Quantcast

Cool "vintage" stuff...

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
What is/are the cool retro mtb items that you search for or buy if you stumble across? Even though I almost always run a CamelBak, I still love and pick up these every chance I get...

1614174335931.png

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I ride 26" bikes, so for me basically everything wheel-related is considered vintage. ;)

Last edited:

Blown240

Monkey
Nov 19, 2013
I love vintage bikes... Ive got several
1993 Amp Research B2
1995 Stumpjumper FSR Sport
1996 Gary Fisher Marlin
1998 Gary Fisher Ziggurat

I almost bought a 1994 Rockhopper the other day, but the guy wanted too much.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Instill have my 1997 Litespeed Ocoee. I occasionally ride it around running errands. Every time I hop on it I am just shocked how squirrelly the handling is. I feel like it is trying to kill me and don't understand how I didn't die riding it. It's wheelbase is over 8" shorter than my current hardtail.

Last edited:

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Instill have my 1997 Litespeed Ocoee. I occasionally ride it around running errands. Every time I hop on it I am just shocked how squirrelly the handling is. I feel like it is trying to kill me and don't understand how I didn't die riding it. It's wheelbase is over 8" shorter than my current hardtail.
Crazy squirrelly - I had one too and it tried to kill me.

I wish I still had my Iron Horse Sunday.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
that’s called “quick steering for tight singletrack” :))) or so they said back then.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
that’s called “quick steering for tight singletrack” :))) or so they said back then.

It was quick, if a mosquito hit your pinky the bike would turn 90 degrees.

Actually the fastest I have ever gone on a bicycle was on that thing. 62 MPH going down the road in front of Wintergreen Resort. As twitchy as it was, I felt more confident on that than I did on a road bike, by a good 10 MPH.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I am finally putting on the 11 speed and new tires next month. I have not weight it since the carbon cranks and tossed E13 guide.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
154B883F-24FB-481A-B00B-C253B2DEED96.jpeg

I love restoring old bikes. Current project back from the powder coating shop. You’ll note I’ve ground off all the huge ugly welds.

CD2F531F-CF50-4875-9077-2069739258B9.jpeg

89C5AB22-CB23-4B00-BB91-F9B7DAE3A24D.jpeg

Previously:

F56AF8DE-2D0F-423D-BCF6-96E0F58EEC25.jpeg

Also got some Mavic D321 rims for period-correctness, Thomson seat post, and even some old XT 4-pots from the first time around. Gonna be cool.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Did either of you guys have any trouble removing or reinstalling any of those bearings on any of those frames? Did you use an exploded diaphragm to help you with (dis)assembly?
I tried calling Mike Sinyard directly to ask which side the chainstay pivot bushings come out, and the motherfuckers at Specialized WOULDN'T PUT HIM ON THE LINE. I also wanted to ask for a new frame under warranty because this one is old, but so much for that.

0/10 customer service, will never take another free 23yo bike again.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Actually getting the main pivot bearings out of that Orange was a bit of a pain. Involved a lot of tightening and loosening.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I know I will be castigated for this...but I cant buy vintage bikes. Simply because I feel bad when I have a bike that isnt getting an equal shred of time like the others are. That look they give you when you wheel another one out of the basement/garage/shed/bedroom to ride it...I just cant handle that emotionally. I feel its disrespectful tot he spirit of the bike...

crashmtb

Chimp
Dec 14, 2020
View attachment 157047
I love restoring old bikes. Current project back from the powder coating shop. You’ll note I’ve ground off all the huge ugly welds.

View attachment 157048
View attachment 157049

Previously:

View attachment 157050

Also got some Mavic D321 rims for period-correctness, Thomson seat post, and even some old XT 4-pots from the first time around. Gonna be cool.
Oranges do not have ugly welds. When I had a Patriot I rode it to work, at a job shop that mostly did aluminum & stainless. The welders loved that bike. Especially the downtube seam

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I have an XTR M900 group in excellent shape laying around for the last few years that I havent gotten around to using yet. I also have a mid 90's Diamondback DBR WCF frame
8 speed XTR M900? What condition is the right shifter, cassette, and chain?

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
8 speed XTR M900? What condition is the right shifter, cassette, and chain?
Pretty good shape. Guy I got them from lubed everything and put it in individual lip loc bags. even the boots for the brake levers are in good shape. I have thought about finding an old bike to build up with it but a lot of guys with old frames and forks are starting to realize how cool their stuff is.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Oranges do not have ugly welds. When I had a Patriot I rode it to work, at a job shop that mostly did aluminum & stainless. The welders loved that bike. Especially the downtube seam
Yes, the welds are/were very well executed, but they were everywhere, and the bike looks so much sleeker now. That’s what I mean.

I ground off the downtube seam too.:butcher:

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Pretty good shape. Guy I got them from lubed everything and put it in individual lip loc bags. even the boots for the brake levers are in good shape. I have thought about finding an old bike to build up with it but a lot of guys with old frames and forks are starting to realize how cool their stuff is.
I think it’s fun to slap a nice wide ranged 1x11 speed group on those old bikes, no doubt they have hyperglide freehubs. It makes them a lot more useful.

Alternatively I did a build with an old cable brake lever and XT shifter 8 speed setup, those old 8 speed XT shifters do look awesome, they have a particular squared-off cool aesthetic, and luckily I had a long cage derailleur and bought a Zitto 8 speed cassette with a real wide range. (That Zitto stuff is surprisingly good quality btw, it’s not Shimano good of course, but it’s as least as good as cheaper SRAM.)

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
I think it’s fun to slap a nice wide ranged 1x11 speed group on those old bikes, no doubt they have hyperglide freehubs. It makes them a lot more useful.

Alternatively I did a build with an old cable brake lever and XT shifter 8 speed setup, those old 8 speed XT shifters do look awesome, they have a particular squared-off cool aesthetic, and luckily I had a long cage derailleur and bought a Zitto 8 speed cassette with a real wide range. (That Zitto stuff is surprisingly good quality btw, it’s not Shimano good of course, but it’s as least as good as cheaper SRAM.)
That's what I did on this old Voodoo for my nephew. Deore 1x11 with some ardent skinwall tires. Fresh oil in the Marzocchi and the thing is ready to shred!

dylan.jpg