Quantcast

Cold Springs Rocks!

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Its in great shape. Some kind soul gave the trail a much needed hair cut and the tread is in good shape. So much fun, even more so if hikers watched more tv and stayed at home :p

Back to you regularly scheduled programming of pink tutus andtalk of "freeriding"

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Dude, I shall make a pilgrimage one of these days...when would be good for you? Like to spend 2-3 days riding and eating tacos at that one joint we hit last time...good lord those were delicious...

Just make sure we get some mullet action, m'kay?

MD

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
I've ridden Tunnel quite a bit, but only ridden Cold Springs once. I would like to check ride it again. Last time I rode Tunnel, it wasn't in the best shape...

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
MikeD said:
Dude, I shall make a pilgrimage one of these days...when would be good for you? Like to spend 2-3 days riding and eating tacos at that one joint we hit last time...good lord those were delicious...

Just make sure we get some mullet action, m'kay?

MD
Cruise up whenever, I'm taking off for Northstar last weekend in June.

There has been a mullet shortage lately, I dunno whassup :p

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Any weekday riding possible for you? I'd like to find some uncrowded trails...

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
MikeD said:
I need a month notice for a vacation request. Mondays are best for me to take off. So you tell me when I should schedule it :p

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Were you riding with Steve yesterday?

I'm jealous, I want to ride CS again. I've also heard there is some cool stuff happening over by Lizard's Mouth. Hmmm, time to start looking at FS bikes and spending some time in SB later this summer.

The Ito

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Ito- I remember back a few years ago when there was somewhat of a multi-use trail crisis there was talk of the forest service (or someone) allocating some of the frontside over off of west Camino Cielo for some MTB trails but I never heard anything more about it. What have you heard? Legal or illegal???

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Zark said:
I need a month notice for a vacation request. Mondays are best for me to take off. So you tell me when I should schedule it :p
But sick days are sooo unpredictable...

MD

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
MikeD said:
Hey, I'd be down for some weekday riding up there. MD can pick me up on the way :p. Seriously though, if you are planning a midweek ride, let me know and I will catch a very convenient 24 hour bug.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I think I feel something coming on too. Ahhh ahhh ACHOOO!

I'll be back in SB on the 15th so count me in. The Enduro needs to get reacquainted with the SB rawks :)

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
cough cough, sneeze, barffff, oh I think I'm getting the summer flue. Hmmmm, I heard these things require three days of rest. Looks like I'll be sick on a monday.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
punkassean said:
Ito- I remember back a few years ago when there was somewhat of a multi-use trail crisis there was talk of the forest service (or someone) allocating some of the frontside over off of west Camino Cielo for some MTB trails but I never heard anything more about it. What have you heard? Legal or illegal???
I don't know anything about no trails nowhere......

Um, I've ridden a few things over there but never explored it much. I know a few of the local groms have found some stuff to play on. I do remember the talk about mountain bike specific trails over there, but I don't think anyone wanted to give up the frontside stuff on Gibraltar.

There are definitely some great XC rides off of West CC, I'm not sure about DH though. I could never find anyone interested enough to put the time into exploring the area and I didn't have a car. I'll ask my friend Steve though(mbfanatic).

The Ito

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
There are no West Camino Cielo front side trails. Its all private property at the base and no one wants to grant an easement. They have tried to put one in for the last 25 years. Sucks.

R

Rabie

MikeD said:
Mike, as of next week, I'm up for weekday riding any time. Long shuttles (Wilson, SJT, Noble), road trips (SB, Bootleg), whatever (xc?). Just hit me up.

TYM

Monkey
Sep 10, 2001
Torrance CA
Weekends! Some responsible Monday thru Friday'ers wanna ride too.

Just skip the Maker's Mark and get up a little earlier.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
TYM said:
Weekends! Some responsible Monday thru Friday'ers wanna ride too.

Just skip the Maker's Mark and get up a little earlier.
It's not that we want to miss out on responsible M-Fers (heh heh) like yourself...it's that we want to miss out on the weekend crowd that'll be swarming the trails in a most obsticular fashion. Hikers we don't meet can't complain about us!

MD

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
count me in ive been beating the enduro sx in absence of my dh bike all week cs would be fun

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Got a few Knapps runs in on Saturday evening with wydopen and some other buddies. Good times. The trail is waaaay different than it used to be. The tree section is much wider and the rest seemed really dry and loose but I'm not used to that anymore so mostly I just forgot how to ride that stuff. :D

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Knapps needs some love. A few hits here and there would spice it up nicely.

Sean, how did you like the new exposed pipe sections at the bottom? Keeps you on your toes ;)

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Oh yeah, I especially like how they run at a nice shallow angle to your trajectory making it even sketchier. :eek:

Still tons of fun though!

R

Rabie

Zark said:
Knapps needs some love. A few hits here and there would spice it up nicely.

Sean, how did you like the new exposed pipe sections at the bottom? Keeps you on your toes ;)
Hey, I remember those pipes. Like the hand of God turning your front wheel. Easily the most exciting part of the trail.

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Rabie said:
Hey, I remember those pipes. Like the hand of God turning your front wheel. Easily the most exciting part of the trail.
Its worse now Rabie, there are 3 or so parts of exposed PVC pipe running parallel to the trail.

Knapps used to be really good until SCE decided to fook it all up. Its getting better, the "fireroad" is narrowing down to singletrack. No "features" to hit up though. I'll try to fix that this winter. :D

konabiker

Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Santa Barbara
Any SB people up for some shuttles on Thursday at around 1:30 or 2:00? I leave for England this Saturday for a month and a half and wanna get in some riding before I go. I have finals untill 12:30 at school, but after that I should be good to go. How 'bout a dj sesh at ellwood?

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
crap, that's when I'll be rolling into town but I have to unpack and Ed's already wanting me back at the pro on FRIDAY for chrissakes! So I guess I'm a no-go unfortunately.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Dave- I'll be back on thursday sometime and working some over the weekend at the pro again and unpacking the rest of the time, might have time to squeeze in a run or two though.

PM me if you pin something down, that goes for you to Noah :D

clysdale

Chimp
Nov 18, 2002
punkassean said:
Dave- I'll be back on thursday sometime and working some over the weekend at the pro again and unpacking the rest of the time, might have time to squeeze in a run or two though.

PM me if you pin something down, that goes for you to Noah :D

sounds good...and we'll have to get some BEEEEERs too.....now i better see you pushin some sinisters out the door!!!

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
It would really help me to sell them if I had one to um "evaluate". You know something I could run through some "real world scenarios" with and things like that. :D

Does VP have access to any demo bikes as of yet?

Edgy

Monkey
May 1, 2003
O.C
Zark said:
Ummm, I 'might' be shuttling. Not sure.
Noah.....
I'm about 95% sure W4S, Rabie(?), myself and a couple of others will be up round 9-10AM. Always good to have a local boy on the ride.

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Edgy said:
Noah.....
I'm about 95% sure W4S, Rabie(?), myself and a couple of others will be up round 9-10AM. Always good to have a local boy on the ride.
Hopefully Marzocchi will have my drop crown to me by then, otherwise I'll be trailbiking it...again :angry:

Gimme a ring if you end up here.
Noah
(805) 252-5198

Edgy

Monkey
May 1, 2003
O.C
Zark said:
Hopefully Marzocchi will have my drop crown to me by then, otherwise I'll be trailbiking it...again :angry:

Gimme a ring if you end up here.
Noah
(805) 252-5198
Drop crown..Yeah..what up wit dat? I thought you mentioned that a while back. I got mine within 1 week.
Trailbike? C'mon dont be so humble..everybody knows you'r "the" SB rock star;)

I'll ring you Fri nite once we finalize.

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
Zark said:
Hardtail it and jam two business cards in between your pads and rear brake caliper to not make it work (my cold springs arm pump memories -fun nonetheless).

Is this shuttle ride this weekend (too lazy to read from the start)?