Quantcast

Congrats ire!

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
IRE raced in the National Cyclocross Championships in front of thousands of screaming animated fans. Man, you did awesome. Did you get a good call up or just have an awesome start? Right from the first lap you were pretty high up there and that is no easy effort. :thumb: I cheered like hell for you every lap.

29 out of 108! Sweet job man.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Thanks everyone! I started in 69th position and worked my way up from there. It was an awesome experience. On the first lap when we rounded the corner by the beer garden I couldn't believe how loud the crowd was....I could hear nothing but screaming and cow bell! Racing in Oregon is definitely an experience! :D I'll scratch together some photos.

<edit> Here we go

I started to pedal and slide out, the guy who took the photo said I was completely sideways at the apex....and somehow I managed to ride out of it

Here is a great crash during the women's race. I saw a lot of hard crashes first hand during the A race. It was a very physical race....everyone wanted to do well.

Last edited:

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Good job Brett! Local boy(from here) got 7th. We also put some kids on te podium
Impressive! It was damn hard racing across all of the classes this weekend.

congrats ire! what class do you race?
Elite Men. Next year I'll be able to race the age group 30-35 on Saturday. One of the guys I bump elbows with on a regular basis placed 3rd. I would like to try and win that race next year :D

Photoshop opportunity right there.

Congrats.
The impressive thing about that photo is that she never took her eyes off the upcoming corner.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I wish I had my camera for the Unofficial Clydesdale Championship of the Universe race on Saturday night. It was absolutley hilarious with lots of costumes.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Oh yes, and I am the Female Gold Sprints champion from the after party. It was horrible. For the finals we had to chug a beer (it was some super crappy light beer), and then race. I DO NOT drink light beer or anything remotely golden and I thought that alone would make me puke.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
Oh yes, and I am the Female Gold Sprints champion from the after party. It was horrible. For the finals we had to chug a beer (it was some super crappy light beer), and then race. I DO NOT drink light beer or anything remotely golden and I thought that alone would make me puke.
Your desire to win is stronger than Brett's, clearly. I wouldn't dare drink a light beer. Win or no win. It's like being an independent musician and signing to a big label. :think:

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Your desire to win is stronger than Brett's, clearly. I wouldn't dare drink a light beer. Win or no win. It's like being an independent musician and signing to a big label. :think:
:rofl:

Good job! I never did well with anything that required pounding a beer and exercise

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I actually cheated slightly and let most of it spill down my chin onto the floor.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Here is a nice write up about Nationals....it was an amazing event.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/remembering-us-cyclo-cross-nationals

Remembering US Cyclo-cross Nationals

The mud and snow are barely cleaned from the jerseys and bikes of the thousands who raced at the US Cyclo-cross National Championships last weekend in Bend, Oregon. And the memories are still fresh in the minds of all who attended, including photographer Dave McElwaine, who provided many of the images of the championships seen on Cyclingnews.

"It was the best cyclo-cross national championships that I've ever been to. USAC should be really proud," said McElwaine to Cyclingnews. "The town of Bend turned out to be the perfect blend of location and weather. The town itself was great... We had an ideal setup, the crowds were enormous, the course was fantastic and the conditions were epic."

Relive the fun by checking out McElwaine's favorite photos. Links to complete galleries of photos, many yet unpublished, can be found for the elite, collegiate, juniors, masters and singlespeed races.

McElwaine described the buzz that surrounded the race and racers who turned up in droves. "Racers loved it and can't wait to go back. I feel the same way."

Fortunately, everyone will have that chance. In 2010, cyclo-cross nationals return to Bend on December 9-12.

Follow Cyclingnews on Twitter for the very latest coverage of events taking place in the cycling world - twitter.com/cyclingnewsfeed