Collateral

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Skookum said:
Great flick......

:thumb: :thumb:
I disagree whole-heartedly. I was very unimpressed with the movie. It started out ok, but it just got ridiculous. I mean, c'mon, if the cops are gonna try to protect someone and get them out of a crowded building, they clear out the building, they don't just saunter in with their assault rifles perched on their shoulders and wander thru the crowd. And, just in case you guys were wondering, it is illegal to pull a gun on a cop, no matter how good your intentions are.

However, there were 3 things that really bugged me about the movie. 1) When the power goes out, the phones don't go out. 2) All office buildings have battery powered emergency lights that come on in case of a power outage. 3) There is not a cell phone in the world that wouldn't get reception in downtown Los Angeles.

Oh, and Tom Cruise doesn't make a very good bad guy.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
dexterq20 said:
I disagree whole-heartedly. I was very unimpressed with the movie. It started out ok, but it just got ridiculous. I mean, c'mon, if the cops are gonna try to protect someone and get them out of a crowded building, they clear out the building, they don't just saunter in with their assault rifles perched on their shoulders and wander thru the crowd. And, just in case you guys were wondering, it is illegal to pull a gun on a cop, no matter how good your intentions are.

However, there were 3 things that really bugged me about the movie. 1) When the power goes out, the phones don't go out. 2) All office buildings have battery powered emergency lights that come on in case of a power outage. 3) There is not a cell phone in the world that wouldn't get reception in downtown Los Angeles.

Some valid points, but y'know i never obsess about details in movies. i totally know what you mean, i didn't buy the cel phone signal thing either, but it's such a small detail and i don't need everything to match reality because it's The frikkin MOVIE'S for crissakes.....

i think Michael Mann's other movie Heat was alot more realistic, but y'know what the story and movie suffered from it inevitably. This flick is way more streamlined, way less believable, and alot better because of it.

i think Tom Cruise did a fine job, wouldn't suprise me if Oscars get tossed at him for this role. Not that i think he deserves it at this point......

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
haha yah i sat in the disabled spot and put my leg up on the chair next to me. Worked out alright, and i have crutches to beat someone with if they get a cel phone call. :D

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
dexterq20 said:

You weren't paying attention, the cell phone was out of batteries.

Why wouldn't the cops rush in when they knew that the dude was gonna get killed any second? Taking time to clear out the building when the killer is in there with the guy?

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Ridemonkey said:
You weren't paying attention, the cell phone was out of batteries.
Mr. Skookum, if you please...
Skookum said:
Before that though he wasn't getting a signal that's why he ran up to the top of the parking garage.......
Yeah. That's what I thought. What.

Ridemonkey said:
Why wouldn't the cops rush in when they knew that the dude was gonna get killed any second? Taking time to clear out the building when the killer is in there with the guy?
And now I refer you back to my original post...
dexterq20 said:
I mean, c'mon, if the cops are gonna try to protect someone and get them out of a crowded building, they clear out the building, they don't just saunter in with their assault rifles perched on their shoulders and wander thru the crowd.
The cops didn't rush to protect the guy. They took their sweet time, which allowed the guy to get killed by Tom Cruise.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
(if you haven't seen the movie spoilers).........

i swear if people made movies believable and so reality based, you know how bad they would suck......

seems like every movie thread on here people get hung up on particulars and don't concentrate on important things like story, acting, cinematography. sheesh, any of you guys notice the awesome shots of L.A.? Made it look like L.A. is somewhere actually cool to go at night, now that's a feat.....

But seriously though the whole movie revolves around impossibilities. A cab driver hauling around a hostage cabbie, and a victim who happens to be a possible love interest of the cabbie who just happened to be the fare prior to the hit man, i mean c'mon..... Or the cabbie walks into the clients den full of bad guys and he comes off all bad ass, somehow saving his ass by making him believe he's the hitman.... if you're gonna argue believability hell 90% of all movies wouldn't be made, and only the Passion is the only movie that follows the absolute truth..... wink wink nod nod snicker.....

Dude this movie was really good if you think it sucked, well no it didn't you just suck.... :nuts: :sneaky: ;)

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Skookum said:
if you're gonna argue believability hell 90% of all movies wouldn't be made, and only the Passion is the only movie that follows the absolute truth..... wink wink nod nod snicker.....
Hahahaha :p

Skookum said:
Dude this movie was really good if you think it sucked, well no it didn't you just suck.... :nuts: :sneaky: ;)
-"Donkey Kong sucks."
-"Oh yeah? Well you know something? YOU suck!"

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
bhspec03 said:
ive never seen a phone lose power before. phones gert there power from the power lines not the same where ur house does. but i havent seen the movie so i woulmt kno
Have you never worked in an office building? Power goes out, phones go out.

I haven't seen the flick, but one big thing bothers me. Why'd Cruise's character choose a cabby to drive him around? I mean, why add another possible witness when he could have had a mob buddy hook him up with his own car? Or have a mob buddy drive him around? Is this explained in the movie?

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
He is a hired hitman who never meets his clients. The cabbie does not know what is going on until Vince's first hit falls out the window onto the cab. The cabbie would have never known what was up until that happened as Vince was using a silencer to shoot his subjects.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
pixelninja said:
I haven't seen the flick, but one big thing bothers me. Why'd Cruise's character choose a cabby to drive him around? I mean, why add another possible witness when he could have had a mob buddy hook him up with his own car? Or have a mob buddy drive him around? Is this explained in the movie?
yes.

--------------------------

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Hawkeye said:
He is a hired hitman who never meets his clients. The cabbie does not know what is going on until Vince's first hit falls out the window onto the cab. The cabbie would have never known what was up until that happened as Vince was using a silencer to shoot his subjects.
I still don't buy it. I'm not in the killer-for-hire business and even I know that 1) the best laid plans can go wrong and 2) one potential witness is one too many. Arrangements had to be made for him to kill those people. How hard would it have been to add a car into the arrangement?

I know, I know. This is Hollywood. Just about every movie has huge holes in the plots, but this just bugs me. My hangup I guess :p

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
pixelninja said:
I still don't buy it. I'm not in the killer-for-hire business and even I know that 1) the best laid plans can go wrong and 2) one potential witness is one too many. Arrangements had to be made for him to kill those people. How hard would it have been to add a car into the arrangement?

I know, I know. This is Hollywood. Just about every movie has huge holes in the plots, but this just bugs me. My hangup I guess :p
how about killing the witness then pinning it on him...... you just had to spoil it for yourself didn't you.....