Quantcast

Commencal Supreme Dh Question

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
Wow you have one?
I mapped the linkage and man it is sweet.Great pivot location too.

I assume it rides very well.

Krispy

sirbikealot

Monkey
Sep 19, 2001
Dundas,ON,CAN
leprechaun said:
Wow you have one?
I mapped the linkage and man it is sweet.Great pivot location too.

I assume it rides very well.

Krispy
The bikes are absolutely amazing race machines, they are the most nimble of all DH bikes I've ever raced, this isn't a plow through DH bike it is meant to be finessed with a little body english.
You hit it bang on with the pivot location, after talking with the guys at Commencal and their work with BOS suspension, its no coincidence where that pivot point is.

I've liked my other DH bikes for their own reasons (we were supported by Iron Horse and Balfa in the past 3 yrs) but as a pure DH race bike, this is the one for me.
This will be the 2nd year for Team Commencal/Dropmachine.com, we will be at mostly North American WOrld Cup, our Canadian National/Provincials Series and ofcourse Crankworx please drop by and try one out.

and it is 8.75x2.75, use the DHX 5.0 its the perfect match

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
Yes, it's 8.75 x 2.75. I'm looking forward to setting it up. It's not for me it's for a customer. I was kind of bummed you can't run other chain guides but we'll see how this one works.

Dufault01

Chimp
Nov 10, 2005
Damn, I am a bum, it is 8.75 and not 9 my bad. Its a really weird bike. Nothing looks too special about it on paper but on the course its just out of this world how it handles. Definetly have to addapt to the frames riding style. Everyone that has ridden mine has been blown away.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
You can fit other chainguides, Mr. Dufault here has an e13 on his. Its a mystery how he got it on, but its on there. It took much work.

We are going to put together a guide on how to do it, once he quits being a punk and sends pics. Apparantly the chainline is decent too.

sirbikealot

Monkey
Sep 19, 2001
Dundas,ON,CAN
biker3 said:
Where can you get Commencal in North America? Anyone in the US?
There is a dealer network throughout Canada, but the US is just now being set up.
www.kmi.ca is the distributor, they will ship to anywhere in the US
1 866 424 4600 or 1 514 633 8113
andreas@kmi.ca is the National Commencal Sales Manager, send him a line and he'll take care of ya

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Those bikes look really nice! I like the design and you know there has been tons of development put into them.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Its not just the development time thats been put into them, its who its been done by. The bikes are so bloody fast, you can feel it. I'm slow as hell, and the bike is always pushing me to go faster. So much fun, so damn nimble.

I can't wait till mine's rebuilt. :)

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Heath Sherratt said:
Yes, it's 8.75 x 2.75. I'm looking forward to setting it up. It's not for me it's for a customer. I was kind of bummed you can't run other chain guides but we'll see how this one works.
At first I thought you jumped ship with Cedric...

J

J5ive

dropmachine.com said:
You can fit other chainguides, Mr. Dufault here has an e13 on his. Its a mystery how he got it on, but its on there. It took much work.

We are going to put together a guide on how to do it, once he quits being a punk and sends pics. Apparantly the chainline is decent too.
I've played and played trying to get the e13 to run nice and have finally come to the conclusion that it just doesn't work. Chainline is always going to suck. The frame rocks though- I like it very much. Just needs an 83mm bb and 150mm rear end already damn it. Then it would work.

I plan to run a modified top half of the stock guide and chop the lower of an SRS to run on the bottom. Will keep yas updated.

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
What fork works good with those bikes? I know they stocked a 7" 888 a few seasons ago and that seemed kind of goofy to me being that a 8" one was available.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Its a pure race bike, the 8" version was too tall. It messed up the geo of the bike. It also dived terribly all over the place,

My guys have had good sucess with the Fox and Boxxers on there. We are setting them up with a fork from each manufacturer this year, and should have a report due back fairly soon. The 8" boxxers work too, as they are fairly short.

ilfreerider

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
israel
the supreme dh is one of my favorite bikes by design and looks (never rode one) as it seems nimble and agile.
however, im wondering how's the rear end works with "only" 7in of travel?
i dont really care if a bike has 10in or 8in of travel , but 7 could be considered a little low for a pure dh race rig. i rode a gemini dh a few times and while the bike was nimble and tracked "ok" ,it couldnt compare to some other bikes i rode with more travel (demo 8\9 , m1 , recoil ...) on the "rough stuff", and that is with the stupid low leverage of the gemini.

gil

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Its a different mindset then what most people are used to on a DH bike. I callit the euro mindset vs the North american one.

The NA mindset seems to be lots of travel, plow through anything and hold on. Most of the NA bikes are coming with a load of travel (M3, v10, foes...) and slack as all hell geo. I don't want to use the term "lazy", but it sort of fits. They are bikes that will save you if you screw up, and don't require a ton of skill to get motoring.

The commencal is different. Its stupidly efficient, and firm. THe ride is seemingly designed to be only whats necessary, and nothing more. It will take the edge off things, but it won't save your life if you're an idiot and choose the worst line possible. Its fast as hell, the steering is quick, and if you are willing to put in the effort, the bike will make you faster. The rear end isn't a plush ride, but it more then does the job. Witht he DHX on there you can set it up softer at first, and have it ramp up for a softer ride, but it will never be V10-like.

I've leant my bike out to a bunch of people, and every single one has said its one of the most fun bikes they've ridden. However, thats usually after a couple of runs. At first, becuase its so different, it takes some getting used to.

I should have the review on DM very soon. Hope that helps.

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
My experience with the Gemini DH is one of joy also. Seven inches seems to be perfect for DH if it's engineered correctly. Pivot point has alot to do with it as well as materials. The biggest differences between the two seem to be the lack of a floating brake arm on the Supreme and all the linkages to stiffen up the rear. I'm really curious to ride the Commencal line, the six inch bike the 4X, they all look so good. I realy like the single pivot designs and I find it interesting that Cannondale and Commencal are similar in their names, their bikes, and their riders...Cedric and Anne. Just one of those funny similarities in life. Too bad their made in Taiwan. I like the hands on quality control of Cannondale, so bling.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Thats such a cheap shot. Too bad thier made in taiwan? Gimme a break. Half the stuff coming out of Taiwan blows away the competition anyways. "Made in the US" definately doesnt' have the same quality assurance it used to.

The commencals are bloody killer in terms of quality. Its as stiff, if not stiffer then most bikes on the market, the linkage pivots are huge and solid. Nobody thats ever tried my Commencal DH has ever mentioned flex, and thats quite a few people.

It is interesting watching the riders go back and forth though. They go to Cannondale for the money, and Commencal to win. ;)

I kid, i kid.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Forgot to add...good call on the floater. I'm slow, and can definately use one. I think they built it without to save weight, and really, its not a bike aimed at the sport-class racer. Guess they feel that if you're on one of these things, you know how to brake properly and all that stuff.

Myself, I gotta see if I can get one on there. I suck. :)

biker3

Turbo Monkey
Heath Sherratt said:
My experience with the Gemini DH is one of joy also. Seven inches seems to be perfect for DH if it's engineered correctly. Pivot point has alot to do with it as well as materials. The biggest differences between the two seem to be the lack of a floating brake arm on the Supreme and all the linkages to stiffen up the rear. I'm really curious to ride the Commencal line, the six inch bike the 4X, they all look so good. I realy like the single pivot designs and I find it interesting that Cannondale and Commencal are similar in their names, their bikes, and their riders...Cedric and Anne. Just one of those funny similarities in life. Too bad their made in Taiwan. I like the hands on quality control of Cannondale, so bling.
I know your sponsered and all and I guess we are supposed to be for 2006 but you can't help but mention cannondale's fault in the pivot on the Gemini DH. There is no two ways of putting it but the rear end on mine was a noodle. The main pivot is like a 6mm bolt for god sakes. If you notice its by no means what cedric was riding. He had a gargantuan pin shoved in there, and I also heard his bike was running 200mm in the rear instead of the stock 180mm.

sirbikealot

Monkey
Sep 19, 2001
Dundas,ON,CAN
stinky6 said:
What fork works good with those bikes? I know they stocked a 7" 888 a few seasons ago and that seemed kind of goofy to me being that a 8" one was available.
they came with 7" forks as they are designed around 520-530 axle to crown height, thats why this year the fox 7" is being used (the 888 of last year dove better than Greg Lougaines)
a 8" boxxer has a short axle to crown and will work as well

sirbikealot

Monkey
Sep 19, 2001
Dundas,ON,CAN
ilfreerider said:
the supreme dh is one of my favorite bikes by design and looks (never rode one) as it seems nimble and agile.
however, im wondering how's the rear end works with "only" 7in of travel?
i dont really care if a bike has 10in or 8in of travel , but 7 could be considered a little low for a pure dh race rig. i rode a gemini dh a few times and while the bike was nimble and tracked "ok" ,it couldnt compare to some other bikes i rode with more travel (demo 8\9 , m1 , recoil ...) on the "rough stuff", and that is with the stupid low leverage of the gemini.

gil
the 7.2 inches of travel are more than adequate for a DH race bike, sitting on 4 inches of sag on a 10" bike gives you virtually the same amount of available travel in most situations,
that said this bike is designed to be light and nimble and with the next to perfect pivot location and rod and rocker link 7.2 inches feels great,
also at 37lbs out of the box its designed to be as pure a race bike as can be manufactured

sirbikealot

Monkey
Sep 19, 2001
Dundas,ON,CAN
Heath Sherratt said:
as for the 6" bike, Supreme 6.10, mountain bike magazine will have a review out in March, the 4" bike, Meta 4.10, already had a review in novembers dirt rag
there will be a couple 4X bikes on our team so we'll have some feedback from them soon as they arrive dec 28th

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
I would really like to try one. My bike has 8 1/4" of travel now and it never feels like too little, but a lot of times it feels like its too much.

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
Heath Sherratt said:
My experience with the Gemini DH is one of joy also. Seven inches seems to be perfect for DH if it's engineered correctly. Pivot point has alot to do with it as well as materials.
Very true. In my opinion, the semi-high pivot on the Commencal somewhat makes up for the lack of travel. The low leverage ratio is also nice. Quality of travel is much more important than quantity.

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
Wow, these bikes are no joke. It's going to be interesting seeing how the American market accepts them. It's so saturated and they have an uphill battle for sure, but the bikes look great, the technology seems spot on and the prices seem right in the ball park, oh, and their team is going to be great too if Cedric gets serious(about racing). The one thing is that Cannondale is proven to me, Commencal is not. Practical application is more important than e-pinions. Should be fun to check out, maybe I'll get to ride one at Sea Otter. If any of you guys are there look for me in the DH line-expert 30-35. H

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
dropmachine.com said:
The commencals are bloody killer in terms of quality. Its as stiff, if not stiffer then most bikes on the market, the linkage pivots are huge and solid. Nobody thats ever tried my Commencal DH has ever mentioned flex, and thats quite a few people. .
I dont know about flex, buil quality or else but they are better suited to finesse riders because they DO break a lot if you're not gentle. Go on any French forum and you read a lot about it

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
Mani_UT said:
I dont know about flex, buil quality or else but they are better suited to finesse riders because they DO break a lot if you're not gentle. Go on any French forum and you read a lot about it
Yeah, that's what I'm curious about. Ellsworths look great too but they break like yuppies at lunch time. Time will tell...and a little riding never hurt either.