Quantcast

commencal headtube sleeve

ronan

Monkey
Dec 7, 2007
Toulouse, France
i have a 2007 supreme dh and the black headset sleeve keeps 'dropping' a few mms creating a noise

setup: 2007 supreme dh/2006 fox 40/CK/black sleeve

if i loosen the setup and push the sleeve 'up' (so it's flush with the bottom part of the headtube) there is no noise, if i bounce the front up and down a few times it falls a few mms(somehow) creating a noise when you land the front end.

I know scott uses the headset sleeve system aswell so I was wandering if anyone else had the same problem

thanks

edit: the sleeve is not coming loose

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
yea, mine makes noise when its dirty. knock out your head set and give the sleeve and head tube a quick clean, grease it up and put it back together.

ronan

Monkey
Dec 7, 2007
Toulouse, France
the sleeve is clean (repressed the headset to figure out what the noise is)

the sleeve is 'falling' from the headtube a few mm, however much i tighten the bolts up so it after a few drops.

i'll try and get a picture to describe what i mean

Commencal-guy

Monkey
Nov 25, 2007
Massachusetts, US of A
I've had this same problem on my Commencal. What I did was take the headset out. Re grease the Sleeve / Headset and put it back in. When I compress the headset with a headset press I leave it on and tighten the 2 bolts in front and then take the headset press out.

ronan

Monkey
Dec 7, 2007
Toulouse, France
so you press the headset while the sleeve is installed (top and bottom) and the bolts tightend??

I installed the bottom cup with the sleeve out just for ease of us then installed the top one after tightening the pinch bolts.

My camera batterys have died so I should get some pictures tomorrow

edit: nevermind, i understand you now. so you use the force of the headset press

Last edited:

Commencal-guy

Monkey
Nov 25, 2007
Massachusetts, US of A
so you press the headset while the sleeve is installed (top and bottom) and the bolts tightend??

I installed the bottom cup with the sleeve out just for ease of us then installed the top one after tightening the pinch bolts.

My camera batterys have died so I should get some pictures tomorrow

Yup. It worked for me. Also keeping the sleeve at a setting you like, it would be a good idea, instead of fiddling with it.

JayCee

Chimp
Jul 17, 2008
I've had this same problem on my Commencal. What I did was take the headset out. Re grease the Sleeve / Headset and put it back in. When I compress the headset with a headset press I leave it on and tighten the 2 bolts in front and then take the headset press out.
This works, it is how I installed my headset/sleeve and I have had no issues with either.

(on a mini DH though, not the supreme, but its the same system)