Quantcast

Converting 2008 FOX 36Talas to Float?

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
I've posted this on the tech talk forum but haven't got any answer...

So basically Im not using the travel adjustment that much and wondering if it would be "feasable" to convert my Talas to a Float.

I couldn't find enough info on FOX tech center to lead me to think its possible .I guess it could be a bit costly but does anyone know if it can be done?

Both Air springs look completely different I know but if I could get the air spring,top cap would I be in business?

w0ntwan

Chimp
Apr 2, 2004
San Luis Obispo
I've converted an old 36 talas where the talas wasn't working any more to essentially a float...Really all you need is the lower piston and the air top cap, seems to work pretty well, haven't had any issues with it.

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
I've converted an old 36 talas where the talas wasn't working any more to essentially a float...Really all you need is the lower piston and the air top cap, seems to work pretty well, haven't had any issues with it.
Thanks that's the answer I was looking for ...and as for not touching the knob , well Im not that dumb... I could have figured that out myself.:crazy:

For some reason the Float compare to a Talas isn't as "sticky" and it certainly has less friction . Im thinking it might be because of the travel adjustment knob...Plus it would make the fork lighter...ok that one might not be a good reason to do the mod... :redface:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Thanks that's the answer I was looking for ...and as for not touching the knob , well Im not that dumb... I could have figured that out myself.:crazy:

For some reason the Float compare to a Talas isn't as "sticky" and it certainly has less friction . Im thinking it might be because of the travel adjustment knob...Plus it would make the fork lighter...ok that one might not be a good reason to do the mod... :redface:
I've owned a talas and float 32 version and there was no difference at all in 'stiction'

You may have something else going on....like a misaligned bushing in your talas.

w0ntwan

Chimp
Apr 2, 2004
San Luis Obispo
I've noticed a small difference, not huge though, going from a talas to float. But it was two different forks and that does leave open the possibility of different reasons why they felt different. But mine was pretty sweet. Even ran it at 80mm for a while...wasn't plush but perfect for dirt jumping...