Quantcast

College Help : Rochester or Cleveland?

trialsboy50

Monkey
Nov 23, 2004
Right, I saw the other thread, and I had to start my own.

While getting an education is far more important than the trails, I still consider my riding very important. I've narrowed my choices down to University of Rochester and Case Western.

Downsides of both is that there is snow, and prob not that much riding in the winter, but ultimatley, I hope there is a good riding community.

What I plan to do in college is DH/FR, trials and possibly some CX. The new bike park in Cleveland is very appealing, but other than that, I don't know of much riding in that area(small trials presence)

Rochester has just plain cold weather which kinda got to me since I really like that school. Seems like there is a good group of urbaners between UR and RIT, but doesnt seem like there is any riding in the winter at all. Ultimatley, I dont plan on riding everyday, but hopefully a few times a week. I lean towards Cleveland for riding overall b/c it seems the weather may be a few degrees higher than Rochester in general.

Any opininos would be awesome,

Thanks
Byron

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
no riding it the winter???

you have to get out more dammit, i ride atleast 3-4 times a week. the snow is damn fun to ride in. we mostly do urban, and yea most the time its just me and another. pansies...
but theres also the tuesday xc ride. CX that, i know tons of people that do. talk to Echo he's on that one a lot.
there's a ton of sweet stair gaps at UofR.
Steve

RITFreeRider

Monkey
Sep 10, 2003
In a Boulderado state of mind
Well I live in Cleveland go to school in Columbus and went to school at RIT 2 years before this one. Rochester def had the best riding compared to cleveland. There isn't anything for dh/fr/riding. The guys at RIT, U of R and the draco boys are great to ride with.

Monkey
Feb 28, 2002
Vail CO
... or you could forget all that mumbo-jumbo and go to school in Santa Cruz. Your "inner rider" will thank you.

Nate at RIT

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
bending stuff in the ROC
Rochester in general has a great CX scene. I just got done with 9 week series, racing every weekend at least once. There's a decent amt of "natural" FR, plus the downtown urban scene. As far as riding during the winter, you just gotta know the people to talk to. Trust me, there's people up here who ride in the winter.

There's no bad weather, just inapproriate clothing.

In regards to trials: at this point, there is an amazing trials rider at RIT, and I know of another couple of kids who are pretty damn good.

There's def a good overall riding scene here in Rochester. Not much so much 50-mile trail epics or lift assisted DH, but pretty much anything other than that.

Spitfired

Monkey
Jun 18, 2004
Rochester, NY
U of R is a great school.

I have a few friends over there (I'm at RIT myself).

Honestly, if that's the school you prefer go for it. I wouldn't let riding get in the way of your education.

Jan 13, 2005
My dad is from ohio, and I lived there for a few years. Cleveland is a good place to live, especially for college. Yeah the snow is bad, but the upside you described kind of makes up for that, don't it?

besides, who couldn't use some winter lounging? I sure enjoyed mine....

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
My sister went to case western... I always got a "couldn't be more dull & depressing" vibe from the place... & Cleveland... that & it's flatter than a 11yr old boy's chest.

RIT's a good school... as is Case...

which is cheaper? ;) I'd probably spring for Rochester.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
oh & PLEASE don't be so misguided as to let that new mtb bike park be a deciding factor in school choice...

Contrary to that tv program (that I can't even remember the name of right now...)
Cleveland sucks.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I go to school not to far from cleveland, and like dump said it is super depressing up here on the lake (luckily i get out this year). My best freind is currently going to case, and it is a great school. I used to date a girl that went to RIT, and i would have to say that both schools seem to be in similar arenas. I would go with rochester the town is super cool very different from cleveland...rays is sick though :rolleyes:...im done

DHS

Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
Nate at RIT said:
Letchworth? I'm talking real mtn biking, not stuff you can do on a 'cross bike. Of course, that definition has expanded to everything except for >2 drops.
nope. a different place. letchworth has some good xc on the other side of the park.
but theres a ton of places to go other then there.

Spitfired

Monkey
Jun 18, 2004
Rochester, NY
dump said:
Contrary to that tv program (that I can't even remember the name of right now...)
Cleveland sucks.
That would be the drew carry show.
Also, the song is "Cleveland rocks" by The Presidents of the United States of America. The whole song is pretty cool.

DHS

Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
yup, and UofR does gaming nights like RIT. playing xbox on large projecters is pretty cool

BigStonz

Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
Swain!! NY
We have a thriving group of FR/DH in and around the little ski town of Swain. That would be just over a hour from RIT.Between "spring forward" and "fall back" we ride as a group every Thursday eve. and every Sunday afternoon. In the "off season" we still try to meet up every Sunday. We've got a few short, but excellent DH runs through the trees between the ski runs and also a nice North Shore type trail with 13 wooden stunts. There is also Stonybrook by Dansville..lots of steep chutes and stairs. Letchworth is also a nice placed to ride...more XC than DH. Then there's Italy Valley by Canandaigua Lake....a couple of nice longer DH with some pedalling involved.
Then there are 1000s of acres of State Land for XC.
I ride at least 5 days a week during the summer. Wheen we ride as a group, it's usually pick-up truck shuttles and quite a few beers. Most of us are old farts (30s), but I would say there is a decent skill level. When I ride alone, I pedal up to keep the fat off. If you end up in Roch., you can contact me at Robtrautman@hotmail.com

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Doesn't Rochester have it way over Cleveland as far as mountains are concerned? Just speculating, having been to Rochester but never to Ohio at all...

MD

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
MikeD said:
Doesn't Rochester have it way over Cleveland as far as mountains are concerned? Just speculating, having been to Rochester but never to Ohio at all...

MD
Rochester has some ski places within a couple hours (Swain and... crap, can't remember the other one) but I'm not sure if they allow mtn biking. platt isn't *too* far, though, and they have races each month.

DHS

Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
BigStonz said:
We have a thriving group of FR/DH in and around the little ski town of Swain. That would be just over a hour from RIT.Between "spring forward" and "fall back" we ride as a group every Thursday eve. and every Sunday afternoon. In the "off season" we still try to meet up every Sunday. We've got a few short, but excellent DH runs through the trees between the ski runs and also a nice North Shore type trail with 13 wooden stunts. There is also Stonybrook by Dansville..lots of steep chutes and stairs. Letchworth is also a nice placed to ride...more XC than DH. Then there in Italy Valley by Canandaigua Lake....a couple of nice longer DH with some pedalling involved.
Then there are 1000s of acres of State Land for XC.
I ride at least 5 days a week during the summer. Wheen we ride as a group, it's usually pick-up truck shuttles and quite a few beers. Most of us are old farts (30s), but I would say there is a decent skill level. When I ride alone, I pedal up to keep the fat off. If you end up in Roch., you can contact me at Robtrautman@hotmail.com
Thanks Rob, almost forgot about them. this be Steve, i'm friends with Johna. is Andy still alive down there, heard he picked up a VP-Free.
whats the guy's name that goes to Plattekill all the time with his daughter?

BigStonz

Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
Swain!! NY
Steve-
Andy is still talking about the VPFree..maybe one of years he'll actually go up there and pay for it. He actually has no bike now (he's doing the girlfriend thing). Scott's the guy with the Cheech and Chong van.
Have you been down here to ride?

DHS

Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
nope been a while. was hoping to come down this spring to ride. and this winter to snowboard. but got new bike so more interested in riding that for now.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
You'll get used to the winter, I mean I rode 3 times this week and two of the times it was below freezing. Seems to be pretty good group of guys who ride at U of R and RIT from what I have seen.

BigStonz

Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
Swain!! NY
You'll have to search around on the net..or even in the forums on this site. They've shown up in swain for the winter X Games. I don't know much about them except most of 'em have expensive DH rigs. I recall a few hot DH chicks were in the club.