Quantcast

Copper Plating a Bike Frame

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
So my team and I are currently looking at what we want to do in terms of painting our race rigs for this season. Being the true pimps we all are I have come across the idea of copper plating our frames. I know that you can copper plate AL, and if we had a good strong Powdercoat clearcoat applied ontop of it is there any reason that copper plating a DH rig wouldnt work?

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
yeah but the copper would reflect the light from the photographers flash, destroying any pictures he would have of you and your team. its quantum physics with a little calc, its a fact.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Alum can't be easily plated. Nothing sticks to alum when it comes to plating.
That, and copper plating is fricken pricey.
And your bike would look like a big penny

scottmeister

Chimp
Dec 21, 2005
Australia
Bah copper plating. How about Nickel plating? Looks teh leet. Dunno who does it in the US, but check out www.electromold.com.au

I custom painted a frame of mine a few months back, a purple-gold-blue chameleon. Looked very unique. Otherwise stick to powdercoating or maybe anodizing if you value your savings account.

I could probably post some pics of my old chameleon bike up if people are interested.

Potroast88 said:
Copper turns green unless you constantly polish it.
Not any more. It turns a dark brown - the changed the manufacturing process quite a few years back and it no longer naturally oxidizes to green.

scottmeister said:
Bah copper plating. How about Nickel plating? Looks teh leet. Dunno who does it in the US, but check out www.electromold.com.au

I custom painted a frame of mine a few months back, a purple-gold-blue chameleon. Looked very unique. Otherwise stick to powdercoating or maybe anodizing if you value your savings account.

I could probably post some pics of my old chameleon bike up if people are interested.
Nickel has the longevity of spoiled cabbage.

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
I also have considered copper plating a frame. Steel is probably a better material to plate than aluminum. To protect the copper you will not want to use a powder coat, use a clear urethane auto paint. The temperatures at which the clear powder coat is applied will cause the copper to discolor. The plating will also add a few ounces of weight. You are probably looking at a few hundred $ per frame for this. Like mentioned above a copper colored powder coat or copper ano is probably the best solution.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
chrome plating and copper plating also put undue stress on the welds during the plating process, that could cause the frames to fail prematurely

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Why wouldn't you just copper anodize it? So you can say, "My frame is copper plated even though it looks almost exactly the same as a copper anodized frame, except heavier, more expensive, and if I ding up the clearcoat it'll oxidize"?

Is there a good reason for the plating? :confused:

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
binary visions said:
Why wouldn't you just copper anodize it? So you can say, "My frame is copper plated even though it looks almost exactly the same as a copper anodized frame, except heavier, more expensive, and if I ding up the clearcoat it'll oxidize"?

Is there a good reason for the plating? :confused:
:stupid:

scottmeister

Chimp
Dec 21, 2005
Australia
johnbryanpeters said:
Nickel has the longevity of spoiled cabbage.
Care to expand?

Electroless Nickel plating is quite hard and wear/corrosion resistant. Has a hardness of up to 70 Rockwell C- more than hard anodizing. Hmm, what does FTW use on the rear end of R9s again?