Quantcast

Commencal Supreme DH :: Dropmachine style. ;)

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Really happy to have this finally done. The whole team will be rockin these beasts again, same as we did last year. Such a fun bike, really its not like anything else on the market. If you can take one thats properly built for a ride, do so. It'll make you smile like an idiot.

Parts ::

05 Commencal Supreme DH
Fox DHX 5.0 w/ Ti Spring
06 Boxxer World Cup
Industry Nine hubs/ spokes on black mavic 721s
Avid Juicy Seven brakes
SRAM X.0 rear
e13 LG1 chainguide (Its on the way)
King headset
e13 Integrated stem
RaceFace Atlas cranks
RaceFace Diabolous bars
Thomson Seatpost, cut to 7"
Crank Bros Mallets

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
wow that bike is hot! ive been drooling over the commencal site lately. they have such beautiful bikes. does the us distributor for commencal have any dealers set up yet?

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
I am really likeing this bike, its looks crazy nice. FOR ME ITS THIS or the m3

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Keep in mine zmtber that the two bikes ride very, very differently. The COmmencal is super flickable, light, and its like a rabbit. Nimble as hell. Its not a plow bike like the M3.

The bike weighed in at 40 even on a hanging scale. Not sure why that is, as the frame weighed in at 10.4 with the Fox DHX and Ti spring. I can't see anything heavy on it, so its kinda weird. I know the tires are kinda heavy, so putting the race tires on will knock the weight down nicely. Everything else is pretty light though, so I dunno. Any advice?

Maybe I'll get the guy from the Appalache thread to weigh it for me, then it'll be 31. :)

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Heavy seat.

What tubes?

You have to think of EVERY SINGLE PART to get the weight down. I run a Demo 8 that's 1.5 pounds heavier than your bike with a steel spring and a Boxxer Ride, and the frame is way heavier. I lost the weight in little ammounts at a time.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Front is tubeless with a Maxxis rim strip, rear tube is a standard not-xc-not-dh tube. Really nothing special. Seat is ass, thats for sure. That'll get replaced wiht something nice. Any suggestions?

Cassette is XTR 11-30. I know the bar is heavy, but I dig it. Rear tire will soon be a 2.35

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
For the seat I'd run a Selle Italia Flite or go I-beam w/ an I-fly post (soooo light!). Hrm, the cranks, fork, shock, and pretty much everything else are light.

lonewolfe

Monkey
Nov 14, 2002
Bay Area
Man, that bike is sweet looking. I hope to give one of those bikes a try one of these days. I don't know if anyone is carrying them here in the Bay Area yet. I have not seen one on the trail yet.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
get an slr for a seat or an slr carbon (some kid ordered one at the local shop here and flaked out on it, i go in and admire its beauty every day, its sooo sexy)

L

luelling

Killer bike...has the European facade. I remember when Sunn was owning the race scene, I wanted one of their bikes but couldn't find any around here. I kinda feel like that about Commencial....availability around here sucks.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
sayndesyn said:
I can't imagine running Atlas cranks and feeling confidant. Then again not everyone weighs 180 I guess.
I'm 200 pounds. I'm not terribly hard on things, and a few of my team guys ran them with absolutely no problems whatsoever. They should be just fine.

Side note: Holy crap the new Boxxer is awesome. Just....awesome.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
gnurider1080 said:
how are you going to get the e13 set up on the bike? i thought they werent compatible.
Technically, they aren't really. But with some forward thinking, a dremel, and a bit of prayer...well you just wait and see.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
dropmachine.com said:
Technically, they aren't really. But with some forward thinking, a dremel, and a bit of prayer...well you just wait and see.
i look forward to seeing this as i may be considering a commencal this season and i really like e13 guides.

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
How does this bike pedal compared to an RMX? I've always heard that RMX's were awful at pedaling, but every time I look at the two frames, I see that they are really similar in linkage design. Does the main pivot location being higher on the Supreme make it pedal that much better?

For reference, the RMX:

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
oh for the weight here's what i'm doing for my bike.
1. replacing all bolts with titanium bolts.
2. Getting that seat with an I-beam.
3. Stan's no tubes
4. Air shock
5. Lighter chain
6. Shimano Dura ace cassette
7. Shimano xt cranks
8. Finding the lightest possible tires. (conti. deisals
are pretty light.)

And thats probably your best bet for getting to around 34-35 lbs.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Dirtjumper999 said:
3. Stan's no tubes
4. Air shock
5. Lighter chain
7. Shimano xt cranks
are pretty light.)

I agree with you except on 3,4,7, and 8.

Stan's is no lighter than an XC tube. For me an XC tube works way better because I can actually change tires.

The air shock would make the bike ride like poo poo. I'm not a fan.

Atlas and XTs are approx. the same weight and I've bent the spider on XTs.

And tires are the ONE place NOT to screw around. If you run crap tires for the sake of weight your bike will be so schatty. Would you really sacrifice all your grip and stability for some acceleration?

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Dirtjumper999 said:
3. Stan's no tubes
4. Air shock
5. Lighter chain
7. Shimano xt cranks
are pretty light.)

Ti bolts are minimal weight savings, with maximum financial output. Friend of mine said the weight savings were a joke.

Thats a thomson post, cut to 7 inches long. The seat is 320g, so I could definately lose weight there, and will swap it out soon.

Screw stans. Overpriced by a long shot. I have Maxxis Rim strips in front right now, with no leakage at all so far. I will add the rear when the proper tire gets here. $5 a strip. Eat it Stan.

I will experiment with the air shock soon enough, but I doubt its the way to go. I am not going to sacrifice suspension feel just to drop weight, thats just dumb.

Lighter chain for sure. Any suggestions? I run 8 speed.

Dura Ace cassette removes any real range of gearing that i'd like. I am running a 40 tooth ring up front soon, and pushing that around with an 11-24 or whatever cassette....death. THeres an XTR 11-32 on there now, i might go with the 11-28 instead. ****ty range, but whatever. For the regular days, I push 11-32. For race, 11-28.

RaceFace Atlas and XT's are pretty close in weight already, and I just trust RaceFace more.

I will be changing the rear tire to a 2.35 Octopus soon, that should help out a bunch. I think when its all said and done, a realistic 38 pounds is possible.

This makes me wonder though, are all other weights lies? I can't see people having 40 pound M3's and V10s when all thier parts are heavier then mine. I know there is SOME exaggeration in weights, but damn...

sirbikealot

Monkey
Sep 19, 2001
Dundas,ON,CAN
luelling said:
Killer bike...has the European facade. I remember when Sunn was owning the race scene, I wanted one of their bikes but couldn't find any around here. I kinda feel like that about Commencial....availability around here sucks.
www.kmi.ca for bikes they have 100's

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
luelling said:
You can get them shipped to your store direct from the distributor as they are currently setting up U.S. distribution. His name is Clark Wright-916-765-7163. There, no more excuses.

Peddler

Chimp
Apr 13, 2006
Auburn, CA
Heath You are correct please find pricing for USA sales in US dollars, I will ship to your local shop for delivery. KMI has you covered if your in Canada and we are the exclusive USA Distributor. I will be at Firestone and NORBA 1 in Fontana Racing with the USA Team, You can check them out there.

Clark@ceerise.com

SUPREME 6 w/o shock $1,599
SUPREME 6 w/FOX DHX AIR $2,099
SUPREME DH w/o shock $2,099
SUPREME DH w/DHX 5.0 $2,499