spending less.
when you get back from making another down payment on your jersey pride tramp-stamp, we should get together to compare dicks...

- i save $15K/yr
- my house and one car are 95% paid off (the other 2 vehicles are paid for)
- i carry over no other monthly balances; no exceptions
- i work 10hrs/week & paid for 40
- my jetta doesn't smell like burnt goat sperm
- i have c-span2, espn2, & mtv2 on my dish package
- (most importantly) i have reached the golden banana

bitch, i'm straight up ballin

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
when you get back from making another down payment on your jersey pride tramp-stamp, we should get together to compare dicks...

- i save $15K/yr
- my house and one car are 95% paid off (the other 2 vehicles are paid for)
- i carry over no other monthly balances; no exceptions
- i work 10hrs/week & paid for 40
- my jetta doesn't smell like burnt goat sperm
- i have c-span2, espn2, & mtv2 on my dish package
- (most importantly) i have reached the golden banana

bitch, i'm straight up ballin
How much of that $15k do you see and that averages out to what $1250 a month? I bet after bicycle parts, starbucks and vending machine runs you see little.

95% means nothing, having bills is either you have them or you dont. You have them. 95% is no better then 60%.

I work 0 hours a week. Find a job you love and you will never work a day in your life.

My Jetta smells like new car because I have a little christmas tree I hang in a vent. If it didn't my car would smell of cow sh!t, cigarettes, and weed.

Oh yeah you have a dish? I have a life that doesn't need anything past the basic 13 on cable. I watch VERY little tv. I do have all the channels, just never watch them.

Your banana is as green as the grass in June.

PS my pen15 is longer :monkey:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I can't believe $tinkle got suckered into this argument, and I can't believe PSP thinks he's going to win it... which one is dumber? :monkey:

Status
Not open for further replies.