Quantcast

Commuter bikes

Mike Clam

Chimp
Nov 8, 2005
I'm thinking about building a Surly cross check for a commuter. My ride to work just went from 6 to 15 miles (one way) and the old allez is begging for mercy. Any pros or cons you can think of? Thanks

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Cross bikes make the best commuters. Plenty of room for fenders and you can run whatever tires you want.
The surly is a especially good choice because it's steel. This means you can at disc tabs in the future if you ever want to go that route.
Also steel is easy to repair. Commuting on city streets is rough on a bike. When it breaks, you won't be out a frame.

wanker

Chimp
Nov 27, 2004
Ferndale
The Cross Check is a good choice. Recently, I started commuting on my cross bike (Salsa Las Cruces) about 10 miles to work, and found the ride to be a little more enjoyable than my road bike. I don't think the Surly Cross Check has the mounts for disc brakes, but I enjoy the comfort of the disc brakes in the NW weather. Happy commuting in the NW weather......this morning (4am) when I started my commute: wind was blowing out of the north at 25, raining, and 38F.

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
I commute about 15 round trip on my schwinn prelude. It has a pretty sweet dia-compe edge group. Actually I don't know why you would spend ten grand on some road bike, what's better? Lightness?

Mike Clam

Chimp
Nov 8, 2005
Thanks for the input everyone. I'm gonna go talk to the shop about options this week if I can get away from the bossman for an hour.

Feb 25, 2005
seattle, wa
Surly Cross-Check for me. It's an SS for now but it'll get "fixed" as soon as my new wheel gets built.
BTW: I just got back from NYC and nothing but fixies and SS's for as far as the eye can see. Everyone rides a bike there, even the Domino's delivery guys.