Quantcast

Commencal Supreme DH questions

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
I'm thinking about replacing my DHR with a Commencal Supreme DH. Has anyone here ridden the Commencal? From what I hear it's really similar to the DHR. I like my Turner a lot and it suits my style, I prefer finessing stuff as opposed to plowing it.

Also does anyone know the compatibility issues with chainguides? Commencals seem to have their own guide and I guess E13s have to be modified to fit the bike. Does anyone have any speculation about how a Gamut would fit the bike?

sirbikealot

Monkey
Sep 19, 2001
Dundas,ON,CAN
to our knowledge nothing but the roox rollercoaster will bolt on, i know that cedric has modified a mrp/raceface thingy, a couple on our team took the generously sponsored E13's last year and made them work but i had the E13 techs spend a few hours on mine at the US Open before they said, Nope it ain't gonna work

all that said not one of us running the roox guides have dropped a chain............

as for the bikes performance, it is a pure race machine, very nimble and pedals extremely well, it is 7.2 inches so use it wisely
there are a couple review posted in here if you do a search plus Dirt Magazine has review on the Team model and regular model DH bikes, both are glowing reviews!

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
It looks like it has ISCG mounts... will the Roox guide accept a bashguard?

What about the bike refuses a guide? Is the swingarm just super close to the BB?

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
The main pivot is very wide, and pushes most guides too far outboard to get a useful chainline.

I have my theories on what might work though....

J

J5ive

E13 works with major mods. Set one up here and its going strong. Apparently they have 83bb and 150mm rear end planned or 07. I might look at them again when that comes around.

Metal

President of FRONJ
Oct 17, 2001
Orange County, CA
I just got my Commencal Supreme DH a couple days ago. I am going to try to rig up an E-13 guide when u have the time. I think Heath Sherratt was able to mount one up to one of the US team riders bikes. I'm thinking that I will space out the driveside arm a bit and only run 5-6 gears on the cassette. If all else fails, I think that a Truvativ guard will fit over the Roox guide.
I talked to Dave Weagle at Sea Otter and he says he has a frame at his house and will be trying to mount a guide to it. Maybe he can chime in after he trys it out.

J

J5ive

All the problems come from the bloody swingarm. The frames should of had an 83mm bb and 150mm rear end. Pretty stupid stuff up really, but yes, they ride really nice.

To fit the e13 you need cut off a portion of back plate. Theres two slots which carry the nuts for the top guide. Cut between these two slots down around 50mm and remove the left material. Now the backplate can rotate enough to put the top plate where the commencal one sits. The top mount holds fine with just one bolt, but you could add another- counter sunk in the thinner top plate material. Even with this removed you need 4-5mm of ISCG spacers to get the back plate far enough over to mount the top guide.

Then top the top guide plate I had to remove a fair bit of material on the back. Its reinforced after it goes past the back plate normally. You need to remove this material so that the plastic can sit flat against the pivot bolt on the frame. This bolt doesn't spin so its fine for it to sit against it.

Oh. I almost forgot. Don't go smaller than say a 40T. Smaller rings put the chain really close to the chainstays, its fine with a sram system as theres heaps of tension on the chain, but with XT my stays were getting beat quick smart. I also recommend using an e13 chainring or something else nice and thin, anything fatter is going to increase the amount you need to space the cranks over.

Good luck. Its well worth it. Ditch the roox.

heres some pics of someone elses mod, same as what I did.

http://www.dropmachine.com/media/sho...00&ppuser=1239

Jonny

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
sirbikealot said:
and pedals extremely well
what chain ring size have you guys been using? i tested one with a 38t ring and pedal feedback was noticable.
balcknoise, i feel the commencal is more flickable then the dhr. on the commencal alot of the weight is at close to the bb. you really can feel the difference. as for suspension i am not 100% sure coz i both bikes weren't properly set up for me. the dhr can run quite a bit of sag, donno about the commencal.

BSX4ever22

Chimp
Jun 4, 2004
clayton, CA
black noise said:
I'm thinking about replacing my DHR with a Commencal Supreme DH. Has anyone here ridden the Commencal? From what I hear it's really similar to the DHR. I like my Turner a lot and it suits my style, I prefer finessing stuff as opposed to plowing it.

Also does anyone know the compatibility issues with chainguides? Commencals seem to have their own guide and I guess E13s have to be modified to fit the bike. Does anyone have any speculation about how a Gamut would fit the bike?

you gonna be riding for commencal miles?

loulou

Chimp
Nov 2, 2004
montreal
Yeah the chain line is out 7mm, looks like they wanted a 150mm rear axle but had to run a 135...
Surprised that this is still not solved!

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
can people post their bike up here i have only seen the common pics, and you don't get a very good look at the bike

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
I never seen one of these bikes in person, but from looking at the pictures could you run an E-13 if you cut the top roler off and mounted some kind of tensioning thing to the frame, I think Foes does something like this? I'm not a mechanic, this is just a guess.

bob

Chimp
Jul 24, 2004
Norway
I just sold my Dhr 04 and got me a Supreme Dh.
It faster, pedals better and feels tighter.
Its very stable in the air also.
But the Dhr had more travel, and was more laidback.

You have to set the Roox up very well, but if you do it will work.
A few tips is:
The upper guide most be close to the chainring, but must not touch the chainwheel and when you bottom the shock the front nylon spacer (white) must not touch the chain(at least not press it to much down).
The lower guide must be 100% in line with the chainwheel and the pulleys teeths must alsmost touch the chainwheel.
Mount it as high as possible and have a lot of tension on the spring.
A Truvative guard will fit if you want protection.
I would recomment a 42 teeth chainwheel.

My ride:

Have changed the crank(old xtr), front wheel (easton havock) and got some alu and ti bolts since that picture.

Peddler

Chimp
Apr 13, 2006
Auburn, CA
If you want to test drive mine give me a call, I am in Santa Cruz and my lovely wife can shuttle us. The guys at ABS just gave it the post Otter tune. It is still pretty wet but who cares.

Clark 916 765-7163

Peddler

Chimp
Apr 13, 2006
Auburn, CA
Just picked up your message and we are back in Granite Bay. We made the run but it was alot more like Kayaking than DH. We are headed to the Firestone Classic the 28th-30th then Fontana for Norba 1 May 5-7th. Norba will probaly be crazy but the Firestone you can test it out for sure. If not, we will be back in Santa Cruz as soon as the valley heat send us back.:cool:

konabiker

Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Santa Barbara
Peddler said:
Just picked up your message and we are back in Granite Bay. We made the run but it was alot more like Kayaking than DH. We are headed to the Firestone Classic the 28th-30th then Fontana for Norba 1 May 5-7th. Norba will probaly be crazy but the Firestone you can test it out for sure. If not, we will be back in Santa Cruz as soon as the valley heat send us back.:cool:
Hey, if it's cool I would be very interested in testing the bike at Firestone. I've been considering one for a while, but on paper the geometry just looks like I wouldn't like it.

My name is Jack and I ride a grey IH Sunday. Hope to see you there.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Most people that tried my Commencal hated it first run. And I mean hated it. They gave it back saying that it sucked, was too steep, blah blah balh.

SO, i made them take it again. Every single one came back after 3 runs, raving about how much they loved it. Its a completely different type of a ride, but man once you get used to it its awesome. Of those 3, two made enquiries on how much I would sell the frame for. ;)

Peddler

Chimp
Apr 13, 2006
Auburn, CA
Yes Check it out at Firestone, though you don't get three runs. I am hoping a few of the fast old guys stay home so I can get back on the podium. I am thinking about trying XC on Sunday now that is scary. Dropmachine are you guys going south if the border this year? We would love to Join Forces for a day. As far as dealers we are signing them up daily send me an email and I can get you a PL.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
I'll check it out at Firestone then if I can. Are you the same Clark that was manning the Commencal booth at Sea Otter? I'm Miles, I talked to you a few times and rode the DH bike around.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I rode Peddler's bike for just a tad at Fontana and instantly I felt comfortable on it. It was sick! By far my favorite frame out right now...

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I'm thinking about getting a new bike for tech dh and some ocasional Fr. I'm Considering supreme dh, intense uzzi vpx. What do you think would be better? Supreme seems to be a bit long as it is longer than v-10's, glory's and suday