Quantcast

college cooking

Oct 3, 2003
Denver, CO
so im in college and hungry. i seriously cant cook at all, never have. anyone have any tastey recipies that are very easy to make...ceral, mac and cheese, ramen and tv dinners arent cutting it anymore. please help.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Dorm or apartment? What cooking supplies do you have access to?

Omlettes or scrambled eggs in the microwave are awesome and easy. I'm also a fan of cooking salmon in the microwave, though when I was in the dorm I didn't do it often due to smell.

The Ito

P.S. This thread has a bunch of greasy foods, along with some healthy meals to impress the ladies. It is the perfect college guide....
http://vpfree.pinkbike.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=109795

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
whatever you do..... do not substitute black cherry yogurt for milk in instant mac n cheese....

one of my friends did that.....

I just mixed peanut butter and rice.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
i chop up a chicken breast and cook it in a skillet on the stove with some oil. I boil some spaghetti noodles, dump them on the plate with the chicken and then pour spaghetti sauce on it all. I don't heat the spaghetti sauce either, i just let the hot noodles heat it up.

Thats my fall back college dinner. I make alot of tuna fish sandwiches too. but i add lettuce, pickles, jalapenos, cheese, and onion to make it more of a meal

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
tonight i'm cooking some hamburger in that same skillet and dumping it on some instant mashed potatoes. I bought a bag of salad too. Going to cut up an avacado and add that to the salad. butterfinger crisp for desert.

Dude i used to loathe eating here at school, but i just realized i couldnt eat out every night and starting playing with foods i was comfortable with. I eat alot of those foods. But I branch out occasionally and the more i cook the better i get.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!

I used a wok like this for EVERYTHING during college. Whatever I had went into the wok first. Meat, veggies, fruit, bread for toast and even to reheat leftover pizza.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
I agree with the malodorous one, and also suggest getting yourself a rice cooker. You can cook up a big lot of rice and freeze what you don't need.
Some ideas from Japan- get some boneless chicken, breast or thighs, doesn't matter. From an asian foodstore get some yakitori sauce (if you can't find that get teryaki sauce or just use honey and soy). In a frypan cook the cut up chicken with the sauce. In a bowl (cereal bowl will do- bigger the better) put a bed of rice. Must be hot. Crack a small raw egg over the rice, then put the chicken over that. Sprnkle half a cup of green onions over the top and you're away.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Cooking is a skill that every human being should have. I mean one of a humans biggest concerns is eating. everyone should know how to cook.

Get a cookbook. Get the Better Homes cookbook to start with... it has a lot of good usefull tips and such in addition to the recipes. It will teach you how to cook. Learn some basic things like how to cook meats correctly, then practice and experiment. The fun thing is that you can eat your experiments and you will be surprised at how inexpensive cooking can be. And yes, I know that there are recipe sites on the net, but it's tough to have your computer in the kitchen with you while you cook.

Maybe try to do one new recipe a week. Cook it in a larger quantity on a sunday or saturday and you can freeze the leftovers for the week.

Since you are in an apartment and not a dorm you should be able to do this. And here's another bonus to this: Chicks really dig it. Tell a girl that you are learning to cook and that you would like to have her over to try your latest adventure and she'll swoon.

here's the book...

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
i'm with loco. (EDIT: I mean ciaran: would you change that ****ing avatar, its quite annoying.) if you are in an apartment you should be cooking. another really good cookbook is "how to cook everything" it breaks it down for you and seriously, everything is in that book.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Ciaran said:
Cooking is a skill that every human being should have. I mean one of a humans biggest concerns is eating. everyone should know how to cook.

Get a cookbook. Get the Better Homes cookbook to start with... it has a lot of good usefull tips and such in addition to the recipes. It will teach you how to cook. Learn some basic things like how to cook meats correctly, then practice and experiment. The fun thing is that you can eat your experiments and you will be surprised at how inexpensive cooking can be. And yes, I know that there are recipe sites on the net, but it's tough to have your computer in the kitchen with you while you cook.

Maybe try to do one new recipe a week. Cook it in a larger quantity on a sunday or saturday and you can freeze the leftovers for the week.

Since you are in an apartment and not a dorm you should be able to do this. And here's another bonus to this: Chicks really dig it. Tell a girl that you are learning to cook and that you would like to have her over to try your latest adventure and she'll swoon.

here's the book...

This is all good advice. I would add, however, that (especially around colleges) there are these things called printers that help you use free recipes without splattering grease on your computer screen. :D

Check out www.epicurious.com

ito

Oct 3, 2003
Ciaran said:

Get a cookbook.

here's the book...

Pffft, screw buying, here is my cookbook, just add "recipe" onto your favorite food or whatever ingredients you have:

www.google.com

Every recipe you could ever want in your life. Look for sites that offer reviews of recipes and you'll be set.

Also, Chili is the best thing ever for college food. So tasty! Make in large quantities.

And yes, it is important to learn how to cook. And, unlike scars, girls actually dig it.

The Ito

ito

Oct 3, 2003
laura said:
a good cookbook is so much more than just a book full of recipes.
glossy pages and 20-30 bucks down the drain?

JK....I have a Better Homes cookbook in my cupboard. More and more though I find myself going to the net for everything I cook.

Also, a cookbook is more like a guideline (unless you are baking). Use it for ideas and then go nuts with what you like/have available to you.

The Ito

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
ito said:
glossy pages and 20-30 bucks down the drain?

JK....I have a Better Homes cookbook in my cupboard. More and more though I find myself going to the net for everything I cook.

Also, a cookbook is more like a guideline (unless you are baking). Use it for ideas and then go nuts with what you like/have available to you.

The Ito
I tend to avoid cookbooks with a lot of pictures. The guideline aspect of the cookbook is what I love about them. I can sit around and read cookbooks non stop. I love it when I'm browsing and brainstorming and i come up with a culinary masterpiece on some random day, with whatever I've got laying around. Creating amazing meals is so satisfying.

EDIT: You can also get great deals on really good cookbooks at flea markets, antique stores, thrift shops, and even for the super low low on bargain racks at barnes and nobel or costco.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
A cook book is good to learn basic techniques for any first time cooking adventure. Google recipes are good if you have some basics under your belt.

Omelets and pasta dishes.