Quantcast

Controls, who makes them for smaller hands?

DiRt DeViL

Monkey
Feb 6, 2005
CNY
My son's bike came with Shimano 105 controls and he can't shift to the big ring on his own. We either stop and make the shift or he'll pull the lever from the other side until it shifts.

Is a manufacturer out there that makes shifters for small handed people?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
If not, how about switching to those twist-grip shifters or rapid-fire used on mtb?

I know it costs money, but it's an idea.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
You might also play with the adjustment of the front derailleur. I have worked with a lot of women who are 5'2" and smaller, and I have not heard about this shifting problem.

Possibly, the front derailleur is not adjusted properly, and you are pulling too much cable.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
A few thoughts:

Shifting into the big ring requires some amount of speed. He may not be spinning fast enough for the bike to shift well. One "rule of thumb" that I heard a while back is that you should be spinning (not grinding) at ~20mph or above to get smooth shifts into the big ring.

Have you considered a compact road crankset (34/46T)? I know a lot of racers who swear by them. My gf's coach is a former Olympian and recommended them and they work very well.

I have seen Shimano equiped womens' bikes that come with shims that hold the shifter closer to the handle bar. It would be very easy to makes some. They are amount 3mm thick. They fit into the gap that opens up as you pull on the brakes.

Related to the shims, there are a number of bars available with bends that position the levers closer to the bar.

He also may not be holding the shifter in long enough. A lot of people release the shifter as soon as they feel a click and do not understand why the bike does not shift well, if at all. On the front shifter especially, when you bottom out the lever the derr will move slightly passed the final position. When the shift is completed and the lever released, the derr moves back ~1mm or so closer to the frame. If I confused you on this one, put the bike in a stand a watch what the derr does as you shift the bike. Its not somehting that you would necessarily notice while riding.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
He's indeed running a compact set, Gossamer 50/34.

Where can I get those shims?
Looks like others beat me to the shim source, but you may also want to look into a Shimano big ring. Not many rings shift as well as Shimano. No need to replace the small ring b/c no shifting ramps.

Where was the race? Outside the USA? Looks like Spanish on the police vehicles.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
someone mentioned SRAM. no. way too much lever throw for that to be worthwhile.

i like the Shimano ring idea, as well as the bar-end shifter idea. also, have one of the mechanics putz around with how the cable is routed - perhaps he'll be able to clamp it so that the lever pulls more cable. that's doable with the rear...never tried in front, though.

not a big fan of the shims, and how they affect the brakes, but i don't have small hands.

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
Specialized also makes shims. They even come in two different thicknesses. Using shims to bring the levers closer to the bars can make a lot of difference in shifting effort and hand strain for small handed people. Make sure to get the shims for your particular levers though. They're not universal (thanks Shimano, for such wonderful designed incompatibility).

DiRt DeViL

Monkey
Feb 6, 2005
CNY
I've been trying to get them online but can't find them, Specialized does sell online to where I live.

Any online sources for the Slim Shims?

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Cool pics. One other htought about the shifting: Did the compact crankset come with the bike? If the bike came with a triple, that would cause big shifting problems.

DiRt DeViL

Monkey
Feb 6, 2005
CNY
Cool pics. One other htought about the shifting: Did the compact crankset come with the bike? If the bike came with a triple, that would cause big shifting problems.
The bike came with a triple drivetrain, everything was replaced to double when the crankset was changed to compact.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
I'll look around for the shims at the shop. I know that the Shimano R600 shifters are the short reach equivalent to Ultegra and come with the shims. They are spendy, but will solve your problem. If you don't find any, PM me. We might even have the short reach STIs, but I don't recall for how much, and it's likely easier to get them where you are, but if I can help, let me know.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
possibly...send me a PM with where you live, which shifters you've got, and what size shim you want. price would likely be $9.99 + about $5 to ship.

DiRt DeViL

Monkey
Feb 6, 2005
CNY
After to talking to 2 coaches (including my son's) yesterday have reached the conclusion that a bar end or thumb shifter is the way to go.

Shims won't help, he just can't push the lever enough for it to shift.

My question now is, will a bar end shifter fit inside the end of the handlebar? I've never seen one installed on the drops of a road bike before.

Who sells individual bar end shifters? Don't want to buy a full set for just the left.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
well, i found out today that we could ship them to you, but that's a moot point now.

if you have a decent shop around, see if they have a single bar end. i know we've got quite a few sitting around. and yes, they can be installed on the drop of a roadie bar.

It is doable. I worked in a shop that solt alot of raod bikes. The Shimano WSD shifters (comprable to ultegra) are made to have a shorter push over to the big ring. I believe they have a spfter spring in them aswell, but im not positive. You can tune the front mech to be a little rough, but have a shorter throw. I cant find them on the shimano website....:(

DiRt DeViL

Monkey
Feb 6, 2005
CNY
I'm still debating, thumb or bar end shifter?

Will only be the left one but I'm affraid of the kid hitting the shifter with his knee.

If I were to go with thumbies, near the stem?