Quantcast

Comment on the Crested Butte MSC.

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
biker3 said:
So whats the track like? Would it be worth the drive from ARK? Im considering going to it and just wondering whats up on this race? Its about a 12 hour drive so the riding needs to be pretty good to head out that far.

I have never been to the race so dont take my word for it. But some friends of mine told me that the track is very pedaly and not a very good dh track. Sorta flat and wide open. But Crested Butte has some of the best riding in the world so if you want to make a trip out of it and bring your trail bike as well then I would consider it.

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
It IS very pedally. Except for a few rough section straight down the mountain where you haul ass and play with rocks, the rest is not very steep fast flowy singletrack with a few rocks thrown in.

I go just about every year because the town is fun, the scenery is amazing and it is still fun to go race on smooth singletrack.

I usually take my DH bike though this year I will take my 6" to see if it is faster. I bet it should be a toss.

So should you go? Well 12 hours is a long way. If you throw in some epic singletrakc before or after the race that will be worth it.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Jesse it's definitely a fun event but far from a challenging DH course. It is fun though, lots of nice singletrack through trees and some fast sections. I don't know if it'd be worth the drive or not, depends on if you want to do a DH race or not. :p The timing last year was really screwed up and the event had some issues, but I think someone told me this year that they're using a different company for the timing, so hopefully it's fixed.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
It is the same course as years past. Starts out going straight down the mtn, pretty rocky and fast, not all that steep or very long. After that there's an uphill section (yes, uphill). After the up, you go back down several somewhat tight and loose switch backs till you hit the road. A few more turns, one or two more uphill-ish sections, in and out some non-techy tree sections maybe a couple of jumps for the spectators and you're done. I'll start out on my DH sled, but I am bringing my 6" travel bike too, and will probably race it.

CB is awesome and has killer trails, but not for DH (that I am aware of, and if anyone knows of any...pm me!:thumb:). There's no MX or DS. There's really no other lift accessable trails to hit after DH practice closes other than the SuperD course (let me know if I am wrong here). The town is fun, and so are the XC trails. If you love riding in aspens and wildflowers, and love to pedal...this is the place!

Telluride on the other hand CAN'T be missed! Trust me!

Feb 20, 2004
Oklahoma
biker3 said:
Nah I dont think so alex. Alex, you gotta come over here for the sept. Devils Den race. We just built up a whole new section that is pretty nasty and rocky. Its stuff you would like, itd be cool to have you there.

Where is said section? I was over there last weekend and was looking for something different to ride?

SinatorJ

Monkey
Jul 9, 2002
AZ
Unless they make some BIG changes, I would avoid this race. It is not a DH corse, more of a super D. THe course had 3 uphills and no real obstacles that are worthy of more than a trail bike. I got yelled at by a lift ops guy because I did not want to stand at the top in a torrentialdown pour, timing was horible. Screw that race, I will never go again. How they can take such a big mountain and make it into a lame ass down hill is beyond me. you coast half way down the mountain to the start. Dont waste your time or $$$

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
SinatorJ said:
Unless they make some BIG changes, I would avoid this race. It is not a DH corse, more of a super D. THe course had 3 uphills and no real obstacles that are worthy of more than a trail bike. I got yelled at by a lift ops guy because I did not want to stand at the top in a torrentialdown pour, timing was horible. Screw that race, I will never go again. How they can take such a big mountain and make it into a lame ass down hill is beyond me. you coast half way down the mountain to the start. Dont waste your time or $$$
Yeah waiting an hour in the rain and cold sucked ass last year. :(

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
biker3 said:
Nah I dont think so alex. Alex, you gotta come over here for the sept. Devils Den race. We just built up a whole new section that is pretty nasty and rocky. Its stuff you would like, itd be cool to have you there.
you should, race is a race, after missing NC/VT i am so ready.

come on down to fritch and i'll pay diesel in my car the rest of the way.

dude friday there is a chainless race on pavement. for $20.
i am going to make a gravity bike from my 20 i no longer ride.
bring an old 20 we will make some and kill it!

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
COmtbiker12 said:
Yeah waiting an hour in the rain and cold sucked ass last year. :(
Hey, atleast you got to stand there safely! Those idiots ran me in the rain! I was the only competitor on the course. Halfway down that first, steep rock section at the very top, my goggles got COVERED in sludge and I ate it trying to get them off my head with one hand, while trying to ride that section with the other! Almost had it until I flatted on the road half way down and got tossed... Never did let go of the bike and there's a pair of new Rockgardn goggles as far as I could throw them out in those trees on the right!

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
Anyone know if the course got changed at all?
i am bringing my 6" and would not want to arrive only to see they turn it into a super gnarly rock garden paradise downhill!

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
A buddy of mine said he actually called CBMR (the folks putting on the race) and he told me that it's going to be the same course. They wanted to do a new course, but their excuse was there was too much other "construction" type stuff going on on the mtn so they couldn't do it this year. He will not be attending this race for that reason and a couple other items mentioned in this thread.

I say come if you can. This race usually turns into a huge party because of the lack of other things to do/DH terrain. If you're not scared, bring the trailbike and actually pedal some of their legendary trails. You won't be disappointed. On Sunday at the pasta feed, they actually give you free beer! SWEET!

That chainless race BCD mentioned sounds like a blast. I'm gonna try to talk as many peeps I know into it...

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
SylentK said:
I say come if you can. This race usually turns into a huge party because of the lack of other things to do/DH terrain. If you're not scared, bring the trailbike and actually pedal some of their legendary trails. You won't be disappointed.
Oh I am coming for sure. I love Crested butte and racing singletrack in Aspens is fine with me be it "ubergnarcorehellasomething" DH or mellow super D!!!

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
i loved that course for the simple fact that it is fast as hell, has lots of line choices in certain areas and has lots of bumps to pump and hop around on. plus the town kicks ass and there are other events going on that weekend with tons of girls running around. timing has always been screwy there. have missed the podium 2x b/c of it. parents complain about their kids not getting the correct time so they change

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
julian_dh said:
please dont tell me that a weight on the bb :rofl:
this is not mine. just one a saw on the web.

here is mine. i'm psiked, there is a guy who has won the last 3 years

on a lowrider. nice soft seat. super low bars. dirt front tire b/c

the first 3/4 is dirt road. if anyone has google earth its the road going

west from butte. its high rez for a while.

i don't have my weights yet but am going to use around 100lbs.

http://www.bikemag.com/news/fattire080404/
http://www.bikemag.com/features/heavypedaltour/cb/
http://www.ftbw.com/events.cfm#chainless

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
A little late but I was told about some fun shuttles that can be done around CB. Anyone has names and/or descriptions? We just want to ride more than the lift allows us but some of us have only single chain ring so that severely limits our options in the area!!

Thanks!

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
AusRottenVirus said:
I would say to not race the short travel bike. Last years winner Luke Strom rode his full on DH bike.
And the guy in 2nd (Kain) was on a 6"...
I think it's a toss. I always raced it on a DH. I am gonna try a smaller one just for fun.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
So bcd, how'd your lowrider do?

Mani_UT, how did you do with your 6" bike?

I ran a 5.17 on a Nomad with a 66. Good enough for me!

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
SylentK said:
I sucked :(
I was doing alright on the first half despite being overly conservative in just about every turn (first race clipped in.. that **** freaks me). In the second half I was all but dead due to a serious lack of conditioning (pretty much sat on my ass the whole bottom part).

In the end.. 18/24 in semi.. Not where I want to be... It's time to start training.

Other than that GREAT weekend. Super fun town, great single tracks, fun to see Alex and his crazy contraption in the chainless race, good beer, I am happy (Although I think I lost a lung Sunday. I am coughing hard today!)

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
SylentK said:

my gravity bike was fun, but i was 20th out of 50 on the LeMans
start. i missed a big guys draft and he caught the next group. then i
got caught but slingshotted past 2 tuns to go and finished around
10th.

my dh 29er was good. i did flat twice fri/sat, but went to 45 psi and missed the big rocks my race run and got a 4:53. lost 3 secs on
a off and could have pedaled harder. but i went in if i get 5th i'll
be happy.

i could have used 4-5'' and been ok. even with the big wheels
the bike is very nimble and turns quick.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
Alex - wouldn't that gravity bike have been faster without the metal crate? Maybe next year you should try plastic - it definitely slides better...
;)
CB was a lot of fun, maybe by next year I'll have learned how to turn in the slippery stuff...

mgy

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
Morrison
What a great shot Alex! You look like you are having one hell of a good time (and hauling butt!).:hot: