Quantcast

computer speaker noise

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i've got what sounds like pulses over my PC speakers, and it's driving me nuts. this seems to be a somewhat new phenomenon, and it's getting louder (though it is insensitive to the actual volume output level).

any ideas on what i can do?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Hiss or something else? Are you sure its not interference from your cell phone, I've noticed that on some computer speakers when cellphones are close.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
What is around your speakers? Interference from many electronic devices will give you strange, incredibly annoying sounds from your speakers.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
cell phone is downstairs.

it's not a hiss...really, it sounds like pulses.
Have the hard drives been next to them before the noise? I had that problem with a few of my hard drives.

Other than that it might just be picking some interference from outside.
Kind of hard to pinpoint.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i'll power down my drives and see if the sound remains.

could it be related to the modem? but that location hasn't moved in some time.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Probably electronic noise. Do these have a built in amplifier? Sounds like it as you say it is independent of volume. Try rerouting any cords running to the speakers if they go near any other type of cord. If you can not separate them try to have them cross at a 90 angle. If the power plug has a third leg for the ground try cleaning the contact so it has the best possible connection. If possible try plugging the power in from another socket, preferably one on a different circuit.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
It's weird interference from the motherboard. I had one motherboard that caused all sorts of interference and chirps when the HDD's were spinning, or when I moved my mouse (no ****). As soona s either stopped, the chirping noises stopped.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
i've got what sounds like pulses over my PC speakers, and it's driving me nuts. this seems to be a somewhat new phenomenon, and it's getting louder (though it is insensitive to the actual volume output level).

any ideas on what i can do?
i get something similar when using earbuds, battery power, & wireless & move about the touchpad (not on my ubuntu laptop, only xp - heh!). so i guess it's more along the lines of what transcend said.

are these speakers after-market/external, or embedded?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i get something similar when using earbuds, battery power, & wireless & move about the touchpad (not on my ubuntu laptop, only xp - heh!). so i guess it's more along the lines of what transcend said.

are these speakers after-market/external, or embedded?
the speakers are harmon/kardon ones i got w/ my PC two machines ago...two satellites and a sub down below.

like i said, the weird thing is that this noise seems to be a recent phenomenon, even though physically nothing changed around my computer desk.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
It's weird interference from the motherboard. I had one motherboard that caused all sorts of interference and chirps when the HDD's were spinning, or when I moved my mouse (no ****). As soona s either stopped, the chirping noises stopped.
i second that one
narlus: can you hear this on your speakers without distortion?
http://graphics.nytimes.com/packages/audio/nyregion/20060610_RINGTONE.mp3
lol, to the old people who cant hear that