Quantcast

Collegiate Nats. . .

dG video

I blew a mod to get this title
Feb 25, 2004
vermont
Whos taking it?

Ive been training some pinners over here in VT, watch out for Adam Morse and Kyle Hickey. Also well known Dave Smutock.

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
Some people who frequent Ridemonkey- TJ Sharp and David Camp both have a really legit shot at taking the DH. My other prediction would be Chris Heath.

I would be willing to bet that it will be those three on the podium in some order or another.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
as much as i like camps riding, if its muddy, he will struggle.

brian buell was killing it at final descent and is on a winning high.

I say he wins.

Bikerpunk241

Monkey
Sep 28, 2001
Mr. Buell is racing for FRCC, a div 2 school though. I would say he takes div 2. For Div 1, I would put Camp, Heath, and Sharp on the box....

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Wow...nothing like Pro classers bumping down to pilfer trophies from broke college kids.

I'll put my money on the real college kids making a legit go of it...and it just so happens they're my teammates who fall into the "non-sandbagger" category...:D:D:D

Charlie Mooney and Mike Thomas...heh heh.

Discostu

Monkey
Nov 15, 2003
Does anyone know if ford is even going? He sounded really burnt out on racing last weekend. He didn't even bother to put a chain/derailleur on his bike for Easterns.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Link to Collegiate Nat's info here

Not sure who all is going from the Colorado schools, but Buell is a good bet for sure - Like Alex said he's on a winning high and he loves riding Angel Fire. The Lazian took it last year at Seven Springs, and he's always a competitor when he keeps it on two wheels. Kid pins, period. Talked to a couple race crew guys last night and weather is cold, wet, and rainy right now, we'll see how the rest of the week turns out.

..."non-sandbagger" category...:D:D:D
So they're Semi-Pro then? :D

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
bummed i cant make it out there, its crazy that other schools are paying for everyones plane tickets and stuff.
I hope there a a strong showing from the northeast guys, we had an awesome season with some real good competition going on.

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
Im sticking with my boys Adam Morse and Kyle Hickey.

Morse is a balls out rider, and this course will probably be just that, balls to the wall, pedal as hard as possible.

And Hickey is another pinner, he got 10th last year with a crash. Hes taking my bike out there this year because his is too clapped, I offered for him to take mine so we'll see what he can do on a borrowed bike!

UVM all the way....

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
btw,

check out my Umass collegiate video i posted to get a little preview of some of the fast guys from UVM.

Beast

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Where the riding is good
Our crew is headed down this Thursday. It's our debut at the mtb collegiate nats and we're stoked. Colorado School of Mines Cycling Team

On another note - we've reserved a large condo for the weekend (Thursday-Sat nights) and have 3 open beds. Does anyone need some cheap lodging? $15/night will get you access to a sweet condo that is really close to the lift. PM/email me by Wednesday morning if interested.

-- Brandon

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
CPSLO will be out there in full force.

Brace yourself for a path of destruction, fury and fire.
I'll second that. I was pretty impressed when I heard who was going. Team keeps getting faster and faster. I wouldn't be that surprised to see more than one green and gold jersey on the podium.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
bummed i cant make it out there, its crazy that other schools are paying for everyones plane tickets and stuff.
I hope there a a strong showing from the northeast guys, we had an awesome season with some real good competition going on.
Damn....I don't know what I would have had to do to get my school to pay for a plane ticket. We couldn't even get them to pay our full entry fees. They paid half of the fee...I guess they really could spring for the whole 30 bucks.

Collegiate racing was a blast. Ultra-ghetto, all for the fun.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
So they're Semi-Pro then? :D
yeah exactly.

Collegiate MTB is that weird catch 22 situation. In any other sport, once you turn pro, even if you never make a dime at it...you are no longer eligible for collegiate events. Done forever.

MTB is the only thing I've seen where the winner every year has a pro card and the top 5-10 usually have a Pro card.
Sure a few semi-pro's are in there...but come on. Let's be honest.

How fair is it to be lined up against David K in a collegiate Finals???

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
I'm already stocking up on cheap beer just to survive that 16 hour drive. If we don't bring a keg, cold PBR 24 packs are 7.99 at Vons right now. GoodWill is blowing out costumes. We have a bunch of rental vans.

Soooo excited! Collegiate racing, for most of us, doesn't really matter a whole heck of a lot. It's a fun way to get back to what MTB racing should be: drinking beer with your friends and racing against rich kids going to expensive schools with full-on coaches.

See ya at the banquet!

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
yeah exactly.

Collegiate MTB is that weird catch 22 situation. In any other sport, once you turn pro, even if you never make a dime at it...you are no longer eligible for collegiate events. Done forever.

MTB is the only thing I've seen where the winner every year has a pro card and the top 5-10 usually have a Pro card.
Sure a few semi-pro's are in there...but come on. Let's be honest.

Except pros in mountain biking dont make any money. The ones that do certainly are not in college with the exception of maybe Jill a few years ago and Melissa Buhl.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Well, is he a legit, full time college student? If so, I'd say it's pretty fair. He has to maintain the same grades to not get booted out as the rest of the community. He has to attend classes and do his homework/papers just the same as anyone else. He just happens to be talented when it comes to bike riding as well.

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
Well, is he a legit, full time college student? If so, I'd say it's pretty fair. He has to maintain the same grades to not get booted out as the rest of the community. He has to attend classes and do his homework/papers just the same as anyone else. He just happens to be talented when it comes to bike riding as well.
Got to agree.

dcamp29

Monkey
Feb 14, 2004
Colorado
Wow...nothing like Pro classers bumping down to pilfer trophies from broke college kids.

I'll put my money on the real college kids making a legit go of it..
What does that make me? I'm broke, race pro (I bought/paid for everything last season) and a "real" college student? :cheers:

ballr

Monkey
Apr 7, 2002
colorado
First, I find it hard to believe that David K would be sober long enough to even attend one class at a community college, let alone be declared "academically eligible" anywhere.

Second, are yall sleeping on Codding? Big mistake. Wet, dry - no matter. He didn't do too bad at the Chile Challenge last May. Check it here:

http://www.racemsc.com/results/main.php