Quantcast

Comments on 06 EC-D and IH Yakuza line?

Hey....i have a couple of questions about the new 06 Mongoose EC-D and the IH Yakuza downhill line. I was basically wondering if all the hype about the EC-D is true...i mean by now i've heard a lot of riders say that the EC-D is a killer race bike....i was basically wondering what everyone here thinks of it. I've never actually ridden an EC-D and basically want to know if it's worth 3Gs. Also, how is the IH Yakuza Kumicho line of bikes? I mean, last year i heard how the 05 Kumicho was a great (and affordable) bike after the fork (Manitou stance kingpin) and the rear shock (5th element 3 way) was replaced. I was wondering if anyone agrees and how raceworthy the 05 Kumicho is? Also, the 06 Kumichos have a completely different component spec and i was wondering how they are in comparison to the 05 Kumicho. I know IH makes the Sunday line of DH bikes with their awesome DW link system...but i find that the Sunday is simply out of my budget. So please give me some feedback on the situation...thanks guys

jungle

Monkey
Jan 11, 2006
i was looking at the EC-D the other day at my LBS
not sure how the freedrive system works but the rest of the bikes
spec is spot on, top shelf race spec IMO nothing to change
I find Ironhorse wanting in their lower range bikes
once you get below the Sundays
definitely worth the bucks

hope this helps

DH_RACER21

Chimp
Apr 18, 2006
IH hands down is one of the best bike company's. They do make some ****ty loqw end 200 dollar bikes not posted on the web site. wich they sell in sport chek (up in canada). I have road 3 out of the 7 yakuza bikes. They ride amazing and for bang for hte buk they aint bad at all. Plus u cant gor worng with MARZOCCHI SUPER T. The consumers liked it so much in 03 they braught it back for 06. That shows u a lot right there. I aint a big fan of the MANITOU SWINGER 4-WAY COIL, but it will get the job done. I think it woudl ride better with a for DHX 5.0, but thats just preffernce there. It has x7 and u cant go worng with sram and there 1:1 shifting is amazing over shimano 2:1. Hayes HFX 9 the name explains it all no more to be said. Some people thingk single pivot suspension is crap, but it is race proven with 3-4 UCI top 5 results.

got any more questions just PM and all try and anwser your questions.

Hope that helps

DH_RACER21

Chimp
Apr 18, 2006
IH hands down is one of the best bike company's. They do make some ****ty loqw end 200 dollar bikes not posted on the web site. wich they sell in sport chek (up in canada). I have road 3 out of the 7 yakuza bikes. They ride amazing and for bang for hte buk they aint bad at all. Plus u cant gor worng with MARZOCCHI SUPER T. The consumers liked it so much in 03 they braught it back for 06. That shows u a lot right there. I aint a big fan of the MANITOU SWINGER 4-WAY COIL, but it will get the job done. I think it woudl ride better with a for DHX 5.0, but thats just preffernce there. It has x7 and u cant go worng with sram and there 1:1 shifting is amazing over shimano 2:1. Hayes HFX 9 the name explains it all no more to be said. Some people thingk single pivot suspension is crap, but it is race proven with 3-4 UCI top 5 results.

got any more questions just PM and all try and anwser your questions.

Hope that helps

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
i think the suspension design is a modified i-drive...like an idrive without the eccentric (same function).

that should tell you pretty well, as a lot of people are still moist over their i-drives, even though they broke. mongoose is a little wally, but that should bring the price down. hell, most dh bikes are probably built at the same factory in china

L

luelling

blue said:
luelling bought one recently. Do a search for "walmart bike"...
Why yes...I did buy a wal-mart bike :) And I love it. I haven't ridden the lower end IH only the higher end Sunday so I can't compare the two. BUT...just so you know I dumped my Intense M3 for the EC-DH if that gives you any indication. I like my M3 but love my EC. The biggest thing was racing for me.....I race semi-pro and I'm more of a jump the rock section and pedal a ton versus plow everything person. This is why I switched, the M3 is a plow everything bike and the EC is a nimble extremely well pedaling bike. The component spec is also killer on the bike...the Boxxer team performs extremely well and I was really impressed with it. For overall bang for the buck its killer

Hans

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
I've got an '05 kumicho, and al though the fork seized up the bike handles well, nice geo, good looks, good price. I'll be holding on to mine for a while...:love:

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
All I know is I've got an 2006 Iron Horse Kumicho coming my way and I can't wait! It sounds like I.H. has the '05 fork problem cleared up.

I've been riding an '04 Cannondale Gemini 900 up until now.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I bought an '05 IH Kumicho at the end of last year and got a swinging deal on it. I then sold the fork and bought an '04 888 with a flat lower crown and ex-heavy springs. I am putting a #450 spring on the rear and I will be racing it in Oregon this year. I changed the seat to a WTB Power-V because i didn't like the I-Beam seat it came with. Other than the fork and seat, the bike is stock. The tires are wicked soft and hook up very well. The geo is a lot like the '04 Bullit I had, so there was nothing to get used to other than the fact the floating brake kicks much ass.

I can't think of another bike I could build for $1800 that I would consider race worthy. I have been very happy with it this year and I think it will do well enough on the race course. I am glad I got it and figure I will have it at least a few years.

nice....i'm considering getting an 05 Yakuza Kumicho, and replacing the fork and rear shock....i have heard that the floating break setup on the Kumicho creates a lot of problems....it apparently makes a lot of noise, makes the entire bike quiver when the brakes are applied and still creates brake-jack....tell me about your experiences or opinions with this...thanks guys

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I like the floating brake. It was a big selling point for me. I just like the idea I can put the breaks on without locking out the rear. I have never understood when people talk about brake jack, so I'm no help there. But I love the fact I can roll with some brake without making it a hard tail. I haven't noticed any noise and I think it's a much better design than most of the brake Theropy options I've seen.

As for the rear shock, I am increasing the spring to #450 and keeping it. I think the 5th is a great shock for the single pivot design when set up correctly. I had a lot of setup practice on the Bullit, so I have mine dialed.

I don't see there being a bike as nice as this for the price. You can get a lot nicer bike, but I've spent $1800 total and there isn't anything I could build that would be better rolling 8" front and rear.

ok good...just making sure...the Kumicho sounds like an awesome deal...and i'll bet if its set up correctly, it could win a lot of races for me. I do have 1 more question and its about the EC-D. My so-called-sponsor (which is also my LBS) is offering me the EC-D for about $2700 - $3000. I was wondering what you guys think of the offer. And just give me some more feedback on the EC-D, whether you've ridden one or own 1. I mean, so far i've only heard good things about it (i kinda wanna hear something bad about it, if there are any bad things) and basically i just want to know if the EC-D is also worth the money....thanks guys

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
sorry, but i just don't think anybody has any time on a new mongoose. like i said, it's a modified i drive, and lots of people love the i drive, still. you're looking at similar construction quality with iron horse vs. mongoose, especially at this price point.

biggest difference afai can tell is going to be pedalling, and the ec-d should take that. but axe yourself, is it worth another grand? you know the iron horse is well supported and relatively tested (those brake issues scare me). You can save some money now and in a year or two spend ludicrous cash on a high end pretty boy DH frame.

clandestine

Monkey
Sep 26, 2005
Vancouver, B.C
if you lived in canada, the sportchek near me can order Ironhorse Yakusa Kumicho Type R for $1999CAD, is that a good price? seems really awesome in comparison to the specs.

manwithgun

Monkey
Nov 4, 2004
The parts spec on the goose is pretty damn impressive... but if moneys's tight and you haven't traveled much with yer bike, get the IH and spend the savings in Whistler.