Quantcast

Continental Der Kaiser

Vule

Chimp
Apr 6, 2006
Island Of Korcula
How do they compare to minion dhf or highroller 3c?
Do they work ok with 823 rims and stan's sealant? (compared to maxxis non tubeless on 823 with sealant)?
What is the actual weight? (Cont. claimed 1000g but i doubt it) :think:
Which one would you prefer (maxxis 3c or der kaiser) for loose over hard and rocky terrain?
Any other useful info?
Thnx

Gelbwurstbrot

Monkey
Jul 31, 2004
Franken, Germany
Kaiser is like the Minion and the Rain King is like the Highroller and Swampthing
The rubber is very Soft. Like 40 or even softer but lasts as long as a 60a Maxxis
The rollig resistance from the Rain King is quit high on hard pack but he has amizing grip.

Both weight the same as 2.5 Maxxis but the puncture resistance is better. I am able to ride with less than 2 bar (29 psi) which I was never able with a Maxxis tire. The 1000g weight is from the first prototypes.

If the soil is realy dry and hard the Minion is maybe the better tire because of the lesser rolling resistace.

I will never buy a Highroller, Swampthing oder Muddy Mary because of the Rain King, but maybe I will stick with the Minion.

Kaiser front (more grip) and Minion F rear (faster rolling) would be the best of both. I have heart that Conti will bring a harder compound. This would be a good rear tire.

Hope you can understand my english :rolleyes:

Racebike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2008
Sweden
I've tried them out (Kaiser) and they work great!

They are slightly larger than the Maxxis tire (2,5 kaiser looks like 2,7 maxxis) but that's not an issue. I found that the sidewalls are a bit stiffer on the Kaiser-tire than Maxxis dual-ply.

I ran just a tad lower pressure in them compared to Maxxis to get the same feel, I felt they were a bit "springy" (like 3C) and that went away when I lowered them down.

Very sticky rubber indeed! Hard to tell but I would say they roll like the 40A 2,5" Minions give or take.
Ran them on trails with a lot of rocks/roots and they worked perfectly, no issues with punctures, but I don't have a problem with Maxxis dual-ply either.

Very gradual "slip" when you corner like the highroller, makes everything predictable.

I put the two I got to test on a scale, one was 1265 grams, the other 1280 grams.

They were a bit easier to get on the rims compared to Maxxis (I run tubes) so I guess they will be a slight hassle when it comes to sealing.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I've been using them this season and my experience mirrors what others are saying. Mine weighed out around 1250 grams (about 100g less than a 2.5 3C Minion). The rubber is really soft but they are wearing really great. I found about 29psi rear and 27psi front to be ideal. They work well in all but the sloppiest conditions - they tend to pack up a bit on the side knobs in the muck. I've been very happy with them.

eater

Monkey
Nov 25, 2005
Switzerland
the sidewall on der kaiser is horrible against the maxxis dualplay casing!! i got two time snakebites with 2.4bar in. now back on maxxis minion love it!!

Vule

Chimp
Apr 6, 2006
Island Of Korcula
the sidewall on der kaiser is horrible against the maxxis dualplay casing!! i got two time snakebites with 2.4bar in. now back on maxxis minion love it!!
Anyone else with same problems? I've switched to maxxis 2 ply super tacky regular tire instead of UST because I had constantly the same ("Snakebite") thing happening on maxxis ust with 823 rims...
I don't won't to buy the Conti's that costs almost 100$ and than have the same problems with pinch-flats that I had with maxxis ust. :confused:

Does anyone else riding them tubless on 823?