Quantcast

Comments on the HARBL thread and others like it...

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I realized looking thru the pictures that for the most part the sayings on them make NO sense what-so-ever. Some are extremely obsecure references and others are weird references to animal genitalia.

Why has this E-language become so popular? What about it makes it funny? For the most part it can only be exclusively used on the internet and doesn't transfer to conversational english very well.

It's would be an interesting psycological study for someone to really dig deeper into this.

ok so that was my misc. musings for the day.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
This 'absurdist' strain of humor is people's desire to re-embrace the simplicity and ludicrousness of childhood, but from the perspective of an adult.

Also, it is a sardonic response to people abusing and breaking down the written English language in an effort to communicate faster.

Also, it turns out that retards are in fact, very very funny.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I'm not sure it's really new... nonsense has always been funny. This is a new type of nonsense, of course, based on the errors that occur when typing, but that's the only difference. The type of humor itself isn't that different.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
"1337"

Once used by the hacker community as sort of a sub-culture language, ANYONE using this type of speak in the present day in age is either:

A) A clueless net newbie who somehow thinks its still "cool" to speak this way.

B) A veteren net user who uses it to parody the type of people mentioned in example A.

u r n0t 1337 d00d!!11

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Is it any different then saying Hep Cat, Homeboy, or Hizzle?

Slang terms come and go.

Aug 31, 2006
"1337"

Once used by the hacker community as sort of a sub-culture language, ANYONE using this type of speak in the present day in age is either:

A) A clueless net newbie who somehow thinks its still "cool" to speak this way.

B) A veteren net user who uses it to parody the type of people mentioned in example A.

u r n0t 1337 d00d!!11
Just like the sub-urban white boy with corn rows using "fo shizzle."

Stop it.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I don't know how many of y'all are old enough to recall "eat my ballls", that was funny. It's all the same crap.

Wikipedia:
Ate my balls was an early example of an Internet meme. In the late 1990s, many web pages were created to depict a particular celebrity or fictional character saying how they liked to eat balls. Often, the site would consist of a story or comic featuring edited photos about the titular individual eating balls. The photo editing was often intentionally crude to emphasise the parody. Usually the editing would go no further than a speech bubble or two added to each photo.

The "Mr. T Ate My Balls" web page was the original "Ate my balls" site. It was started in 1996 by a college student named Nehal Patel and became a popular Internet fad. It has now all but fallen out of popular Internet culture.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I don't know how many of y'all are old enough to recall "eat my ballls", that was funny. It's all the same crap.

Wikipedia:
Ate my balls was an early example of an Internet meme. In the late 1990s, many web pages were created to depict a particular celebrity or fictional character saying how they liked to eat balls. Often, the site would consist of a story or comic featuring edited photos about the titular individual eating balls. The photo editing was often intentionally crude to emphasise the parody. Usually the editing would go no further than a speech bubble or two added to each photo.

The "Mr. T Ate My Balls" web page was the original "Ate my balls" site. It was started in 1996 by a college student named Nehal Patel and became a popular Internet fad. It has now all but fallen out of popular Internet culture.

Interesting....

I thought a lot of this humor was based around "all your base"

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Interesting....

I thought a lot of this humor was based around "all your base"
Nah, it's just the way of the intarweb. "All your base" was just another example. Ever see the dancing baby? There's been a million internet fads like this, they just come and go.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Nah, it's just the way of the intarweb. "All your base" was just another example. Ever see the dancing baby? There's been a million internet fads like this, they just come and go.

Ok that said, I guess I'm intrigued by the psycology behind them. What is unique about them? What is type of humor is typically required? What seperates this fad from others?

ktmsx

Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
CT.
this is kind of like some of the lingo on bikerag... I just don't undersatand half of what people are talking about...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
nice. should be "mou sukoshi" (or "moo" but not as in cows but rather as a long "mo".

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
So does that mean the internet is just a fad?
No but I think it is the matrix in which the fads reside.

Note: The use of the word "matrix" is in no way a reference to The Matrix series of movies. If you don't know what matrix means then look it up.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
uh matrix as in an array or grid? in the matlab sense? please explain further. or do you mean it in the sense of a substrate, like the chicken wire under a plaster wall? :D

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
uh matrix as in an array or grid? in the matlab sense? please explain further. or do you mean it in the sense of a substrate, like the chicken wire under a plaster wall? :D
Don't you have a cadaver to explore?

As a substrate.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
yep, japanese, jbp: means "more" in as many words.

Ciaran, no, no more anatomy lab for me. since july i've been out in the clinics/hospitals. this rotation is pretty slow (family practice) thus plenty of time to pick up on internet memes and to dissect your usage of English :D

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Agreed, but it's not as simple as just slang.
The only way you would hear hep cat is to be part of the beatnik scene, until mainstream media (i.e. Hollywood) co-opted the movement (i.e. Maynard G. Krebs).

Obviously online communication is totally different than phone/letters, but is has the same revolutionary aspect as the Beat Generation.