Quantcast

Contemplating returning to the Gates fold.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
It has nothing to do with functionality, either. When I move next Wednesday, it's unlikely I'll have hardwire to the internets, and there are no wireless cards out there that work with a Hackintosh.

Mourn with me, fellow members of the Church of Apple. :shakefist::(

Now, the big question:

XP
XP 64
or
VISTA?!?!

Ubuntu is out of the running, doesn't work with Adobe software.

oiswego

Monkey
Oct 24, 2005
New Yawk
says you. what adobe software are you referring to?
i've been able to run any adobe release i've ever needed to with linux.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
says you. what adobe software are you referring to?
i've been able to run any adobe release i've ever needed to with linux.
Photoshop, Lightroom, Illustrator.

Can they be run reliably and fast on Linux? IE, no virtual machines or emulators.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
If you were willing to abandon both Adobe and your fear, I would say go Ubuntu.

Other than that, XP Pro. Fvck Vista in the neck.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
If you were willing to abandon both Adobe and your fear, I would say go Ubuntu.

Other than that, XP Pro. Fvck Vista in the neck.
I have no fear, I'm running Ubuntu on my gf's laptop and I like it quite a bit...but abandoning Adobe is no bueno, can't ditch something that makes some coin.

I think I might go XP 64.

oiswego

Monkey
Oct 24, 2005
New Yawk
you can't have windows programs on linux without wine obviously.
windows programs are written to use certain libraries...these libraries need to interpreted through wine.

so you no, you can't drive a car without an engine. and before you go 64 bit, make sure adobe provides 64 bit versions of the programs.

64 v 32 programs = look for different libraries in different places.
i.e.: /lib/libcrypt.so != /lib64/libcrypt.so

and remember--whatever program you use in windows, there are counterparts for free/cheap in unix/linux. the deciding factor (usually) is a user becomes comfortable with a certain program, and is afraid of using/trying anything different.

i'd give it a shot---hell, even set up dual-boot and try to run your programs with crossover.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
and remember--whatever program you use in windows, there are counterparts for free/cheap in unix/linux. the deciding factor (usually) is a user becomes comfortable with a certain program, and is afraid of using/trying anything different.
One thing I have learned around here - NEVER try to get an Adobe user to go with GIMP or Inkscape. You might as well try to sell a golf cart to a Nascar driver.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
One thing I have learned around here - NEVER try to get an Adobe user to go with GIMP or Inkscape. You might as well try to sell a golf cart to a Nascar driver.
:busted:

GIMP and the like do not compare to Adobe products on a professional level. Lightroom is a godsend.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
:busted:

GIMP and the like do not compare to Adobe products on a professional level. Lightroom is a godsend.
That said, I use GIMP and UFRAW all the time and I love it. Once you break the interface habits that Photoshop instills and get used to the right clicking and the weird quirks in GIMP it works well. Considering the price, it works AMAZINGLY well.

Scribus rocks too.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
TinyXP SP3 installed. I must say, I'm quite impressed with this XP release. The amount of drivers included in the install package are a godsend.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Not its not. It has nothing to do with paint other than the name. Its made by some guys from MIT.
I just used it dude. It's basically just like Paint or Office Picture Manager or "___________" (any other generic image editor) with some layer and history functionality.

Me < Impressed

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I guess I'll have send the SS after your Open SSL hole:brows:
Didn't we already determine that I run Update Manager every day and it was probably already patched before you PM'd me about it and that SS is a skirt wearing cock chortle?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Didn't we already determine that I run Update Manager every day and it was probably already patched before you PM'd me about it and that SS is a skirt wearing cock chortle?
Well maybe I meant the SS, not SS. That or Microsoft. Whatever is more evil:huh:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
11,000 posts, H8R. Nicely done! :thumb:

syadasti - I've already installed a couple back doors into H8R's PC. Anything you want off of it? :brows:

And since he doesn't actually know jack $hit about Linux, he'll never find them. :muaaahahahaha:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
How about some scripts that randomly alter settings and move files around, hide folders/icons/etc.

Maybe worse like something that tunes into music streams playing really crappy music - got any suggestions?

It would be cool to make EMF focusing device so random radiowaves play through the speakers. I've seen that happen on some people's computer speakers. Just have to be "lucky" to receive the interference.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
11,000 posts, H8R. Nicely done! :thumb:

syadasti - I've already installed a couple back doors into H8R's PC. Anything you want off of it? :brows:

And since he doesn't actually know jack $hit about Linux, he'll never find them. :muaaahahahaha:
Have you ever even kissed a girl?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
My new house in Santa Cruz has an ethernet port in my room for the network.

GUESS WHO BE REINSTALLING OSX?!?!?!?