Quantcast

Comments on M1

alexchannell

Chimp
Jul 23, 2005
Only have a crappy picture close up

here is another for the hell of it

The bike seems to be very sluggish on acceleration, I'm sure a lot of energy is going into the front fork, the shock with SPV seems to lock out under sprinting pretty well. (btw I'm comparing it to my buddies old school M1 - pre fsr)

My build:
profile cranks steel axle
superT pro - hscv only no ssv
azonic outlaws
maxxis minion 3c tires
random seatpost, wtb saddle
road casset
105 deraillieur
azonic a-frames
blackspire double bash setup
5th element w/ti spring (just rebuilt)
Juicy 7s

Anything stand out as slowing my sprinting down so much? Any comments on components that could stand to be upgraded?

Bathroom scale says it's 42 lbs.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Go for some Mavic wheels, the 721 rim is a great combination of a lighter design that holds up to major abuse. That'll save you weight in the most important area of the bike. Are you using 2.5 Minions or 2.7's? The 2.5's front and rear are a great set up. Going down to a 2.35 in back is also a great way to get things feeling snappier.

From your pic I can't tell how your bike is set up. Is your shock in the middle of the three holes on the black link? Try it in the middle hole, it gets the best geometry for the M1's design.

How long is your stem? 3 of my good buddies and myself have all had M1's, and we ran really short, 35-45mm stems. That will make a great improvement on acceleration. The M1 has a lot of weight on the rear wheel, and the short stem helps you take advantage of that. It also takes weight off your divey fork. I had an SSV Super T and a Fox Vanilla RC on my M1, and it was the best pedaling bike I've ever ridden.

Great bike!

alexchannell

Chimp
Jul 23, 2005
I was under the impression outlaws were pretty damn light for what they are? I'm pretty sure they are lighter than deemaxes?

Yep, I'm running it in the middle hole in the back and the long chainstay setting.

Stem is a direct mount, about 40mm if i remember right.

I weigh 170 lbs and am using the stock springs in the front and rear....sag is correct. However I seem to remember the super T's ragged on for having really soft springs stock.

I am running the 2.5's on both. Ohh and XC tubes. Maybe when they wear out i'll try a 2.35.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I loved my M1. Great bike

low BB position, short chainstay position.
I had 3 different fork on it over the years and the handling was the best with the SuperT 7" up front. Fokker loved corners, rougher the better.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I still ride mine, love it!

If you were looking to shave weight probably the cranks/wheels would be the best bet. If you went with EX721's they would save some weight as well as a different set of cranks. I can't say much though as I run Holzfeller cranks & Arrow DHX rims (like 800g+ each) but man do they take a beating.

I have a 190mm Shiver on mine and it works pretty well for everything. I run mine on the softer side as far as the rear shock goes but that's how I like it. You build looks pretty stout though :)