Quantcast

Colorado monkeys - suggested places to live?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
If you're gonna go mobile, perhaps consider the Canadian Rockies? Those mountains are jaw-dropping spectacular.
That's likely the long term plan. We absolutely loved our trip to Banff and Jasper.

This will be my first foray into permanent remote work, so I'm starting with a domestic location near an airport, so I can get my feet under me, get a good workflow going. Once I'm a little more comfortable, we'll start picking out other locations - and the Canadian Rockies are very high on the list.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
...and the winner is...

Whitefish, Montana. Or rather a little outside Whitefish.

Partly encouraged by this thread, we explored a lot of places outside of Colorado, and when a great cabin popped up outside Whitefish, we jumped on it.

It's definitely further from a big airport than I'd like, but with COVID-19, I won't be flying any time soon.

Heading out mid-June on a new adventure! Anyone ever been there?

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
...and the winner is...

Partly encouraged by this thread, we explored a lot of places outside of Colorado, and when a great cabin popped up outside Whitefish, we jumped on it.

It's definitely further from a big airport than I'd like, but with COVID-19, I won't be flying any time soon.

It's been a long time since I went through Whitefish. What I remember is that there was really good Fly Fishing in every direction and Jasper and Banff were only a day away. Congratulations, you chose wisely

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
...and the winner is...

I got really really drunk in Whitefish after a week of backpacking in GNP. I don't remember much but they seemed rather tolerant of behavior that would have gotten me arrested anywhere else, so you got that going for you.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Wife and I spent 3 or so days living in the parking lot of the Super 1 foods. Great store and reasonable ice cream cones there, by the way.

The town is cute, and Glacier is in close proximity. Very wealthy area; you'll have to drive down the road to Kalispell if you want to mingle with the peons at Walmart.

The dog park there is killer. Our pups loved it. Try the huckleberry pie, you won't regret it.

If you ever feel like getting depressed, drive through the Native American reservation on the east side of the park.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Whitefish is on the list of "acceptable" locales in Montucky.

The only negative is the high presence of white supremacists and right-to-life religiousity, but "we" need more heathens to help turn the corner so your (temporary) presence should help in that regard ;)

My favorite part of Glacier (outside Many Glacier) is the NW Corner above Polebridge: Bowman / Kitna Lakes IN the park and excellent mtn biking on the national forest west of the park and NE of Whitefish Lake / Divide

Other tidbits:

The latest thinking is two cans of bear spray per person, as they don't always lose interest after the first can.
We've had a fun at the Colombia Falls farmer's markets -- beer and live music FTW.
This joint has the best beer / view of the lake in Big Fork: https://flatheadlakebrewing.com/
KNTR (on EmptyBeer) is "the man" when it comes to EPIC backcountry rides, and resource for some off the beaten track hikes too.
Since they are mostly logging/tourism economy-based I always get the sense that their Summer season is even more of a shitshow than Yellowstone gateway towns but with the CV-19 I suspect (hope?) we'll see fewer tourons overall this summer.
Take a roadtrip out to Yaak to check out the old growth / new growth cedar forest. There's a small state park where they didn't cut the big ones in Troy (near Libby) MT: http://www.libbymt.com/areaattractions/rosscreekcedars.htm
In addition to the hucks, there's 'shrooms, 'shrooms, 'shrooms up there.
Flathead Lake (east side in particular) has some nice fruit orchards due to moderate temps from the Lake
Freezout Lake (near Choteau) has an amazing bird migration in the spring, if you're into that sort of thing...

And of course feel free to reach out if you're ever in our corner of the Treasure State (Bozeman/Island Park ID)

Last edited:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
The only negative is the high presence of white supremacists and right-to-life religiousity, but "we" need more heathens to help turn the corner so your (temporary) presence should help in that regard ;)
Hard pass.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Hard pass.
Seems like there aren't a whole lot of states clear of nazis these days.

@Montana rider super informative, thanks.

Our rental is for 2 months. I'm guessing we could add a 3rd if we liked it enough, but I doubt we'll stay in Whitefish more than that; we're hoping to do some exploring.

We've got a dog in tow and love to hike with her, so a lot of our hiking will be out of the park (though we'll definitely leave her home and do some Glacier hikes as well), but our AirBnb host was very enthusiastic about the amount of non-National Park hiking in the area.

I'm pumped to get out there and hit the trails.