Quantcast

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
And on this day, I'd like to thank our President for his leadership, fearlessly guiding us through the War on Christmas.

I now feel safe to wish people merry Christmas again. About 300K less of them due to his incompetence, but thats a small price to pay for utterly devastating a non-existent foe.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Every once in a while Rawstory has a decent read.

popcorn dot gif

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
More [facepalm] from my Trumper father yesterday. They bought a property in Dripping Springs, TX "because CA is too expensive and they only want to take your money if you're successful". Mind, his successful financial position involves a large inheritance from my step-gma that landed in early 2009 (talk about timing), a Boeing pension worth ane egregious amount (retirement planned wouldn't be possible without it), and an appreciation of $600k+ in their Orange County house since 1997.
Additional comments while telling me about their new property purchase and how the "property taxes in this area of TX aren't that high" (sure pops; let me know how that works out when you're used to Prop 13 protection at $2500/yr on a $1mm house). For conversation, see below:

"I hear people talking about how bad 2020 was. It was great for us! Mom gets to work from home, I got to WFH until I retired, our investments skyrocketed, we were able to go on two great road trips (ID to see grandparents; Southwest & TX for sister over Xmas)."

"Dad, if your job involved customer service or manufacturing in any way and wasn't flexible enough to work remote (which is usually only a very upper-middle class option), there was a 60% chance you would have lost your job. Over half the country is behind on rent or their mtge. A third of the country still is unemployed. And if you have kids, who are now schooled remote, you very likely can't go back to work because there is no way to drop them off, so you have to stay home.

It was great for you because you're rich, I can show you the stats if you'd like. You have no debt. You are retired with more money set aside than 99% of retirees (and 99.6% of the population) in this country. It might have been great for you, because you are in the golden cow position.

It wasn't great for [sister] or me if you actually listened to what we said. We got crushed with kids at home. [Sister]'s business fell by over half and she had to go back to contract work for [huge company]. My business was good, but because I got a temporary account that was with huge balances. I don't have that account this year and it's looking like 2021 will be a lot more challenging. You haven't come to visit us since summer and even then, only because you effectively forced it, making us go into quarantine for 2 weeks afterwards - which is mean as hell to an 8 y/o when she and her friends already quarantined so they could play openly with each other.
We barely get to see our friends. The girls barely get to see their friends. Neither had a b-day party. Just because you disregard safety rules and still see your friends multiple times per week doesn't mean the rest of the country or world do."
"Well I disagree with it being a bad year."
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

It's like arguing with a fucking toddler.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
It was great for you because you're rich
They never think they are rich.

Luckily, my parents cycled out of the "Texas" thing, moving twice in Texas, but realizing it was stifling to doing anything outdoors and that body health and quality of life were impossible to attain there. They moved to the high country in AZ, but it's 1000x better than it was for them in San Antonio or the Hill Country, where summer's would just be so brutal you couldn't do anything outdoors. There was nowhere to go too, with no real public land. And if they wanted to go anywhere significantly different, it's hours and hours of driving when you are in the middle of Texas. They found that by getting healthy, they are now able to enjoy their older years and do stuff that they couldn't do 5 years before. My Dad hikes miles every day now.

Last edited:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
They never think they are rich.
Exactly. A lot of his friends are higher up the scale, so he compares to them. He's not rich compared to them, so he's not rich. But to the other 99% of the country? I have ground level interaction with a true sample of this country, even higher than the average, and they are comparatively paupers.

This is a man who used to buy kiln dried, but non-planed wood boards because it was cheaper to spend the time hand planing boards, because he couldn't afford the already planed wood. It's just... Mind boggling.