Quantcast

compaq presario 1200us

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
i have an opportunity to buy one of these from a friend for about 250 bucks. the thing is in mint condition. should i buy it? what have some of the issues been with these laptops? i am basically using it for digital photos and internet. good deal?

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
10 gig. 800 megahertz, 128 sdram, cd-rom/dvd 8x, 2 usb, pcmcia slots, built in speakers, also comes with external cd burner. she is asking 350. it is mint condition as well.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Yeah I'd say thats a good deal. I had a 700 MHZ Sony for a while and it did the job. If you could put somre more RAM in there it would improve the performance a fair amount.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
If you are JUST storing the pictures that should be fine. 128mg is a little weak if you are going to be doing anything to the pictures or surfing the web much. You can usually purchase RAM for ~ $0.25-0.30 per mg. The more common upgrades are 128/256/512. However you would be looking at at least another $75-100 to make that sucker tolerable on the web.

I am not a huge fan of Compaq, but they are not horrible or anything.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
If you are JUST storing the pictures that should be fine. 128mg is a little weak if you are going to be doing anything to the pictures or surfing the web much. You can usually purchase RAM for ~ $0.25-0.30 per mg. The more common upgrades are 128/256/512. However you would be looking at at least another $75-100 to make that sucker tolerable on the web.

I am not a huge fan of Compaq, but they are not horrible or anything.

yeah but still it'll be able to do what i need it for. right?

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
The ram is usually easy to get at. It's proberly just a matter of undoing a screw and removing a plate.
As for the price, it depends how much you want and what it has at the moment.
Check crucial for a general idea on price, you will be able to get it a bit cheaper if you shop around.
http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?Mfr+Productline=Compaq+Presario+Notebooks.&mfr=Compaq&cat=RAM&model=Presario+1200US.&submit=Go

It sounds like you don't really need a laptop at all, desktops are a lot cheaper.