Quantcast

Colonade

Feb 25, 2005
seattle, wa
I hadn't been there in a while, so I decieded to check the progress. I was on my brakeless BMX so I didn't try too much.
To the one and only guy I saw working that day (Saturday); even though you turned your nose up at my BMX bike and only managed a snort when I commented on how fun the corner you were working on looked; you still get mad props for being out there working alone. Nice work, you are way more commited to the cause than I am.

Jun 18, 2004
I was impressed the last time I was there also... I liked the steep rock chute thingys and the skinnys over the sand ditch...

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
I personally would like to see some freeride stuff, or more tech.
It all seems to easy/boring :-/

sorry to say...although I like the idea, and the work being done there LOOKs great...but not much for me :-(

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
We've asked the city to ban BMX bikes from the park. They are way too destructive and scare the dogs at the dog park.
When the advanced section gets started we were going to do freeride stuff, but the only people showing up for work parties are speed walkers, so we're making an "extreme" race track for speed walkers instead.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
skookum...your funny...you really are.
...well I sure hope you are anyways.

Your kidding right?
:-/

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
Maybe because they are trying to get the NOVICE area done first, before they begin on the advanced lines...
Thats what I figure. First thing I said when I got there was, "Its probly all easy so that it can become accepted with the community and to be more friendly for everyone, then they'll add stuff." But, who knows...the plans I saw for the novice area looks pretty big, then I looked at the advanced line and it looks like it wasnt even there.:bonk:

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
I personally would like to see some freeride stuff, or more tech.
It all seems to easy/boring :-/

sorry to say...although I like the idea, and the work being done there LOOKs great...but not much for me :-(
Personally, if you want to have a voice, get involved. Go down and talk to Mike, show up for a work party.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
Ehh theres the thing, I dont drive, so helping on anything is near impossibly, not to mention...I wont actually get to ride it.

I have my own trails to work on, but if something interesting pops up at colinade...it would make me want to go there, thats basically what I'm saying.

Feb 25, 2005
seattle, wa
I'm assuming Skookum is only joking about banning BMX bikes. But if they do, then the BBTC has just aligned themselves with the skaters who want to ban them from skateparks. They will have become part of the problem instead of the solution. I mean think about it, how is riding a skinny on my BMX more distructive than riding the same skinny on my Mountain Bike?

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
Ehh theres the thing, I dont drive, so helping on anything is near impossibly, not to mention...I wont actually get to ride it.

I have my own trails to work on, but if something interesting pops up at colinade...it would make me want to go there, thats basically what I'm saying.
if you want good stuff go out and build, otherwise dont complain

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
if you want good stuff go out and build, otherwise dont complain
I'm not really complaining...just saying what I would like to see...and inturn what I think would attract people to ride there.
no biggy...

and what can you talk? Your in Europe.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
You guys take Skooks too seriously....

Also, people gotta start somewhere. That "easy" stuff you speak of is pretty scary to beginners. Plus, it's actually pretty fun to find "creative" lines with what is already there. An imprmptu game of bike "horse" is pretty fun. Find the craziest tech line you can and play without dabbing combining as much as you can. It's about making do with what you have and not complaining about what you don't.

I'm stoked about the advanced areas too. The idea is to bring a little Black Rock/Post/N'Shore home for the townies to play on when they can't make the drive. An outdoor Ray's with that shore influence if you will. And, no forester will have their cronies run a chain saw through your work when it's done...

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
All this talk about that area got me curious to pass thru on my way to work today...luckily I rode the big bike. I was pleasantly surprised by the latest round of work. Definitely lots of options for sure for the creative riders out there...not that I'm one of them.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Yah we're definately thinking about bringing the mellow riders skills on up with the novice area. We think that concept is the best otherwise you wind up with do or die like 27. But yah the park is open for all bikes, and all skill levels. We want riders meeting from all ranges of riding.

Most people just ride for fun, and that doesn't mean how big you can go, that's just one side of the spectrum... There are some that really like to climb more than descend (yah i know it seems backwards to me too), so most all the ttf's (technical trail features) on the novice area are pretty easy to bail from, or if you crash you likely won't be making a trip to the emergency room. This way we raise the level of everybody, and it makes riding more safe because your skills raise too.

But yah i've said it a million times on here, but i suppose it's worth repeating again, the advanced section will cater to the high skilled rider. We're looking to raise the bar, and have a legitimate legal place for our extreme cadre of crazies.

Just more reasons out of many that makes this park is so cool.

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
It is a hoot to watch Skook push buttons.:brows:

The place is fun. We've gone down there a couple times and it's a good place to practice things you want to work on, like wheelie drops. As Skooks says the skinnies and such are close to the ground so easy to practice bails. Why complain about a novice area like that where they want to eventually have BBTC bootcamp classes there? It's a necessity to get the general public interested as yes, many mtn bikers don't aspire to riding features so now they'll be exposed to it in an unusual park like this, just as they eventually got exposed to skate parks and grew to accept the sport.

Every time we go there, there's new, finished stuff to ride and eventually there will be lines linked all the way down.