Quantcast

Compact Hydraulic Brake levers

Niall

Chimp
May 16, 2005
Olympia, WA
I have somewhere in the neighborhood of a decade of serious riding under my belt (in some form or another), and just as much tech experience.

until recently I have always run linear-pull brakes on my mountain bikes, and in doing so, often utilized BMX brake levers to accomany them. The super-compact, ultralight, overly simplified BMX levers with a short 1 or 2 finger lever arm length, and short pull action, were the perfect solution to cater to my minimalist sensabilities, as well as my high standards for fast, responsive braking power.

Recently I have converted my primary rider to hydraulic discs, and have been frustrated by the bulky size and sloppy action of my hayes levers, as well as the difficulty to fine-tune the performance.

My Question being:

Does anyone know of any manufacturers that produce a hydraulic lever to rival the function of compact cable-pull levers that I have found to do the job so perfectly?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Go to mechanical brakes like Avids. You can adjust pads very precisely and continue to use the "compact cable-pull levers that I have found to do the job so perfectly".

Niall

Chimp
May 16, 2005
Olympia, WA
I have indeed concidered that option, but I do live in the northwest, and ride in the perpetually muddy capitol forest where the unrivaled stopping power and modulation of hydraulics in adverse conditions is certainly appreciated. not to mention the benefits of a fully enclosed non-corrosive medium. but thanks for the idea

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Older Razorrock levers, which I think are made by DaBomb now, for Hayes are shorter, stiffer and more adjustable than stock levers. The Hayes Carbon levers also, to me, seem smaller and shorter than the std ones on the HFX or Mag models.

Another option might be older model Hope brakes (04s, Enduros, old Minis). The old Pro style lever is compact, well shaped and fits tighter than Hayes. The lever itself is smaller and the whoe body/master cylinder is as well. I run those on my trailbike and they've done pretty well.

What exactly bothers you about the Hayes? The size of the whole unit or just the lever? Are you bothered by the slight play in the lever that basically all Hayes have? There's basically no way to get rid of that I know of besides maybe shimming the plastic bushing pieces in there. I run GRC levers on Hayes and there's less play than in the stock levers, but it's not perfect. Getting the bleed right and running the levers as far in as possible so 1 finger braking gets maximum leverage make the brake feel best for me.

Few brakes are really going to have much in the way of adjustment besides reach. Juicys have a contact point adjustment, I believe, but that's the only thing I can think of besides some old closed system brakes.

Zaskar Rider

Monkey
May 29, 2002
PNW
I you're desperate enough you might try calling up dangerboy and asking if they'll do some custom work for you. Never know, enough begging and $$$ and it just might happen. I've never heard of them or any of the other lever manufacturers doing custom stuff but it was just a thought.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Niall said:
I have indeed concidered that option, but I do live in the northwest, and ride in the perpetually muddy capitol forest where the unrivaled stopping power and modulation of hydraulics in adverse conditions is certainly appreciated. not to mention the benefits of a fully enclosed non-corrosive medium. but thanks for the idea
Well, if Hayes is your brake of choice, you might do some more consideration.

Many of my customers have switched from the lower end Hayes to Avid, for the reasons I listed as well as equal or superior braking power to the Hayes.

The new Avid hydraulics have lever adjustment, something most hydros lack. You might also like the pad adjustment as well.

Niall

Chimp
May 16, 2005
Olympia, WA
I'm certainly not fixed to using hayes, actually I have been unimpressed thus far, it just happened to be what was on hand. I do however, apprciate the availability and the affordability of replacement parts for the hayes system.

I am interested in hope's products, especially their 'mini lever' but I have not had a chance to use these, or even see pictures of them, so if anyone has some hopes with the mini levers, please post a picture and give some input.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
The "mini" lever isn't a small lever...it was originally designed for the "mini" 2-pot XC brake. The lever itself is long and paddle-like, longer than the older Pro-style levers.

I like long levers, myself...more leverage for single finger braking.

If you're interested in something short for Hayes, PM me...have something you might like to try. Look at Bonz, Dangerboy, and GRC for short aftermarket levers if you don't want to PM me.

MD