Quantcast

Colorado colleges

bikerpunk98199

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
the hood
I'm headed to Colorado to look at colleges. Not the best student but live to ride down hill. Want a school that has more hands-on curriculum and the ability to ride a lot. where should I look?

racersdad

Chimp
Jun 25, 2006
Want a school that has more hands-on curriculum
The Boulder College of Massage Therapy (BCMT) is internationally recognized as one of the premier massage schools in the U.S. This is not only due to our challenging curriculum and excellent faculty, but also to our location in beautiful Boulder, CO, a renowned mecca for holistic healing professionals and educators.

As a non-profit massage school, our philosophy is to provide students with the diverse, hands-on experience they need to develop successful careers, while consistently giving back to our community through the healing power of touch.

VMARTINEZ

Monkey
May 23, 2005
Save your parents out of state tuition and just burn your money. The Front Range does not have that great of riding. I lived there for a while and think the schools are really expensive for what they are. Utah has better riding and the schools are just as good. Plus you can live ride and ski or snowboard within 20 to 30 minuets from SLC. From Denver to Vail is an hour and half or three on a Sunday in the winter. There is no DH riding on the Front Range but on XC trails and that’s not very fun.
But that’s me.

axlvid23

Monkey
Jun 1, 2003
Littleton
Save your parents out of state tuition and just burn your money. The Front Range does not have that great of riding. I lived there for a while and think the schools are really expensive for what they are. Utah has better riding and the schools are just as good. Plus you can live ride and ski or snowboard within 20 to 30 minuets from SLC. From Denver to Vail is an hour and half or three on a Sunday in the winter. There is no DH riding on the Front Range but on XC trails and that’s not very fun.
But that’s me.
Lies. The riding is great and you are within two hours of the best lift accessed DH riding in the summertime, Solvista and Keystone. Plus there is a TON of good XC stuff, which as most racerboys will tell you is the best type of training for downhill. CU-Boulder is where I currently attend and the riding scene is great. We also have a good engineering school (apparently ranked higher than mines, whatever that means) but we don't quite have the world recognition they do. I'd recommend CU for sure. Great riding and a pretty good education.

VMARTINEZ

Monkey
May 23, 2005
Lies. The riding is great and you are within two hours of the best lift accessed DH riding in the summertime, Solvista and Keystone. Plus there is a TON of good XC stuff, which as most racerboys will tell you is the best type of training for downhill. CU-Boulder is where I currently attend and the riding scene is great. We also have a good engineering school (apparently ranked higher than mines, whatever that means) but we don't quite have the world recognition they do. I'd recommend CU for sure. Great riding and a pretty good education.
No lies. I worked in Bromfield and had lots of friends at CU. Ya like you said 2 hours from keystone or Solvista.
So put the bong down and think. We can ride 10 minutes from anywhere in utah. DH in less than 30.
So now take another hit.
LOL
VM

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
It's true our off season dh is poor, but if you are a dirt jumper there probably isnt a better place to be in the country. I hate school in general, so I wont make any recommendations regarding that.

axlvid23

Monkey
Jun 1, 2003
Littleton
No lies. I worked in Bromfield and had lots of friends at CU. Ya like you said 2 hours from keystone or Solvista.
So put the bong down and think. We can ride 10 minutes from anywhere in utah. DH in less than 30.
So now take another hit.
LOL
VM
Last time I checked, you can ride to just about any trail on the front range in about ten minutes granting you are in its same general area. Boulder has a few trails, Golden (20 minutes from Boulder) has a ton, Littleton has a TON...I won't go making ridiculous assertions like "If you are anywhere in Colorado, you can ride anywhere and be to a trail in ten minutes." That's a pretty elaborate trail system... Spanning across the entire state of Utah and all. And Like the Hulk said, our dirt jump scene is unmatched.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I'm headed to Colorado to look at colleges. Not the best student but live to ride down hill. Want a school that has more hands-on curriculum and the ability to ride a lot. where should I look?
Hands-on curriculum? What type of education are you trying to get? I'd say most bachelor degrees are theoritical and not hands-on. I know the engineering program at CSU lets you build stuff and blow stuff up (I'm an alumni). Not sure if that's what you mean. But really any school in CO is going to be "near" trails and lift served terrain. Pick a school that fits you, and the riding will come. Trust me. Here are some schools that come to mind (any other local feel free to chime in to add more color):

Fort Lewis, Durango - Always seems to dominate the colligiate racing scene. Only a two year school and is in a fairly small town.

University of Colorado (CU not UofC), Boulder - Decent school, expensive and crowded city (I'm biased). Great location, great riding.

University of Denver, Denver - Always up there in the school ratings (I think). You'll have to drive to get to any real trail. Living in D-town does have its perks.

Colorado State, Fort Collins - Probably the furthest away from lift-served terrain, but make up for it in "down to earth-ness". Cool town, great riding, but mostly XC in nature. Lots of potential for FR/DH in the future. The gnar is there, you just have to find it.

Colorado School of Mines, Golden - Already mentioned in this thread. For the brainiacs among us. Probably is the school closest to trails (generally speaking).

Others:

Mesa State (Grand Junction)
Western State (Gunnison)
Regis U (Denver)
Metro State (Denver)
Colorado College
Colorado Mtn College (located at various ski towns. Powder days = no school)
Air Force Academy (good luck!)

Also worth a look is CU @ CO Springs or Denver. Basically the same CU education but in a different city. CO Springs has great riding and pretty decent town with a pretty big airport.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Pick a school that fits you, and the riding will come. Trust me.
I think it's kind of like that for a lot of the country, not just CO. It seems like every 2 months there's another "where should I go to college so I can ride my bike" thread. The same places always come up. Plus, I can't believe that people want to go to college to ride their bikes.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Yeah, DU seems to do their own thing. I knew a guy from Austria who was recruited by DU for their Alpine Ski Team. Guess how many Americans they had racing for them at that time? One.