Quantcast

converting sram shifters

_*sTiTcHeS*_

Monkey
Apr 24, 2006
can you take the internal gears and what not out of the right shifter and place it in the left?

i want to run a hammerschmidt shifter on the right with my rear brake and not my front.

zebrahum

Monkey
Jun 22, 2005
SL,UT
Well, you could get a thumb shifter and run it in friction mode. Not real bling but it'll get the job done. I don't know if there are any right hand front shifters available, I've never seen one.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
I have a hard enough time just getting shifters back together. If you try it please take pics and post about it. That's an interesting idea.

You could just hook it up to a right shifter. It may take 2 or 3 clicks to pull the proper amount of cable, but it will work.

_*sTiTcHeS*_

Monkey
Apr 24, 2006
i'm pretty particular so i want to make this happen otherwise i'll probably not even bother whit the hammerschimdt. i have a bad left thumb aswell.

is it possible though? anyone done this? anyone work at sram and know?

_*sTiTcHeS*_

Monkey
Apr 24, 2006
Ummm... you are pretty much my god. Thankyou so much.

I did call sram one day and asked them about it but the guy on the phone warned me and told me it was not a good idea, not safe, and absolutely not possible. So I told him that if it was possible I'd call him back, just to say I told you so. But really, I just want to have a hammerschmidt shifter that doesn't require my left thumb.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
I did call sram one day and asked them about it but the guy on the phone warned me and told me it was not a good idea, not safe, and absolutely not possible.
The tech was just watching his back legally. He was also being a pansy. That would work with a little fiddling.

I have a sram x-9 shifter that I took apart (left). The indexing is all done with a flat disc that looks like it might be interchangeable with the right side. This could work.

Last edited:

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
With the assumption that the shifter levers and bodies are mirror images of each other and that the indexing rings are flippable, then yes I think it could be done. If memory serves, the hammerschmidt uses a special X9 shifter pod. I don't think the indexing ring is flippable.... then again, I've never taken apart one of those special shifter pods yet.